What We Missed

Happy New Year! It’s the Year of the Dragon, which is the luckiest year in the Chinese zodiac.

Today is the 39th Annual March to Give Fetuses Rights (and take them away from anyone with a uterus) in Washington, DC.

Skier Sarah Burke died Thursday at 29.

Cynthia Nixon on how being gay is a choice for her. I believe we shouldn’t police the way people understand and experience their sexuality just because folks think biology-based arguments make it easier to win acceptance. Good for Cynthia for speaking her truth!

Sherlock‘s Louise Brealey is way awesomer than Molly.

On the rich history – and present – of Black burlesque.

1. Posted January 23, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Being a dragon in the year of the dragon is supposed to be bad luck though… :(

Re: Cynthia Nixon. An interesting recent post on born this wayisms at No Seriously, What about teh menz?: http://noseriouslywhatabouttehmenz.wordpress.com/2012/01/21/born-this-way-black-box-sexuality/

2. Posted January 23, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Happy Year of the Dragon to you Jos! I’m a Horse in the Chinese Zodiac, what about you?

3. Posted January 23, 2012 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

I have to be honest, the one with Cynthia Nixon didn’t sit well with me. I mean, yeah she can do whatever the hell she wants, HOWEVER; it’s actually not helping gay people, particularly gay women. Gay men seem to be taken more seriously, where as gay women are still not. There are those ridiculous stereotypes and myths about lesbians, and the misogynists who say things like, “yeah I can turn a lesbian straight!!” or people thinking that all lesbians are “faking” it. And by having Cynthia Nixon, a WOMAN talking about this is only going to “confirm” their suspicions about lesbians. I truly feel really bad for gay women, especially ones in the closet and in the media who are planning to come out, but now they might not, for fear of them not being taken seriously and thinking that they are now “choosing to be gay”; just like Nixon.

• Posted January 24, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

It didn’t sit well with me either. I mean, kudos to her for speaking her truth and not being afraid of backlash, but I don’t really think it’s good for the gay community – especially women who, as you said, are not taken seriously as members of the LGBT community. My biggest problem, really, is that you cannot choose your ATTRACTION. Anyone can choose who they want to be in a relationship with but you can be in a relationship if your not attracted to the person. Attraction is unconscious. There was a quote at the end of the article from someone who was also uncomfortable with it, and she said something similar.

I understand there are many shades to sexuality and I cannot understand everyone’s personal sexuality. The interview still makes me a bit uneasy though.

• Posted February 1, 2012 at 12:28 am | Permalink

Well Courtney, it looks like Cynthia Nixon has just “clarified” herself, so maybe we can feel a bit better now.

4. Posted January 24, 2012 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Oops, I accidentally posted elsewhere when I meant to post here (please reject it in moderation). Cynthia’s pronouncement drew a lot of flak, unwarranted I believe, over at Queerty. There was a lot sexist comments as well. Pretty good example of why the community on that site is so questionable. People should be allowed to define themselves, even if it’s not what “strategic” queers want.

5. Posted January 25, 2012 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Sounds to me like Cynthia’s bi, and chooses to be with women, and thinks that’s the same thing as “choosing to be gay.” Pretty big insult to both gay and bi women.