Quote of the Day: Bill O’Reilly said something hateful and transphobic because it’s a day ending in Y

Bill O’Reilly is a bigot. Bill O’Reilly is an overall unpleasant human being. Bill O’Reilly still has a television show. Bill O’Reilly still gets ridiculously high ratings. Bill O’Reilly still gets those ratings despite, or perhaps because of, the fact he says really absurd, hateful things, such as this:

“Do you see what I’m saying about Colmes? He’s down with the transgender going into the opposite locker room, but he won’t take the kid to Hooters?”

This came during a segment on his Fox News show where Bill O’Reilly bravely defended an Oregon football coach who took his middle school team to Hooters. I know, I know, hold your applause. In the course of this defense, he compared taking 12 year-olds to a Hooters restaurant to a trans girl (or in Bill O’Reilly’s words “ guy who thinks he’s a girl”) being in the locker room that matches their gender.

Worldwide, 238 trans people have been murdered in the past year, and Bill O’Reilly is acting as if trans people’s existence constitutes some burden.

Bill O’Reilly can go fuck himself.

Mychal Mychal Denzel Smith is a Knobler Fellow at The Nation Institute. Bill O’Reilly is horrible human being with TV show that millions of people watch.

1. Posted November 13, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

” a trans boy (or in Bill O’Reilly’s words “ guy who thinks he’s a girl”)”

That’d be a trans girl, I expect.

2. Posted November 13, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

You just referred to a trans girl as a boy. If you’re going to write an article criticizing transphobia, you probably should be knowledgeable and careful enough not to make that mistake.

• Posted November 13, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

And it’s “her gender” not “their gender”. Ungendering trans people is just as bad as misgendering.

3. Posted November 13, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

a trans boy (or in Bill O’Reilly’s words “ guy who thinks he’s a girl”)

Er, surely, you intended to type “a trans girl” yes?

4. Posted November 14, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

PEOPLE! Maybe focus more on the intent of the article — that is, calling out Bill O’Reilly for being an awful excuse for a human being who truly, sincerely believes his disgusting, transphobic words — instead of the feminist-allied guy, whom is standing up for trans-rights, writing the article accidentally mixing up ‘Trans-boy’ and ‘trans-girl’? I mean, is it really worth EVERYONE losing their shit over that nobody can comment on what a waste of space Bill O’Reilly is?

On a more relavent note, I wish I could find some kind of petition (that hasn’t already been circulated on the site to the point of internet implosion) to FOX telling them to fire O’Reilly for his comments. I can’t — I guess there have been too many of those, already, and since Fox clearly isn’t listening, I fear that everyone might just be giving up. But thanks for bringing this to everyone’s attention.

• Posted November 15, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Just no.

• Posted November 15, 2013 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

I don’t know, I thought responses were pretty measured, not “losing their shit”. I’m pleased to see the article was updated– a “oh oops, thanks” in the comments wouldn’t have hurt either. =p

That said, I don’t think it’s news that Bill O’Reilly is awful. As far as a petition goes, I just don’t see the point. There’s no world in which Fox News would discipline O’Reilly, certainly not for something like this where they’d fully support his transphobia and show it regularly across even their news programs.