Daily Feminist Cheat Sheet

Amherst students circulated this ad (for a furniture sale, supposedly) to the entire senior class.

Mia McKenzie on white liberals, racism, and eroding empathy.

Guilty of rape at Oxy? Write a book report.

Learn about the history of gun control in the U.S.

“Imagine being examined for ‘evidence’ by a doctor and telling your single-parent father that his only son was raped. Imagine hearing that this happened to you because you’re gay.”

Brilliant Republican thinks the phrase “Jew me down on a price” is the best way to express himself.

Guernica on recovering work of women writers.

Ali Safran’s story of building Surviving in Numbers has gone viral.

Obama is hosting female senators for dinner tonight. Can’t wait to hear who he thinks is the best looking.

The 2013 Hillman Prizes have been announced.

Tyler Perry has a rape problem.

Everyday Sexism launches in the U.S.

Infographic: Where are the women directors?

A conversation with a single mom living on $40,000 a year.

Girls “need a way to feel safe without hurting each other.”

70K people, including Cesar Chavez’s son, urge the New York Times to drop the i-word.

Stop Eden Food’s crusade against birth control.

Today in WUT.

and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted April 23, 2013 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

Mia McKenzie on why it’s our fault she doesn’t care about tragedies if they involve white people.

• Posted April 24, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

I like how she conviniently forgets that one of the three people killed in Boston was a “Person of Color,” a Chinese national.

Hatred of whites > facts

• Posted April 24, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

3-I on why Mia’s articles are necessary in the first place.

Ever heard of Zurana Horton? Kimani Gray? Those 87 people who died while making the shoes on your feet? There has been massive coverage of people holding marathons in solidarity with the Boston runners, but all Zurana got was people complaining about how taxpayer money is going to provide for her children.

Why should she care the perils of white people when it’s pretty damn obvious that white people don’t care about us?

• Posted April 25, 2013 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Yes, as a matter of fact, I AM aware of those people. And I care about them. Even without media coverage.

Yes, the media is covering- extensively- the Boston bombings, the thing in Texas, stuff all over. And yes, it is biased towards white people, and media in general focuses way too much on tragedies having to do with white folk. But do you know what I remember being covered for about this long? Radiation in Japan after the tsunami.

She should care about white people because it shouldn’t be about race. These are people. I’m not going to deny that SEVERE racial inequality exists, but the fact of the matter is that people suffering are people suffering, and you should care regardless of the color of their skin.

To be numb to the suffering of others because of their race? That’s prejudice. Even if it’s against the majority. You can resent the system that keeps you down. You can even resent the people who take advantage of that system. But when those people are having ball bearings dug out of their skin, when they’re having limbs amputated, when they’ve only barely been saved from dying and will have to live their whole lives dealing with that trauma, without even knowing WHY?

Care.

Otherwise you’re just being a bigot.

• Posted April 25, 2013 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

[slow clap] IOU one cookie.

She should care about white people because it shouldn’t be about race.

It shouldn’t be about race. But it is. People of color get shot down in the inner-city all the time. Brown parents lose their children all the time. It wasn’t until 24 white people were gunned down at Sandy Hook that there became a nationwide gun control campaign.

Care.

Otherwise you’re just being a bigot.

Clutch your pearls any harder and you might strangle yourself.

Look, let’s get one thing clear: I don’t necessarily agree with her sentiment, but I do understand it. I understand it because I know I’m not the only Black person who breathes a sigh of relief when the mugshot featured on the news isn’t that of a Black person. I understand because I know I’m not the only Black person who gets apathetic about another national campaign to locate a missing white girl when missing POC children are lucky to get a 10 second spot on the local news. I understand it because, once again, white feminists are telling Black women the “proper” way in which to navigate a racist landscape. This kind of shit piles on throughout our entire lifetime and yes, it makes one numb.

Again, why should she or any other POC give a damn about the lives of the WHITE people who oppress us when it’s obvious that they don’t give a damn about us?

• Posted April 26, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

I answered that already. You just handwaved it as “pearl-clutching” instead of addressing it.

• Posted April 26, 2013 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Because it is! What you’re essentially saying is, “How dare the rabbit not mourn for the fox? Why doesn’t the mouse cry for the hawk? They’re all creatures of the earth!” But if the rabbit has been used and abused by the fox, and the fox has never shown any compassion for rabbit, has never given it the respect it deserves as a fellow creature of the earth, why should the rabbit care?

You are saying that in the face of all the oppression, the subjugation, the objectification, we should be supportive of a people who have never been supportive of us, who have never even given us respect as people.

Again, why should we care?

• Posted April 27, 2013 at 11:23 am | Permalink

NOW who’s pearl-clutching?

You should care because people are people. You don’t care because you’re a bigot. You have suffered, yes, and the system that white people have been building for generations to specifically oppress you is definitely to blame. I’m sorry for my part in it, and my ancestors, and I know my being sorry doesn’t fix it. And I’m not seeking a fucking cookie, so please don’t give me that again.

But you see people as rabbits and hawks, based on the color of their skin. You are judging people as worthy of your sympathy based on the color of their skin.

Suffering is suffering. These people who have died committed no crime other than being born a color that you associate with predators. Purely by accident of birth, you suddenly don’t give a shit about their deaths, and you’re justifying it by saying “White people have never cared about OUR suffering.” How the fuck would you feel if one of us said “Black people have never cared about white people, so why the fuck should we care if they suffer?” If it’s different for you because white people are on top of the system, you are part of the problem, because you are making this about race instead of humanity.

And I’m not saying race isn’t relevant, because I know it fucking is, and you’re damn right to be passionate about it. But don’t fucking pretend you’re justified in being numb to anyone’s suffering.

2. Posted April 24, 2013 at 11:45 am | Permalink

I’m really disappointed that Feministing is perpetuating Mia McKenzie’s misguided essay. While it’s perfectly understandable to express emotional fatigue to the many injustices in the world, that’s no excuse to give up personal responsibilty. It’s not the “white liberal media’s” fault that Mia is apathetic toward violence against white people, it’s Mia’s. Only she can control her emotions and her words and this is clearly her way of rationalizing and justifying her feelings by blaiming it on someone/something else. By doing so, she completely suspends her personal responsibility in controling her emotions, which isn’t far from the tried-and-true way of excusing rape with “men just can’t control themselves” reasoning.

Plus it makes no sense to rail against the legitimate grievance of the American media’s apathy and ignorance regarding violence against POCs by… advocating apathy and ignorance toward violence against “white people/liberals.”

• Posted April 24, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Because apathy towards the plight of a privileged group is *exactly* the same as apathy towards the plight of an *oppressed* group. [/sarcasm]

First of all, she’s not “advocating” anything. In a nutshell, she’s saying “why should I give a damn about them when it’s obvious they don’t give a damn about me?” And frankly, she’s right. The fact that you can’t see how white people *are* the cause of “the American media’s apathy and ignorance regarding violence against POCs” proves her point. You can’t distance yourself from the problem because you *are* the problem.

• Posted April 24, 2013 at 9:29 pm | Permalink