UPDATE: Blogs force Cosgrove to withdraw disturbing miscarriage bill

Wow! After the story of Virginia Delegate John Cosgrove’s bill requiring women who miscarry to report the occurrence to a local law enforcement agency (or go to jail!) spread through the blogosphere, the outcry was so intense that he withdrew the bill!
From the Augusta Free Press:
“I’ve elected to withdraw HB 1677 from consideration by the General Assembly this year. The language is just too confusing…”
Cosgrove’s surprise move came after a firestorm of controversy spread across the World Wide Web over the weekend about the possible far-reaching effects of the measure.

Cosgrove was clearly shaken over the response his bill generated:
“I’ve never been blogged before. The tone of the e-mails has been disgusting.I was absolutely mistreated on this.
He was mistreated? What about the women who would have been affected by his fucking bizarre bill? I’d say they would have been a lot worse off than “mistreated!” Sorry if I can’t muster up any sympathy.

Via Daily Kos.

and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted January 11, 2005 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

You know, I’m a fucking moron. I actually thought he might be grateful that people called to his attention the hurtful unintended consequences of his stupid bill. I know that if I were a legislator and I’d penned a bill that was supposed to criminalize infanticide but would actually torment grieving parents, that’s how I’d feel. I’ve got to stop expecting right-wingers to behave like human beings.

2. NancyP
    Posted January 11, 2005 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Legislators exist to get themselves re-elected. A few also keep in contact with the needs of people. These are the minority.

3. Posted January 11, 2005 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Whether that’s true or not, I don’t think that bill as it was written would have improved his chances for re-election. He’s in a conservative district, but conservatives have miscarriages, too.

4. Posted January 11, 2005 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Conservatives do have miscarriages, but this bill was ripe for selective enforcement — reminds me in a way of bias problems with diagnosis of fetal alcohol syndrome. Cf., e.g., Elizabeth Armstrong, Conceiving Risk, Bearing Responsibility, Chapter 5.

5. stew
    Posted January 11, 2005 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

This blog helped do this. You fucking rock !!

6. Posted January 11, 2005 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

I blogged about this. Maybe if Cosgrove read what we had to say–heck, maybe if he considered what women go through in this fetus-worshipping era–he’d understand why people were so angry.
    Cry me a river, Johnny.

7. Andrea
    Posted January 11, 2005 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Go to “The Well-Timed Period” blog if you want to see someone who singlehandedly and tirelessly worked to bring down this bill: http://thewelltimedperiod.blogspot.com/.

8. Olivia
    Posted January 11, 2005 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

I don’t know. It was a dumb bill, but I feel sorry for the guy. I did send Cosgrove an e-mail, but it was nothing particularly nasty. Actually, I thought it was rather polite. From the Virginian-Pilot:
    “[Cosgrove] was shaken by the speed and volume of the response as word of his bill traveled across the country via the Internet.
    ‘I’ve never been blogged before,’ he said. ‘The tone of the e-mails has been disgusting. It’s, ‘You’re a horrible person. You ought to be crucified.’ And those were the nice ones.’
    Cosgrove said his bill was intended to add more teeth to laws penalizing women who abandon full-term infants after birth….
    Cosgrove became interested in the issue after two infants’ bodies were discovered in Chesapeake in recent years. He said the 12-hour time limit was chosen to ensure that a coroner could examine the body and determine whether the infant had been born alive or dead.
    ‘I would never, ever impose something like that on a woman who had a miscarriage,’ he said.
    The lawmaker proposed a similar measure two years ago that specified only live births and stillbirths after 24 weeks that occurred without medical assistance….
    Cosgrove said he spent the weekend responding to all 500-plus e-mails he received from people as far away as California and Texas.”

9. Sonya Klarson
    Posted September 7, 2009 at 8:57 am | Permalink

We are caught between a rock and a hard place. The simultaneous rise of the risk and creativity agenda is one of the great paradoxes of our time, with risk avoidance strategies often cancelling out inventiveness. Creativity, openness and risk-taking are demanded of us to be competitive in a globalized world and to be inventive to adapt to 21st century needs. At the same time creativity is denied.