What We Missed

The latest anti-choice tactic: spoiling movies (spoilers for a recent movie at the link, obvi).

How long till CNN publishes a story promoting the idea that this all white pastors conference that will feature a cross burning is “not racist?”

Monica Roberts on transmisogyny aimed at Joseline Hernandez.

. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted July 5, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

How is that an anti choice tactic? Sounds more like the patron of the theater was faced with angry customers who saw the scene and decided to take a “dont say I didnt tell you” approach to thwart further $hitstorms.

• Posted July 5, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

Eh? Where are you getting that? I didn’t see anything like that in the link.

• Posted July 6, 2012 at 7:22 am | Permalink

I meant the owner, I thought patron means like owner. English isnt my first language xd .

But yeah, I guess the ticket guy was advised to do that, so prolifers who get offended at the scene do not get all in the face of the theater owner over that scene. I guess the owner had prolifers getting all angry over that movie before.

But even if that would not be the case, how would that be an anti choice tactic and politically motivated? You warn people that there is a self induced abortion scene in the movie. From what I know about America, quite a lot of people are anti choice and would probably take offense at such a scene, so the warning is directed at those people. How is that an anti choice tactic? How does it help people who hold anti choice views?

• Posted July 5, 2012 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

The patron is the customer. They want to try to make the film lose money by announcing spoilers, which can dissuade some people from going to see movies, if they already know how what happens. The same tactic was used in the early 90′s by LGBTQ rights groups who felt “Basic Instinct” was homophobic and tagged every ad for it with who the killer was.

And quite honestly, last year I posted the ending to the anti-choice film “The Life Zone” anyplace I could online, AND I DON’T REGRET IT AT ALL LOLOL }:)

• Posted July 7, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

I kinda doubt that the owner wants to make the movie lose money in his own theater, seen as patrons are informed of that scene while their tickets are being ripped up or just prior. It all still reads like an theater owner who wants to thwart the possibility of people getting in his face over that scene by giving them a warning.

Where is the cinema located and who is the owner?

• Posted July 8, 2012 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

But if the owner DIDN’T want to lose money, why would they want to give out spoilers beforehand, which may discourage people from seeing the movie? (Either because they’re against abortion, or because some people feel the experience of seeing a movie is “ruined” if they know what happens in advance).

My guess is that this is one usher who took it upon himself, but yeah, we’d need to hear a statement from the owner to get a sense of what actually happened.

The only time I remember a forewarning is when I saw “Antichrist” in the theater and there was a sign posted warning of excessively graphic violence in the film. But even then, it didn’t tell you exactly what that was, they let you see for yourself if you went in.

• Posted July 9, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

So prolifers dont get in his face over that horrable scene and keep going to his cinema? That could be a real concern if that particular theater is somewhere in the bible belt or something like that. Thats why I was curious on the location of that cinema.

2. Posted July 5, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

As for the “all white Christian meeting” sounds like the perfect way to worship a Semitic man who’s life and ministry took place throughout the Middle East and North Africa. Yep.

3. Posted July 6, 2012 at 6:10 am | Permalink

Oh those wacky hate groups. I imagine the reasoning goes something like this “Lots of people think racism is bad. I don’t think I’m bad, therefor, I must not be a racist.”

CNN: If you’re watching this, your flight has been cancelled.

4. Posted July 6, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

I have to say, that while it is possible that the ticket taker was motivated by political views they could have also been motivated (and seems more likely) by the graphic nature of the scene.

5. Posted July 7, 2012 at 5:49 am | Permalink

They should fire this ticket taker. His freedom to push his politics on others, does not apply to his job. He’s acting like an outraged child, spoiling the movie, and then standing with a smug grin expecting to be told what a good boy he is. Until he can act like a big boy, and keep his thoughts to himself, he has no place at that theater or any other job.

• Posted July 7, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

I am pretty sure the ticket guy was advised by the owner to do that.

6. Posted July 9, 2012 at 10:43 am | Permalink

I’ve seen movies with really graphic torture and murder scenes, and none of them came with such a warning. I find it baffling that anti-choice folks get so upset about cinematic portrayals of abortion but don’t bat an eyelash over scenes of the brutal murder of an adult.