Weekly Feminist Reader

Hey girl, Rachel Maddow blog

Yep, this is basically the wet dream of every feminist I know.

The state of reproductive rights since Roe v. Wade in 9 graphs.

A powerful piece by Melissa Chadburn on growing up in foster care, being accountable to your community, and the importance of taxes.

Santorum says Obama defunded abstinence-only programs not because they don’t work but because he wants “people to be in poverty.”

An important piece about male victims of rape. “We have a cultural blind spot about this.”

A call to retire the phrase “real women” for good.

A couple of good rebuttals at Postbourgie and Racialicious to this post at Very Smart Brothas responding to Zerlina’s post about victim-blaming at Ebony.

The Invisible Mother.

Sudan’s Islamic Council declared women’s soccer an immoral act.

“Six million people are under correctional supervision in the U.S.—more than were in Stalin’s gulags.” A must-read piece on mass incarceration in the U.S.

A new study from the National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health finds that strong majorities of Latina/o voter support abortion rights.

Check out this interview by Aisha Tyler with Margaret Cho on Girl on Guy podcast.

An anti-rape ad campaign targeting men has helped cut the number of sexual assaults in Vancouver by 10% last year.

At The Hairpin, an interview with abortion provider Dr. Nancy Stanwood.

Science confirms what we probably all know: High heels are bad for you.

Five movies directed by women that deserved Oscar nominations this year.

What have you been reading/writing/watching/learning this week?

1. Posted January 29, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

I analyzed crow pose as a pelvic floor strengthening asana, including options for different bodies and physical needs.

Got irked at someone deciding the phrase “second-class vegetable” was a good idea.

Finally finished Unwisely, my story about teen relationship abuse. [also discusses self-harm]

And thought about the word “wrecked” as a general term for injured or disabled bodies.

2. Posted January 29, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

About threats of violence against politicians, most of them women. If I were an American in Missouri.

Inspired by a local news story. When is burlesque empowering, and what isn’t? Empowerment sale – get yours today!

What doesn’t kill you leaves you broken, actually. ** Triggers for sexual and other assault**

Pondering Roe v. Wade and its Canadian equivalent. What if my mother had aborted me? ** triggers for abuse and self-harm **

More on being nice, working for nothing and not asking for much.

Margaret Atwood turns Greek myth on its head, fun had by all: Meditations on The Penelopiad and its take on women vs other women.

• Posted January 30, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Ooh! Bright-Sided by Ehrenreich is one of my favorite books too!!!!

Ok, I’m going to go read the rest of the post now.

3. Posted January 29, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

So cool you linked to that Canonball post! I also write for Canonball, and wrote about Pariah more in depth there: http://www.canonballblog.com/?p=3378

4. Posted January 30, 2012 at 12:33 am | Permalink

Thanks so much for featuring my blog on getting rid of the “real woman” bs! Looking forward to reading some of the rest!

5. Posted January 30, 2012 at 6:38 am | Permalink

invasion day and the 40th aniversary of the aboriginal tent embassy in australia featured a brilliant protest by ATSI people and supporters that has been demonised by the media. it was the most wonderful thing i have ever seen. this is what struggle and resistance looks like. gillard and abbott were terrified to see the minority that had been oppressed in this country for over 200yrs, and by them personally, rise up.
    pictures:
    non-racist article:
    ABC footage:

america and israel:an unbreakable bond. or eww zionism:

alistair hulett, radical song writter & socialist died 2 years ago on saturday:
    the old divide and rule:
    lads of the BLF:
    new age of the fist:
    he fades away:
    i cant find “kick it over” anywhere but it was a good song too.

6. Posted January 30, 2012 at 10:12 am | Permalink

I’ve been reading more about the “honour killings” of four Afghan women in Canada.
    The verdict came in yesterday: A father, mother and brother were charged with first-degree murder: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2012/01/29/shafia-sunday.html

7. Posted January 30, 2012 at 10:54 am | Permalink

That NY Times article makes my brain hurt.
    Rape for women = plain ‘ol rape. Rape for men is worse because it challenges their masculinity. Is rape for women the natural order of things? Arg.

