Fox news weight “expert” says Kelly Clarkson and Adele need to lose weight

No, seriously–it’s bad enough that Fox News wasted a segment on Adele and Kelly Clarkson’s weight post-Grammys, but instead of just being the tabloid news show they are, they tried to give real analysis. And they end up perpetuating crappy myths about weight, weight-loss and health. Neil Cavuto had on nutritionist Keren Gilbert who said, if either of them walked into her office, she would advise them to lose weight.

Suggesting that Adele and Kelly Clarkson are hardworking and it’s surprising they are not thin spreads toxic ideas about weight loss, specifically that if you try hard enough you can get that model body (because obvi everyone wants that model bod!). This assertion is also false!

Let’s ignore that Gilbert glossed over the fact that Adele just had a baby, Cavuto actually makes the legitimate point, what is so bad for a woman to look different and not fit the mold for mainstream beauty? To which she replies it’s unhealthy because they could poison the minds of little girls, they are after all role models!

That’s right–they are harming young women by, being themselves, not caving to the pressure of what they are expected to look like, broadcasting that they are healthy and happy as they are and demanding that we evaluate them not for what they look like, but for their talents. As in, they are great.

1. Posted February 12, 2013 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Oh, Cavuto. Some poor woman gave birth that dude. I love how Jon Stewart once mocked his use of the sensational question mark in his headline with “Cavuto is a…journalist???” Spot on.

Yes, he made a valid point but that’s what he does–he say something that a sane, decent, reasonable person might say but it’s a set up for whatever crap the FOX News bubble is pushing. He doesn’t get points for that. Sorry.

And if this woman’s main argument is “If the BMI index says you’re, fat honey, you’re fat” without showing any degree of understanding that the BMI index is hardly to whole story, especially when you include women who aren’t white or the differences in how human bodies use and store fat, then wow, I so don’t have any more time for her.

2. Posted February 12, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

The dreaded body image…I admire these women for not believing that they have to be anorexic. Don’t we want to focus on good and healthy nutrition…if that is an issue, then yes, let’s talk. The nutritionist appeared gaunt to me. I want myself and my daughter to be healthy but not focused on weight. Let’s talk about BMI and what’s the range of ok…let’s get sugar, fat and salt out of the schools and all things in moderation.

The other real issue that I had was this linkage between weight and working hard (or in the unspoken, if you are fat, you must NOT be hard-working..you must be lazy)..yikes! Childhood obesity is on the rise and we need to focus on those issues but let’s not turn it into a fat vs. thin debate..let’s talk good eating habits.

And of course, do we really expect FOX or any of its “go to” experts to give us any form of real or unbiased reporting?

3. Posted February 12, 2013 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Here is the other thing..just looked up Keren (the “Nutritionist”) and find out she is also an actress with credits to her name such as “Beer League” “Dreamslashers” Pledge This (soro movie with Paris Hilton) so that certainly tells you a lot..does it not?

4. Posted February 12, 2013 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

What is the problem?

Does anyone, anyone, claim that being greatly overweight (regardless of the scale or method used) is not, in general, at more risk of type 2 diabetes, stroke, certain types of cancer, hypertension, etc.?

If a physician fails to point that out to a patient he is being derelict in his duty. there are other factors, yes, but we are talking in general here. In the same way that some smokers will live to a hundred. And some people who have unprotected sex with many and varied partners will fail to catch any disease.

That’s the first thing.

Second. If we accept that pop singers, models, celebrities can be role models in a good way, aren’t we, logically, bound to accept that they can be poor models?

Third. No one is suggesting that ‘losing some weight’ is the same as ‘you need to be skinny’. That would like saying that ‘doing some sport’ is the same as ‘running a marathon in less than three hours’.

And, finally, I fail to see how being overweight is less dangerous, or unhealthy, if one is famous. Really, I cannot follow that reasoning. Oh, I’m famous, therefore I can smoke as much as I want and I’ll be unharmed. Yippee!

5. Posted February 12, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

The “bad role model” claim is one of the most pernicious ways fat-shamers remind successful not-skinny women that they aren’t allowed to have nice things.

6. Posted February 12, 2013 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Kind of disappointing and also ironic that an advertisement for a weight loss method featuring a cartoon woman of color complaining about her belly fat would be displayed next to this article.

7. Posted February 12, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

First, this interview is highly sexist: Cavuto is constantly interrupting Gilbert and manipulates her words to make them sound worse than they already are. So, basically, the nutritionist did not say a lot of things and Cavuto extrapolated a lot from the the few sentences she said.
    Second, I don’t agree with this article. Correct me if I’m wrong, as English is not my first language, I may have misunderstood, but what the nutritionist is saying is ‘if they came into my clinic and told me they were not happy with their weight…’ is different for me than saying ‘they need to lose weight’. Also, I don’t think she ever associates their weight with her looks – she says they are beautiful. Now, I am absolutely not pro fat-shaming. However, as a health professional, it is a fact that these women are over the “healthy” range of body composition, in terms of fat. Of course, BMI is not the most reliable evaluation tool; however, it is obvious that waist measurements would have the same outcome not caused by important muscular mass. So, I don’t think it is offending that she says that they could lose weight in order to get a more desirable BMI – desirable as in health, not aesthetics – for their long-term health. However, as there is no mention of how physically fit they are or any other habits, and that the evaluation is based solely on impersonal observations, this is not constructive. In fact, the point that is shocking is about being a role-model. Saying that their body composition will have a negative influence on young girls is absolutely disgusting. Being famous does not equal being a role model and they have no endeavour towards the public, and I am fairly certain that the question arise because they are woman.
    In short, this interview is crap, but I don’t think the headline of this article truly reflects the context of this “interview”.

8. Posted February 13, 2013 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

Listen,you can blame the messenger all you want.There is an obesity problem and especially Chilhood obesity, and If you don’t admit the problem it will never be solved.So hold your horses and thank Keren for pointing the problem.She did not Creat it.Look at the old Movies,the fat of yesterday are the skinny of today.