Weekly Feminist GIF

WHEN A “PRO-CHOICE” POLITICIAN SAYS HE THINKS ABORTION IS TRAGIC

Willam says Dead to me

1. Posted September 7, 2012 at 9:29 am | Permalink

Not sure how to say this… but… can’t I be totally pro-choice, a feminist and a liberal person , and still think that even though it’s a woman’s choice whether or not to have an abortion, it is still a tragic thing to choose?
    I know if I got pregnant now, I would have an abortion. no second thoughts. But I am also a biologist, I treat life as a single occurrence that is so amazing and astounding, that I would feel it was a tragic thing to do. Not an immoral choice, mind you. just a very hard one.

(I might be missing the right context, though.)

2. Posted September 7, 2012 at 9:31 am | Permalink

To the extent that abortion takes the place of reliable birth control, it is tragic insofar as it represents a national failure to promote less intrusive means of birth control. It’s great when birth control fails, but saying that the availability of minor surgery makes up for our national ignorance of far easier methods of birth control isn’t tragic is equivalent to saying that going to the ER for an earache makes up for access to a primary care physician.

3. Posted September 7, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

What would our pets say about the current election? Funny article by UConn Professor that sheds light on our more animal instincts when it comes to elections: http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/hc-op-barreca-dogs-cats-politics-0907-20120906,0,2295857.column

4. Posted September 7, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Color me confused. Is this in reference to a recent statement? Hillary Clinton said the same thing while she was positioning herself for her 2008 presidential bid, but I haven’t been able to find something said recently.

Love the GIF though.

5. Posted September 7, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Love!

6. Posted September 7, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

I’m pro-choice and yes, sometimes abortion is tragic. Not all the time but sometimes. A desired (or welcomed) pregnancy that needs to be terminated for the health of the mother is tragic, even if it’s necessary.

And being pro-choice I realize that sometimes women make the wrong choice. I recently found out a young woman I have contact with through my work (and who I’d always thought was hopelessly disorganized) had suffered years of depression following an abortion (she’s started seeing a therapist which has helped though the process is nowhere near complete). I’m not qualified to say if the abortion was the cause of her depression (or that she wouldn’t have had equal or worse problems had she chosen some other alternative) . But it was clearly not just the trivial outpatient procedure that some are trying to reduce it to.

Even if a person thinks abortion should be legally available for any reason the pregnant women gives (as I do) it’s disingenuous (and callous) to suggest that there’s no emotional toll.

Whoever made that gif is….. dead to me.

• Posted September 13, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Very elloquently stated, Cliff. Your comment more than adequately represents my opnion as well.

7. Posted September 7, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

This GIF is dead to me. The thing is, abortion IS tragic for many women. For me, it was the most traumatic, heart-wrenching decisions of my life. The decision was right for me, but it was difficult and very painful. This post completely ignores the extreme complexity of this issue.

8. Posted September 7, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Willam! Flawless being,

9. Posted September 7, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

I’m pro-choice and all but I still think abortion is tragic. It’s necessary and should legal for all women, but it’s still technically a human life. There’s nothing wrong with thinking it’s a sad thing.

10. Posted September 7, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

I don’t have the whole story, but going just on what’s here, I have to disagree. Someone who has the strength to, trust women to make the decision of whether to have an abortion for themselves, despite personal misgivings, is all right in my book. This may not be what’s going on in this particular case, but I feel that this post presents a generic situation and a response to it that I feel is a knee jerk reaction, not a well thought out feminist position.

11. Posted September 7, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

I’m not sure why I need someone to be happy about abortion as long as they agree it should be a legally available recourse. Their personal opinion on the morality of the procedure doesn’t matter to me beyond that.

12. Posted September 7, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

For instance, Hilary Clinton in 2005:

Abortion is “a sad, even tragic choice to many, many women,” said Clinton. Then she went further: “There is no reason why government cannot do more to educate and inform and provide assistance so that the choice guaranteed under our constitution either does not ever have to be exercised or only in very rare circumstances.”

13. Posted September 8, 2012 at 12:35 am | Permalink

Uh, there is a rather large difference between an individual thinking abortion was (or would be) a difficult–even tragic–choice for themselves and a politician saying that abortion, in general, is “tragic.” It definitely is for some people. It definitely isn’t for (most) others. And given the political/cultural context in which abortion is highly stigmatized, a public figure playing into that by acting like it’s always some terrible, tragic thing is annoying to say the least.

• Posted September 8, 2012 at 9:21 am | Permalink

I understand your point; rhetoric is powerful and politicians have a responsibility to think about the impact of their words. But I still don’t see a problem with a politician acknowledging the complex nature of abortion instead of pretending that it is a black and white issue. No one ever wants to have an abortion, but they are necessary and protecting the right to choose is crucial to women’s health and safety. Failing to examine the nuances of this issue only perpetuates partisanship and unproductive debate.

I also think it’s unfair to generalize how (most) women feel about their abortions, I don’t know anyone who made the decision lightly.

• Posted September 8, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Wait, how is saying “abortion is tragic” “acknowledging the complex nature of abortion”? But saying abortion is tragic for some people but isn’t for others is “unfairly generalizing”? (And, yes, based on post-abortion surveys of women who generally say they feel relief after an abortion–no matter how difficult the decision was or wasn’t–I feel comfortable guessing that “most” women who’ve had abortions wouldn’t describe it as “tragic.”)

Also, this is a funny gif. There isn’t really room for a nuanced discussion of the emotional complexities of abortion. But that’s not really the point it is making anyway.

• Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:20 am | Permalink

I realize that the gif wasn’t really intended to form the basis of a substantive discussion, I just wanted to comment because I felt that it was dismissive of my personal experience with abortion. Yes, according to studies most women are relieved after an abortion – as I was – but I was also sad, ashamed, mournful, anxious, lonely, and about a million other things. Just because you need an abortion doesn’t mean you want one. I was relieved to no longer be pregnant, but having an abortion was very, very, tragic for me. This is kind of what I meant by appreciating the nuances of the issue, every experience is different.

14. Posted September 8, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

I gotta admit I’m confused.

Is there a pro-choice politician who recently referred to abortion as tragic? I’m assuming this isn’t based on the Hillary Clinton quote from 2005.

15. Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

What, I pulled a similar stance on someone who gave me some anti-choice static today! (Ok, it was also entangled with some calculated family drama, but I don’t think they make gifs involved enough for that.

As for what I think of the actual quote, I guess I’d have to read it in it’s full context. Did the politician say all abortions were tragic? I’ve had friends who needed to abort planned, wanted pregnancies, because it was ectopic or for other complications. For them, it was tragic, but a matter of life and death for themselves. In other situations though, that may not be true.