• Posted January 30, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

So glad I’m not the only one. That article was… ugh. I dislike it being listed as “an important piece” rather than heavily caveated. Admittedly I’m someone who thinks it’s really really hard to write anything about male rape victims without it turning into What About Teh Menz!!!, so I am a harsh critic when it comes to these, but… this article really fits the bill. It says to me someone thought “well we should do an article on rape, but where’s the twist – I know: men! No one expects that!”.

A few passages: “In one study of 3,337 military veterans applying for disability benefits for post-traumatic stress disorder, 6.5 percent of male combat veterans and 16.5 percent of noncombat veterans reported either in-service or post-service sexual assault. (The rates were far higher for female veterans, 69.0 percent and 86.6 percent respectively.)” How can you write that and not go “gee maybe this article could be about the EIGHTY SIX PERCENT people?” Maybe? Heaven forbid?

“Some studies have reported that the risk of rape is greatest for men who are young, are living in poverty or homeless, or are disabled or mentally ill.” This is a great point and the most intersectional the article gets, for one sentence, then promptly forgets it said this. It then returns to talking about who it wants to be talking about, a generalized “man” who is exemplified and pictured as older and white, and the only classification this “man” has is his normative masculinity.

“And young men raised by poor single mothers are especially vulnerable to male predators, said Dr. Zane Gates, an internist who cares for low-income patients on Medicaid at a community health center in Altoona, Pa.
      “You’re looking for a male figure in your life desperately, and you’ll give anything for that,” he said.” Really? Male figures? That’s what you’re going with? Not maybe… rapists causing rape? And of course there is no mention of lesbians (or assault among lesbians, as a similar group-not-often-discussed in the mainstream) in this article, because then where would your “male figures” role model be? Where would the “masculinity crisis” argument be.

I know this stance is somewhat counter-intuitive to feminist inclusivity, but all I can say is that I think folks like me taking this position care very much about all survivors regardless of their body parts or gender identity, yet when it comes down to it, as a media narrative, the “As Victims, Men Struggle for Rape Awareness” article could just as easily been a full two+ page story called “As Survivors, Women Struggle for Rape Awareness.”

It’s still news. It’s still happening. The article links to the Penn State Sandusky case heavily, and… Somehow we had a national scandal about male rape in a sports lockerroom in Penn State because We The People care about football, but ignore the epidemic levels of sexual assaults of women on college campuses, much less those women assaulted at, say, Penn State in the years referred to in the scandal who didn’t happen to be in that famous lockerroom.

In a way I should be glad that any article vaguely decently dealing with rape showed up in the NYT. But hey, critique, it’s what we do.

• Posted January 31, 2012 at 12:05 am | Permalink

I don’t intend to argue that your reaction to the article was ‘wrong’, I just wanted to say that it struck me very differently. It is true that male rape is often used to derail discussions of female rape, but for the most part it simply seemed to be an article focusing on its chosen topic –male rape. It made it extremely clear that rape most often happened to women, by men; it didn’t try to equalize the two in that respect all. When it discussed the effects rape had on men, it made it clear that they were, for the most part, the same symptoms women had.

I could see the article being published as a ‘twist’ on the usual articles on rape, but considering it hasn’t been that long ago that the study cited in the article was published, I could also see the reasoning behind publishing being simply because of the study’s findings (my impression was that the study uncovered fairly new information on male rape, but I might be wrong; I’m not up to date on that sort of thing…)

Anyways. I want to emphasize I’m not here to say your interpretation was wrong, just that I had a different one.

• Posted January 31, 2012 at 12:10 am | Permalink

Argh, forgot to add: the bit about rape being a challenge to masculinity… to me, I didn’t read it as meaning ‘and this is why male rape is worse than female rape’, I just read it as ‘this is a symptom women don’t experience due to culture’. It was rather irritating that it didn’t seem to occur to the author that women have their own set of cultural wounding as the result of rape, eg, the idea that she’s been ‘ruined’.

• Posted February 2, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Permalink
  8. Posted January 30, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Thank God for Rachel Maddow!