Weekly Feminist Reader

Sadaf RahimiAfghan female boxer Sadaf Rahimi wasn’t allowed to compete in the Olympics but she’s still awesome. “I want to deliver a message to the world through my fighting that Afghan girls are not victims,” she says.

AIDS activists march in Washington, DC to demand an end discriminatory police tactics and the criminalization of HIV transmission.

After being sexually assaulted on her solo circumnavigation of Lake Michigan to raise money for breast cancer survivors, Jenn Gibbons is continuing her journey.

This Reddit thread of rapists telling about their assaults is disturbing and interesting.

Keelin Godsey was the first out American transperson ever to be a serious Olympic contender.

Donate and help Autostraddle get a new website!

The Dominican Republic is weighing whether to allow a 16-year-old girl who is dying from cancer to get treatment even though it will terminate her nine week pregnancy.

Jimmy Kimmel defends Adam Carolla’s comments about how women aren’t funny.

“It is not our community’s responsibility to pay our exorbitant medical bills, to prevent our lives from being annihilated by the cost of illness. It is our government’s responsibility.”

Watch comedian Sasheer Zamata’s video about getting flashed by a stranger on the street.

Badass: Malaysia Olympic shooter Nur Suryani Mohamed Taibi is competing while eight months pregnant.

Yet another reason to love Tami Taylor Connie Britton: “My whole mantra from the beginning is this is not a catfight! I’m not doing a catfight!”

Amanda Hess on Marissa Mayer and the divide between women in media and tech.

Surprise! Here’s yet another victim-blaming anti-rape campaign.

Good: The Obama administration has given new federal family planning grants to Planned Parenthood clinics in three states that have cut the organization’s funding.

What have you been reading/writing/watching/learning this week?

1. Posted July 29, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Canadian strip club owners show their true, sleazy colours: why it’s so damned hard to believe women aren’t really being exploited in the industry.

2. Posted July 29, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

I have one guest author, Emilia, at my blog — These Scars Were Made by Whiteness: Being a Biracial Venezuelan Immigrant [Notes for discussions of racism and homophobia.] — ‘Back when I considered She-Who-Bore-Me and hers a part of my family, we had a “fun,” time honored tradition: trying to convince ourselves we were white.’

Incidentally, I am continuing to look for guest authors from now through about Labor Day.

Also on my own history and development with In My Backyard: The Swing Set — “Most everything was pretty safe in the beginning. We crossed the monkey bars, swung on the swings, flipped upside down on the rings, and hung upside down from the trapeze. The dangers creeped in incrementally.”

And on Getting Political [note for mention of street harassment] — “… the political climate in Arizona is scary — in no small part because, at least the way I see it, the ultra conservative legislature is more extreme even than what is unarguably a rather conservative state — and I’d like to change that.”

3. Posted July 29, 2012 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

Here’s a brief note of rememberance & a painting by Eric’s first wife, Valerie Caris-Blitz. Much of her work dealt with feminist issues & in the last part of her life, living with HIV (timely, as July is HIV/AIDS awareness month.) http://jennydevildoll.wordpress.com/2012/07/28/from-woman-in-yesod-series-valerie-caris-blitz/

I have a 6 page comic in the current issue of World War 3, this is video footage of a live reading of it, but it is something that I wrote, a memoir I was asked to do for another project initially, that was censored. Trigger warning for rape and self injury. http://jennydevildoll.wordpress.com/2012/07/29/psychic-harm-reduction-reading/

4. Posted July 30, 2012 at 3:02 am | Permalink

I wrote a progressive feminist webseries I’m trying to fund on Kickstarter now: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2102176902/doing-good

5. Posted July 30, 2012 at 9:49 am | Permalink

Sorry, I just had to comment. Adam Corolla and Jimmy Kimmel are criticizing anyone for not being funny? Have they heard themselves? They’re. Not. Funny. What they mean is that they don’t like women’s jokes, but their brand of humor is so sophomoric it’s almost painful to listen to.

6. Posted July 30, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

in the news this week: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/27/us/strip-clubs-in-tampa-are-ready-to-cash-in-on-gop-convention.html

Although I know sex work is a controversial topic in the feminist community, I do believe that Republicans frequenting strip clubs is very telling. It shows that in their personal lifes these Republicans encourage female sexuality when it is for male titillation, yet of course their policies are opposed to female sexuality when it is for the pleasure of the women themselves. Republican views on female sexuality are more about misogyny than “family values”. Not that this argument is new, but I believe this article about strip clubs provides further proof.

7. Posted August 2, 2012 at 9:48 am | Permalink

Here’s a cool kickstarter project. Donate and spread the word? Posting on Feministing could gather enough views and shares to fund it! :)