Leaked Limbaugh video: the shocking truth behind Rush’s apology to Sandra Fluke

As of Sunday, 98 advertisers have dropped Rush Limbaugh! This is despite Rush’s so called “apology” (or Rushology) to Sandra Fluke for his poor word choice. Perhaps not as many advertisers would have dropped Rush if there had been an ounce of sincerity in his apology. This video presents what the real Rush knows:  He’s not really sorry, he just doesn’t want to lose advertising.  He and the GOP hate women. And he’s the real “slut.”

Transcript after the jump. Oh and by the way, this is satire.

I want to explain why I apologized to Sandra Fluke in the statement that was released on Saturday. This program has always been about advertising. The apology was about millions of dollars of advertising a year. Millions, folks.  Not about anything else. As you will hear, as I go on here, the apology to her over the weekend, it was not sincere. It’s simple really. Advertising’s a business decision. You, the audience, comes second or third. Because no successful program puts the audience first.

You know that I don’t really apologize to Ms. Fluke. We don’t do that. We never will. Never ever. Republicans hate women.  We want them barefoot and pregnant. We don’t want to hear from women. They’re misogynist, sexist and they’re not really all that concerned about spending. It’s about being in charge of women. I don’t expect– and I know you don’t either– morality, intellectual honesty,  integrity, independence on this program. I don’t know diddly squat. I am embarrassing and ludicrous. The glittering jewel of colossal ignorance, an arrogant snob. I try to suppress the speech, try to use extortion, pressure, threats to silence opposing voices.

I have demonstrated over and over a willingness to say or do anything, I am the prostitute. The slut, right?

and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted March 12, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Is this for real? Is he being sarcastic?
    Save us all

2. Posted March 12, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

It makes this site look bad if you didn’t realize this is heavily edited or if you knew it was and chose not to make that clear in the post.

Sure he is a complete ass, but he also clearly didn’t say what you are trying to imply that he said.(making this post tantamount to a lie.) We don’t want to look as bad as our opponents and need not stoop to their level.

(intentionally or accidentally misleading people about the content of a video like this is problematic on that front.)

• Posted March 12, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

I totally agree. I had to reread this post a few times to understand if the author really didn’t realize this audio track is totally spliced together. There needs to be a disclaimer on this post that this is not a real statement by Limbaugh. Just a sarcastic/satirical audio track put together by someone.While one really may not like Limbaugh, that is no excuse to start put up obviously fake audiotracks and claiming they are his.

3. Posted March 12, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Oh come on. The man says enough atrocious, horrific things that there’s no reason to resort to crappy audio splices. Feminists are already fighting an uphill battle with these people. Why make our cause look bad by promoting nonsense lies like this? Surely you can find a few real clips with the same sentiment?

• Posted March 12, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Did you guys all miss the clear note that says “this is satire”? What more do you need?

• Posted March 12, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

That was edited into the post later and was not originally present.

• Posted March 12, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

That note was not up there this morning when this was posted. And the person that did this post did not mention that it was edited to now include “Oh and by the way, this is satire.”

• Posted March 12, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Permalink

The poster appears to have silently fixed her mistake since this morning by adding the note re: satire.

(thanks, katie, I don’t want like-minded people reading this and believing it, (at work you might not see the video,) then making a fool of themselves having believed it.)

4. Posted March 12, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

I agree with previous commentators that this video is very obviously frankensteined together. It’s funny as a satyr, or a comedic projection of what Rush might really think, but to post it as an actual account of what he has said when it’s clearly edited out of context no only fails to uphold the quality of reporting provided by Feministing, but also hurts the credibility of all other work posted on this site. Please add a introductory note that this is heavily edited and is not representative of Rush’s actual statement, or remove it before it’s used to attack the journalistic integrity of this and other feminist online communities.

5. Posted March 12, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

This is a brilliant piece and thanks to Katie Halper for creating it. It’s clearly satire, states so in the article, so if you have an issue with it, you just didn’t read closely.
    I think we need more of this kind of pushback to highlight the fundamental misogyny amongst the Limbaugh’s and right-wing media.
    There is nothing wrong with satire to make a point, it’s used all the time on The Daily Show, The Onion, etc. It doesn’t detract from our argument or any other such nonsense, in my opinion.

• Posted March 13, 2012 at 9:59 am | Permalink

Yes, but this is an online feminist community, not a satirical news source like the Onion or Daily Show. While I support the use of satire, I just wished there would have been a disclaimer mentioning it (which there is now); most people reading Feministing posts expect them to be serious and informative, rather than satirical like one would expect when reading the Onion or watching the Daily Show.

• Posted March 13, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Mr Pari, I would request that you obey the forum rules and not be dismissive of our concerns.
      (I’m pretty much 100% kidding about that.)

But seriously, Everyone else to post here was either confused as to the nature of the piece(see comment #1) or objected to the post when it was not clearly labled as satire.

I understand how this comments convo is incredibly disjointed with the hours-long delays before posts make it up, It can be hard to make sense of whats being said or when.

I agree that satire is good, (just not if its liable to confuse,) and properly labeled, this post is probably no longer objectionable to most.

I trust that now you have seen all the posts above yours (and read them closely) and understand the post was not labeled as satire this morning, thus nobody who posted before you here should be accused of not reading closely.

6. Posted March 13, 2012 at 8:38 am | Permalink

I’m bothered by this post. Aside from the satire debacle that’s happened in the comments, why call Rush Limbaugh a slut? I think that’s really problematic. Throwing gender slurs around carelessly like this is harmful. It reinforces the idea of slut, and it’s being used in a negative, insulting way. I worry for anyone who is trying to understand if the word ‘slut’ is okay to use as a way to insult someone, and then seeing this and getting the wrong idea. Especially from a feminist site, don’t you think someone less informed will see it as a confirmation that slut is a completely okay thing to call women, and it’s not misogynistic?