So, ICYMI: we’re fundraising. Just three days after the launch of our Kickstarter, we’ve raised $13,767 — nearly half of our goal. We’ve been really overwhelmed by your support: most of the money we’re raised has come in the form of $10 or $15 donations from loyal readers, which makes us feel like we must be doing something right. Our fundraising advisory board has also been essential for our success thus far. Some of our personal feminist heroes are guiding our efforts behind the scenes and offering some sweet perks for donors (the most recent: our own Academic Feminist, Gwendolyn Beetham, will review and make suggestions on a reader’s grad school app to a women’s/gender studies program). Here are five of our FAB members you should definitely follow:
- Gwendolyn Beetham (@gwendolynb): scholarly queer feminist. lover of baking, books, and brooklyn. curator of the academic feminist @Feministing. regular contributor @UVenus.
- Rinku Sen (@rinkuwrites): Cultural & political strategist. Leader of @racialjustice/
@COLORLINES (pitch to @jamilahking). Author: The Accidental American, Stir It Up.
- Baratunde Thurston (@baratunde): CEO/co-founder @cultivatedwit. author #howtobeblack. formerly @theonion. my tweets represent your employer’s opinion
- Rosario Dawson (@rosariodawson): logy
- Jamie Kilstein (@jamiekilstein): Tells jokes, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu obsessed, doesn’t hate women, doesn’t eat animals. Cohost of @Citizenradio. http://www.wearecitizenradio.com
Nominate for next week’s installment in the comments! We’re particularly looking for activists tweeting about their on-the-ground work. Links appreciated. Of course, make sure to follow @feministing — and give us money! There are a ton of great perks left, including signed books, romantic advice, and a campus organizing strategy session with your truly. Plus, everyone who gives even a dollar gets an invitation to our January wrap party in NYC. I love the internet, but hope to see you IRL there!
Alexandra Brodsky spends too much time on the internet.