What we missed

The mandatory ultrasound law passed in Oklahoma has been ruled unconstitutional. That’s probably because it is!

Relieved to find out broke feminist blogger is not on this list of unhappiest jobs–sad to see which important, often women dominated, professions are on the list.

An op-ed in the SFBG about broadening how we think about anti-violence work.

The only organization that makes me want to eat meat just to protest them.

Amanda on why this heavily forwarded list actually sucks.

Awkward Black Girl on racism on the internet.

Limbaugh doesn’t think our outrage over Trayvon Martin’s death is real. I’ll give him one thing–his commitment to never have advertising dollars does seem more real.

White supremicists are so committed to smearing Trayvon Martin they have hacked his email accounts. Silly racists, nothing you find could ever justify gunning down a child. Maybe learn to read a book or put all those hacker skills to some better use.

1. Posted March 29, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

While I really really dislike PETA and this advertisement, I also dislike the quote ‘‘I think its sad that you equate good sex with painful, violent sex, I guess your trying to be sarcastic?’’

Is it really sad that I might equate good sex with violent sex or painful sex? It depends on my mood. I really rough sex can sometimes be a touchy and triggering subject, and sometimes I have a hard time with the fact it’s what I occasionally enjoy, but I’ve thought about it enough where I’m OK with it.

However, this totally does not excuse the absurdity and domestic violency vibe from PETA. I’m vegan and I cannot stand them. Way to make us look crazy.

2. Posted March 29, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Regarding this: “The only organization that makes me want to eat meat just to protest them.”

That’s actually a fairly shallow and somewhat dangerous thing to say. Simply because you disagree with the political agenda and tactics of one animal rights organization does not mean you should thus, out of spite , try to go against their agenda. Every form of activism has extreme form of activism (including feminism). Your train-of-thought in this particular instance perpetuates a severe stigmatization of activism in general.

I do not agree with all of PETA’s tactics. I do not endorse them. However, I do support animal rights activists and their fight to discredit speciesism. Just because I disagree with a particular feminist post does not mean that I want to, e.g. beat up women. Your response is one of violence, even though it might not seem that way at first. Eating meat is violence. Not only that, eating meat because you’re angry at PETA protestors is furthermore a violence directed at the wrong target.

• Posted March 30, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

I would like to make a point as a vegetarian, virtually vegan, feminist who has dealt with isusues.

Disagreeing with a single campaign of one advocacy group such as PETA does not mean you should therefore disavow all animal right’s groups or ideologies. Simply because PETA is misogynist (true in this campaign), does not mean that every animal rights group is also misogynist and not worth our time. That statement – disagreeing with PETA to the extent that you want to eat meat – is an essentialization of all the animal rights groups. When we deal with intersectionality and activism, we simply cannot afford to do that. That has been done to feminist, racial injustice, queer, trans, immigrant, prison workers, animal rights and climate activists for an inordinate amount of time, where we just reject the group as an Other and not worth our time.

PETA has certainly made a lot of campaigns that stir up controversy, but one thing I do find interesting in their work, as a polemical site of critique, though I do not support them in any full extent, is how they manage to challenge the idea of ‘dehumanization’ as something bad: animals are ‘nonhuman,’ so isn’t propagating the idea of ‘humanism’ derogatory for them given their ‘subhuman’/'subhumanized’ status? When we see a beaten-up woman, we rightfully are angry, but when we see violated animals, that seem response isn’t always elicited. Or even when we get angry responses to animal violations, the idea of eating some form of meat remains with ca. 96.3% of the country.

Again, I do not wish to say that I am condoning PETA’s work, but to ask that we do not in response simply essentialize an entire movement, because a lot of other groups do tremendous work, and we should not cast aside an important sphere of activism.

3. Posted March 29, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

Agh, the Cracked article… I was reading it, going, ‘Yeah, yeah, finally’. Then he started in on that ‘men have no control over our sex drive’ thing, and I died a little inside.

Also, PETA… ugh, PETA. They won’t stop until animals are treated with more respect and dignity than women.

4. Posted March 29, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

At the article on PETA:

I’m vegan, and it obviously comes as no surprise that everything PETA does paints all vegans and vegetarians in a very negative light. On more than one occasion, when I’ve talked about my veganism — PETA has been injected into the conversation. It’s no surprise, though, because they’re such a shame on our name and it’s an easy assumption to make. They in no way represent us, or can even admit to prescribing to the vegan ideology as is clearly evident. They’re constantly misogynist, anti-human, and have always been a refuse dump.

Last month, this video started circulating around a veg*n forum I used to frequent. Sadly, at least over half of the forum members chose to defend PETA and some even found it funny. Given that women outnumber men when it comes to veganism and by a very large margin — it struck me as something utterly despicable. I, of course, haven’t been back to that forum since. The PETA sycophants are in the minority, fortunately, in the vegan community and I still maintain that it’s only a very small portion of us.

Ah. I’ve been bottling that up for a month. It feels good to have that rant off my chest.

5. Posted March 30, 2012 at 10:58 am | Permalink

I read the unhappiest jobs… every time I read a list of happiest/unhappiest they look quite similar! Teachers, nurses and marketing managers are ALWAYS on the happiest jobs, and they were included on this list. It’s all your taste and the work environment.

6. Posted March 30, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

The thing with the Cracked article though, although the vast majority of men I know don’t subscribe to those views, I have had the displeasure of encountering a number of people who have espoused those types of attitudes. I think the article addresses a very specific type of emotionally stunted person who I have too many battle scars in my life to say doesn’t exist at all. I also think it’s a cross section of things men are taught about women in our culture rather than something inherent. They could just as easily do a follow up article about the ridiculous and wrong things women are taught to believe about men & relationships (see also: every article I’ve ever seen here about Cosmo magazine, Twilight, or Disney princess movies.)

7. Posted March 30, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

I would not be surprised if Limbaugh isn’t sad about the Trayvon Martin case. It sure overshadows Sandra Fluke. It might be in his best interest to talk about the Martin case because the focus is on Zimmerman as opposed to the Sandra Fluke case where everyone was piling on Limbaugh.