Weekly Feminist Reader

Are Women People

Today is the 39th anniversary of Roe v. Wade. Here’s a reminder of what life was like before.

Love these poems mocking anti-suffragists by Alice Duer Miller.

Speaking of gender in comedy, here are some tips for how to write like a funny woman from Elissa Bassist.

After one of Newt’s ex-wives says he asked for an open marriage (after he cheated), some folks discuss infidelity and open marriage.

What percent are you?

Sugar is coming out. “Virginia Woolf famously said ‘anonymous was a woman,’ but I never intended to be one of those women. I owe them too much to be.”

Catch snippets of Sheila Heti’s interview with Joan Didion at The Believer.

“It is far easier to talk about the tragedy of LGBTQ youth suicide than it is to find ways to comprehend and address the complexity of their lives and identities.”

Dana Milbank thinks us ladies who care so much about our reproductive rights need to chillax.

So I guess we should all be watching Dowton Abbey, huh?

The Tucson, Arizona school district confiscated Mexican-American studies books–and then punished students who protested.

Simon Doonan wonders, “Could small breasts make a comeback?” Kate Harding counters, “Could small cocks make a comeback?”

A retrospective of the many shades of Beyonce.

Good news: More Americans practicing safer sex. Bad news: A third of teen mothers didn’t use birth control because they didn’t think they could get pregnant.

Jennifer Weiner analyzes the gender bias in the New York Times book reviews last year.

Tami says 30 Rock‘s decision to address Tracy Morgan’s real-life homophobic comments was a bad one.

What have you been reading/writing/watching/learning this week?

1. Posted January 22, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

As part of Blog for Choice Day, I talked about my action and frustration with living in The Anti-Choice Desert.

And ranted about Boobs in reaction to a Slate article that makes some uncool assumptions about larger breasts.

I’m coming toward the end of Unwisely, a story about an abusive relationship I had as a teen. This deals with the first time I tried to talk about breaking up.

In reviewing Fairest, I examined beauty standards in YA novels — particularly among characters who consider themselves “ugly.”

And early this week, I responded to a commenter who said I shouldn’t claim to be part of a fat acceptance movement because I wasn’t Fat Enough.

2. Posted January 22, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

This week at Happy Bodies:

Our Intimate Wars: My post for blog for choice day. On re-centering the stories of women who are faced with difficult reproductive decisions.

Hey Everybody: Being fat doesn’t make you unhappy. Get it together, Georgia.

3. Posted January 22, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

More on being nice, working for nothing and not asking for much.

Margaret Atwood turns Greek myth on its head, fun had by all: Meditations on The Penelopiad and its take on women vs other women.

Lisbeth Salander doesn’t live here. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo vs. How Life Actually Works: what really happens to women armed with evidence, who try fighting back?

The Delphiad presents: ten reasons why you’re not in a relationship. Inspired by Cosmo, HuffPo and the default home page of my web-based email provider.

Nudity as protest, aka pimping out women for the cause.

Venn circles of feminine/masculine/human logic.

4. Posted January 22, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

I’d like to add this one in honour of Roe v. Wade:
    What if my mother had aborted me? **Triggers for abuse and self-harm**.

5. Posted January 23, 2012 at 8:14 am | Permalink

on the suckyness of the free market:

invasion day (australia day), a holiday devoted to encouraging nationalism and celebrating the invasion of european setters of aboriginal land and the subsequent genocide of ATSI people, is this week. so is the 40th aniversary of the aboriginal tent embassy:

aborigines:problems of race and class which i am reading in preparation for the annual Marxism conference( http://www.marxismconference.org/ ) which has a session on capitalism and racism. a good time to read it too:

Racism: whitewashing the class divide about racism in australia in general. also for Marxism:

muhammad ali. respect.:

6. Posted January 23, 2012 at 10:37 am | Permalink

Wow, what a great collection of links! Loved the response to anti-choicers article and the ´small cocks´comeback. Great!

7. Posted January 23, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed Simon Doonan’s piece. For years I felt very inadequte due to my small bust. I’ve since come to accept what I have. The problem is the reasons I got to this point is because of non-mainstream hobby of crossplay, dressing up as character of the opposite sex. My small chest makes it easier to bind than my large breasted friends who also crossplay. Since most girls with small chests won’t be getting into crossplay, acceptance what they have is not going to come to them the way it did for me. Also it wasn’t too long ago I had someone say to me “Girls with less than C cups aren’t worth looking at.”

Kate Harding’s comeback is terrible. The fact she counters by copying and pasting, then just changing select words, is pretty low. Not to mention she mocking the fact that society makes small breasted women feel inadequte.