We all know the big names in national repro justice organizing — Planned Parenthood, NARAL — and they undoubtedly do incredible work. Too often, though, we overlook the groups that directly help people on the ground address unjust financial barriers (fuck Hyde) to access the care they need: local abortion funds. We’ve included five favorites below — a couple in the middle of big fundraising pushes right now — and check out the National Network of Abortion Funds for a fund near you.
- Lilith Fund (@lilithfund): We raise money to help Texans pay for an abortion when they can’t afford it. Lilith is a member of @AbortionFunds and team #reprojustice.
- EMA Fund (@EMA_Fund): The EMA Fund helps people who live in, or are having abortions in, Eastern Massachusetts and are unable to pay for their abortions.
- NYAAF (@NYAAF): The New York Abortion Access Fund provides financial assistance to anyone who’s unable to pay fully for an abortion and is living in or travelling to NY.
- TEA Fund (@TEAFund): The TEA Fund helps low-income & disadvantaged women in the North Texas area who want an abortion and do not have enough money to pay for it.
- DC Abortion Fund (@DCAbortionFund): Our rights shouldn’t depend on the size of our wallet. We help pregnant people in D.C., Virginia, & Maryland pay for their abortion care.
Leave recommendations for next week in the comments! We’re particularly interested in activists covering their work on the ground. And of course follow @feministing.
Alexandra Brodsky spends too much time on the internet.