Affirmative consent is hot

Topless Ryan Gosling says Hey girl, Yes means yes.

Yes Means Yes gets the Feminist Ryan Gosling treatment. He can ask me for consent any day.

1. Posted December 20, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Goddamn he’s got a nice body,Damn.

2. Posted December 20, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

So, Feministing encourages comments about a man’s body, but does not tolerate similar comments on a woman’s?

You’re going to have to educate me.

Oh, and one is allowed to judge a guy based on his body?

• Posted December 20, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

I was wondering the same thing. However, personally I’m fine with eye candy in media as long as it doesn’t cross the line into objectification. My interpretation of objectification means stripping the person of their humanity in order to value the way they look, not valuing the way they look in and of itself. I was trying to figure out where this post was falling on my own personal scale, but then I saw the objectification tag. Is this supposed to be a joke? Because if so, this seems sexist. I’m pretty sure Feministing wouldn’t show something similar with a woman, and would object to this kind of thing with a woman, so I see this as a problem.

• Posted December 21, 2011 at 8:54 am | Permalink

Oh course one is allowed to judge a guy based on his body. You can judge someone on anything – where did feminists ever give a checklist of what criteria you’re allowed to be attracted to people on?

Everyone has different likes and preferences, and we all agree that attraction is fundamental to relationships. You are obviously allowed to find people attractive, look at people you find attractive, etc. These are normal human behaviours that can’t be stopped even if you try.

I think the objectification thing is way over thought sometimes, and I think feminists try to overcompensate sometimes by admonishing normal human behaviours for fear of looking like a hypocrite. But in this space especially that shouldn’t be a concern.

• Posted December 21, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Nobody here is objectifying Ryan Gosling. That’s the difference.

• Posted December 21, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

People commenting on a shirtless body of a guy sounds like objectification to me,Not that that’s a bad thing.

3. Posted December 21, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

If a skinny,bikini clad woman were in a yes means yes campaign & that picture were being talked about as hot,Wouldn’t that be objectification?–What’s the difference?