Weekly Feminist Reader

a male marine kissing his boyfriend“No matter who you are, love is love.”

The Hairpin talks to the makers of the Desire Project–”a website about what women want and how they get it.

Elizabeth Mendez Berry and Salamishah Tillet say the Rihanna/Chris Brown story “was a teachable moment without the follow-through.”

The trial over Egypt’s forced virginity tests has been postponed yet again.

Happy blogiversary to the Crunk Feminist Collective!

An interesting Times article about how young women are linguistic trend-setters.

Ebony looks at some of the transgender pioneers throughout African-American history.

Virginia may have dropped the transvaginal part, but remember that regular old mandatory ultrasound laws still suck. Plus, Texas currently has a transvaginal one.

Gender Across Borders and CARE are teaming up to host the Third Annual Blog for International Women’s Day on Thursday. Sign up now.

IWD will also mark the release of The Unfinished Revolution: Voices from the Global Fight for Women’s Rights, a new collection of essays from 30 writers, activists, policymakers and human rights experts.

18 Senators support adding a marriage equality plank in the Democratic Party platform.

In response to the recent ever-present attacks on reproductive rights, the National Women’s Law Center has launched a new campaign to say “My Health is NOT Up for Debate.”

Lucy Liu is going to play Dr. Watson in the new adaptation of Sherlock Holmes!

THIS. “Limbaugh called Sandra Fluke a “slut” because she asserted her right to speak publicly about and make publicly thinkable a set of experiences and problems that he has a very direct and personal interest in excluding from public space.”

Emily Rapp on absolute truths: “I’m so grateful that Ronan is my child. I also wish he’d never been born.”

I am super excited to learn about the Sex Diaries Project.

In response to the VIDA numbers on the byline gender gap, Alyssa Rosenberg lists ten women writers you should be reading.

An interview with Rachel Lloyd of the Girls Education and Mentoring Service (GEMS).

On the sexism evident in the buzz around Pinterest.

New York is considering a much-needed bill to keep the possession of condoms from being used as evidence of prostitution.

“That’s when I was given three choices: terminate the pregnancy now, do nothing and likely miscarry, or induce and deliver vaginally a baby who will die or be dead.”

What have you been reading/writing/watching/learning this week?

1. Posted March 4, 2012 at 11:26 am | Permalink

I wrote a little about parents and memories this week: In Binoculars, keepsakes of my dad and what they mean to me. And in Popsicles, watching a performance of Wit with my mom. [Both contain discussion of death.]

In yoga stuff, I looked at standing head to big toe pose as a way to align and engage the pelvic floor muscles. Also reviewed Shiva Rea’s Creative Core + Upper Body DVD, focusing on accommodations offered.

Finally, in honor of Endometriosis Awareness Month, I’m trying to post an endo fact per day. I got a late start, but here are Endo Fact 1 and 2.

2. Posted March 4, 2012 at 11:27 am | Permalink

An open letter to young women during International Women’s Month.

The Canadian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: protecting our ladybits during foreign travel.

Madness, rage and grief in the Haïtian revolutionary Marie Sainte Dédée Bazile. From Black Herstory to International Women’s Month and how models are universal as well as very specific.

Georgia church vs the Virgin Stripper… errr, Mary, nursing the baby Jesus.

3. Posted March 4, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

As a supporter and admirer of the work GEMS does, I’m glad to see the article about them. I also put the image of the hand-painted shirt on my Pinterest account, which largely serves as an online inspiration book/image morgue, two things pretty much every illustrator I’ve encountered keeps some variation on, not just the women ones. So the internet can pretty much put that in their virtual phallus and smoke it.

4. Posted March 4, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Next time some jerk tells me to make me a sandwich, I’ll make him one of these:

Also, can you limit infinity?

• Posted March 4, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

If you feel like calculus proofs are not painfully rigorous and fiddly, you must not be doing delta-epsilon proofs of limits yet ;)

5. Posted March 4, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

I am working on a year long project of creating a paper doll a day. For the month of March, I am honing that focus in on feminists. Current paper dolls on this series can be seen here: http://www.inventingtrees.com/2012/03/feminism-on-paper.html . I’d love feedback and suggestions!

6. Posted March 5, 2012 at 1:09 am | Permalink

After a month of investigation, I wrote this article looking at my college’s handling of sexual assault cases and why so many survivors feel as if they’re discouraged from going to the police.

7. Posted March 5, 2012 at 3:10 am | Permalink

happy mardi gras people. it is far from the radical protest for queer lib it once was:

reading up on the builders labourers federation in australia. they were a really militant union back in the day:

and it is international womens day on thursday so i was reading this piece on the history:

there is a rally on in sydney on the 10th of march, 11:00 am at town hall:
    the ASU is the only union i know of that is backing it. all the others have organised picnics. so patronising. i hope i am wrong about that.

sarcozy has to hide from protesters:

and the victorian nurses are on strike. illegally. and the state is wetting itself: