Daily Feminist Cheat Sheet

Eighteen-year-old Kaitlyn Hunt was expelled from school and is being charged with a felony for having a lesbian relationship with a fellow student.

Another horrible rape documented on social media. (Trigger warning)

Great piece by Tamara Winfrey Harris on Beyonce and feminism.

The Virginia GOP nominee for AG previously introduced a bill that would have required women who miscarry to report it to the police within 24 hours or risk going to jail.

1. Posted May 20, 2013 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

More attention should be paid to the ignorance demonstrated by the Virginia miscarriage notification bill. It is NOT possible to report “within 24 hours of fetal death” because in the average miscarriage, you don’t know when that is. I’ve had three miscarriages. I’ve also had spotting in a normal pregnancy. Ah yes, I can see the call to your clinic,
    “I’ve got spotting.”
    “Better report to the police station.”
    “But, but– I don’t know whether I’m miscarrying or not. And shouldn’t I be seen by a doctor in case something can be done?”
    “Better not take any chances. Get to the police.”

It can take a week to complete even an early miscarriage–when do you report it, when you are SURE you are miscarrying, or when you are done? And you’re supposed to say where the remains are? I would just LOVE to bring in my bloody tampon from an early miscarriage that acted like a long menstrual period and put it on that idiot’s desk.

People who know nothing about medicine should not be making laws about women’s health.

2. Posted May 21, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Have you seen this tumblr that details the reviews left on punternet?

3. Posted May 21, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Great article by Tamara Winfrey Harris I am tired of these folks coming for Bey.

4. Posted May 21, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Kaitlyn Hunt was expelled from school and being charged with a felony because she allegedly sexually assaulted a minor. She allegedly sexually assaulted a young girl who wasn’t even old enough to consent. You can argue that she didn’t commit the crime she is accused of. Or you could argue we need to be more zealous when prosecuting this sort of sexual assault in cases of straight “relationships”. You can even argue this got reported to the police for the wrong reasons. But she wasn’t charged with a felony for a lesbian relationship.

• Posted May 21, 2013 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

As in the Kiera Wilmot case, it is not the fault of the police for doing their job. If something is reported to the police, they should act on it, and it is up to the prosecutor, judge or grand jury to decide what to do with it. Contrary to claims, young men do get prosecuted and put on sex offender lists for having relationships with girls three years younger, just like young men down to 11 years old get arrested and charged with felonies for setting off bottle bombs.

It’s not quite clear what the ages are, as Yahoo reports Hunt was already 18, and the other girl still 14, when they began the relationship. That needs to be cleared up.

• Posted May 22, 2013 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

I have personal knowledge of one case where a male was accused and charged with a felony for committing statutory rape. This is the first case I have seen of a female who committed the same crime being charged, but I’m sure that’s mostly my not paying a lot of attention.