What we missed

So did you hear the one about when the New York Times reprinted a story from the AP that was trying to make fun of how ABC doesn’t get why transgender people are upset about the new show Work It, but in doing so failed to call transgender people, people? Oh, wait, that really happened. PS: from the GLAAD media reference guide,

“Transgender should be used as an adjective, not as a noun. Do not say, ‘Tony is a transgender,’ or ‘The parade included many transgenders.’ Instead say, ‘Tony is a transgender person,’ or ‘The parade included many transgender people.’”

Don’t let his new ad fool you, Mitt Romney does not support the Dream Act.

Tuscan school district will be eliminating ethnic studies because the state is cutting funding. We knew it was coming and for those that know about the fight to add ethnic or women’s studies to the curriculum, we know this is a huge loss.

The Florida senate has unanimously passed an anti-shackling bill. Perez tells us more at Radical Doula.

1. Posted January 11, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

the article used both “transgender people” and “transgenders”. But generally, using human trait adjectives as nouns in shorthand does tread dangerous territory in some people’s minds.

2. Posted January 11, 2012 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

okay this isn’t directly related… but it is badass and it has transgendered people in it. (note: my computer does not recognize the word transgendered. wtf?)

3. Posted January 11, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

oops. maybe it’s because i made up that word. transgender people*

4. Posted January 12, 2012 at 2:11 am | Permalink

Whatever. I am a homosexual person. I am a heterosexual person. I am a gay person. I am a hermaphrodite person. I am a woman person. I am a congressperson. ??

5. Posted January 12, 2012 at 9:36 am | Permalink

The link for the last story takes me to ““I need more evidence,” and other things that probably make you a mansplainer”

6. Posted January 12, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

“Work It”, as far as I’m concerned. Takes the LGBTQ movement back 500 years back and is an assault on decency and good taste. Also a bomb dropped on comedy.

7. Posted January 16, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Permalink