Weekly Feminist Reader

"Confirmed. I got the bird. We'll move him to a safehouse in the morning."
Don’t worry, you guys--Hillz is obviously on it!

Hanna Rosin and Stephanie Coontz continue their conversation on the “end of men.”

A new study found a correlation between the states with the most restrictive anti-abortion laws and the states with the most aggressive levels of anti-choice harassment.

Cool. Find out if people with your name tend to give political donations to Democrats or Republicans more.

Official “genius” Junot Diaz being smart and talking about privilege.

Check out what is surely the most ridiculous anti-contraception video of all time.

New favorite Tumblr: Cats Against Cat-Calling.

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’s pro-marriage equality video “Same Love” made me cry like woah.

Shocking new study: Free birth control leads to fewer abortions.

An interesting piece by a Hasidic writer on Sesame Street, parenting, and female sexuality.

Women on Waves attempted to dock in Morocco to offer medical abortions and publicize misoprostol, but was blocked by the authorities.

What a beautiful and terrible piece from Mary Elizabeth Williams about putting her kids in a support group when she was diagnosed with cancer.

“Bad feminism seems like the only way I can both embrace myself as a feminist and be myself.” -Roxane Gay, who is one of my favorite feminists, btw.

Our own Miriam says if we don’t fight the Hyde Amendment, we will lose everything.

Tracey Ross reviews the new book Iconic that explores how black women throughout history have fought against the negative stereotypes placed on them.

Been enjoying Bitch‘s guest series “Tale from the Crip” on disability, representation, and pop culture.

Catch our own Chloe on Melissa Harris-Perry’s show today!

What have you been reading/writing/watching/learning this week?

1. Posted October 7, 2012 at 10:12 am | Permalink

That political donation chart is really fascinating! Don’t know why they had to gender it but it’s still pretty cool. Betty’s a bit of an odd outlier though …

This week I’ve written a feminist analysis of Wimbledon (the film not the tournament!), which made me really mad.

I also wrote about gendered clothing and shopping experiences.

2. Posted October 7, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Pacing — On endometriosis and knowing that I have to figure out how to negotiate life with my period at the beginning of a work week.

A Guns n’ Roses salute to what would have been my dad’s 60th birthday. Also some zucchini infested memories of growing up.

Finally, the cobra edition of Everyday Yoga (a photo project intended to show what different bodies look like in various yoga poses).

3. Posted October 7, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

I thought this was a surprisingly productive discussion about abortion and surrounding issues: http://www.onbeing.org/program/pro-life-pro-choice-pro-dialogue/4863

4. Posted October 7, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

The article by the Hasidic writer (“Sexuality on Sesame Street”) makes me want to scream.

I am Jewish, although not terribly observant or learned. I had my Bat Mitzvah at a Reformed synagogue, and when I go to synagogue these days I go to a Reconstructionist one. Orthodox and Ultra-Orthodox Jews drive me nuts. I got into a conversation with an Orthodox Jew at one point, me wanting to understand why women are treated so dismissively by Orthodox and Ultra-Orthodox traditions.

I don’t recall the exact answer, but it had something to do with protecting the beauty of beautiful women like myself. I think the man’s answer was meant to flatter, but it enraged me, and I was unable to express why at the time.

This is why. Because Jewish women are made to feel embarrassed and burdened by the beautiful bodies that God gave them. Because they are forced to sacrifice their self-esteem out of deference to men who do not really appreciate that sacrifice in the least. Because they can’t even tell their daughters what a vulva or vagina is without embarrassment. And for what? To keep from distracting men from holy thoughts? Men should police their own damn thoughts.

5. Posted October 7, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

Awww yeah I love that Hilz meme.

I watched part of the anti-contraception video and read the article. Did the video seriously say that 99% of women are on contraception? What? Like… what? That seems insanely off… If they mean condoms that definitely ups the number but I don’t think 99% is correct anyway.

Sort of relating to the cat tumblr, I once saw a post that said one girl’s mom asked if tumblr was the “feminist cat website”. Gold.

6. Posted October 7, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

This week I wrote about lady friendships and growing up…

A very sad and disturbing story of teen pregnancy in our sex negative world.

And being viewed as a person vessel instead of a person

7. Posted October 8, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Permalink