Post-Its in lieu of presents

A very dear friend of mine turned twenty-five this week. He’s having a party this weekend, but he’s requested no presents. And no donations in lieu of presents, either. Instead, he’s asked that his friends, before coming to the party, spend a little of their time this weekend doing good things for other people.

The idea, he told us all,

… is that during the course of that day, for however long as you want, to go somewhere in the city or walk around on your own or in a group looking for small unplanned, unexpected opportunities to make someone else a little happier: serving up some coffee for people who are cold on the street, helping someone find their way around, cleaning up a neighborhood park, or showing up at a shelter with supplies.  There’s so much suffering and thus so much opportunity to do good that we become indifferent to in our busy lives, especially in a crazy place like New York!

Makes you feel pretty shallow about asking for a pony for your last birthday, doesn’t it?

At the end of the day, we’ll all meet up and talk about what we did, and my wonderful friend will get the gift of hearing about how he mobilized a few dozen people go spend some of their weekends making the world a better place. It reminds me a little bit of the Secret Society for Creative Philanthropy.

I spent some time thinking about what kind of service I want to do, and I’ve decided – to the shock of absolutely no one – to do service with strong feminist slant.

On Saturday morning, I’m doing my own little one-day Operation Beautiful:  I’m grabbing a few friends, a pack of Post-Its and some markers, and we’re going to stick body-positive messages on fitting room mirrors in stores around the city.

A few years ago, I was in a shop trying on clothes and as I looked in the mirror to see how the first item fit, I noticed that on the wall next to the mirror, someone had scrawled, “You’re beautiful, with or without new clothes.” The message made my day (though I wish that it hadn’t been graffiti, because some underpaid GAP employee probably had to scrub it off).

So, this Saturday, I’m going to try to make other people’s days by posting this and similar messages on fitting room mirrors.

And this is where you come in. I have a few ideas for what I want to write on those Post-Its, things like “Clothes don’t make the man; character does,” and “Buy it if you want it, but you’re perfect just the way you are,” but I need some more.

So please put your suggestions in the comments section, and that way, you can help me and my friends and in our day of service. And of course, nothing would make me happier than if you and your friends decided to Post-It bomb your own local shops with similar messages. Especially if you send me photos of your efforts.

. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted March 15, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

The world is a better place because you are in it.

You are gorgeous, because you are you.

2. Posted March 15, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

What a wonderful idea! I’m totally going to use it for my next birthday!
    Here’s my post-it note messages:
    Your beautiful soul is enough, independent of all that surrounds you.
    Rebel! Love your body like its a revolution, because it is!
    Be kind to yourself today.
    Love everything as best you can, beginning with yourself.

Oh, and why not, “Clothes don’t make the *woman*; character does”?

This post reminds me of one of my favorite songs: “There were no mirrors in my Nana’s House” sung by Sweet Honey in the Rock.

3. Posted March 15, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Hi! I absolutely LOVE this idea. It’s one of those ideas that when you read it, you’re like, “Why didn’t I come up with this idea myself first?” :D I have the best idea for your positive mirror notes. About-Face, a nonprofit in San Francisco focused on teaching young women and girls about resisting harmful media messages, did just this. They called it “Covert Dressing Room Action.” It can be read about here: http://www.about-face.org/making-changes/about-face-actions/covert-dressing-room/. But you can buy decals from their website for this exact purpose! Buy here: http://www.about-face.org/support-us/buy-goodies/. They don’t do any damage to the mirrors, so that’s awesome too. Good luck!

4. Posted March 15, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

I wouldn’t change a thing!

5. Posted March 15, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

As a former foreign exchange student to France and the former host sister of a student from Germany, this is very chilling news. Unfortunately, exchange organizations have such a hard time finding families willing to host that I am not surprised if many volunteer area representatives lower their standards when trying to place students. (Similar and worse stories abound when you examine the rates of abuse in foster families.) Of course nothing excuses inaction upon hearing of such serious accusations.

It would be interesting to see if there is any correlation between those organizations that pay the host families and those that don’t. The two organizations I worked with refused to pay host families, despite protests in many member countries, on the grounds that it results in too much of a profit motive and not cultural exchange.

6. Posted March 15, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

You are loved – for who you are not what you wear.

7. Posted March 15, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Don’t smile – it would crack your face (ALWAYS works for me!)

8. Posted March 15, 2012 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

Love this.

“You don’t need it, the world needs you!”
    “Smile, imperfect is the new perfect!”
    “Treat yo self!”
    “Give yourself a hug!”
    “Confidence looks great on you.”

9. Posted March 16, 2012 at 4:44 am | Permalink

Looking good
    You can do anything
    You make the day beautiful

10. Posted March 15, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Permalink