What We Missed

Today is National Cupcake Day! Here are some cupcakes shaped like vulvae, courtesy of STFU Sexists.

“The greatest victories in the battle for life are not going to be won in the halls of government. It’s going to be won in the hearts of men.” Rick Perry: paternalistic, creepy, and I forgot the third thing.

After a Catholic school in Australia forbade a girl from enrolling because her parents are lesbians, a call for new anti-discrimination laws.

Schools in the UK are launching a new program to help students spot signs that their classmates have been forced into marriages.

This Utah middle school outed one of its students to his parents.

Gay dads, like regular dads, get excited when they find out they’re going to be granddads!

. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted December 15, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

I’ll be honest – those cupcakes look delicious!

2. Posted December 15, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

Rick Perry “I forgot the third thing” jokes just keep on getting funnier to me.

3. Posted December 15, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Hey now, gay dads ARE regular dads!

4. Posted December 16, 2011 at 7:10 am | Permalink

Oh, Feministing, really?

When you call straight dads “regular dads,” you set up gay dads as being not-regular, not-normal. How about, “Gay dads, like straight dads, get excited when they find out they’re going to be granddads!”

5. Posted December 16, 2011 at 10:30 am | Permalink

it’s rubbish that religious institutions are exempt from the law in NSW. not having the church and its institutions bound by the anti discrimination laws doesnt just leave queer people(and others) exposed to discrimination it also undermines the spirit of the law. it’s purpose is not just to protect, it is to send the message that queer people are equal and deserving of protection to those who still think it is ok to be heterosexist or cissexist and also to queer people who might feel marginalised. the fact that religious institutions are exempt from this law also allows for the human rights of queer people to be infringed upon by allowing protection of “religious freedoms” to encroach upon and override them signaling that queer rights and people are of lesser importance. Gah! that this happens everyday gives me the s#!*%.

6. Posted December 16, 2011 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Not sure how I feel about the use “regular dads” and “gay dads” in this post. It makes it seem like homosexual parents are in some way “irregular”.

That said, I love this website and everything that you all do!

7. Posted December 16, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

The STFU Sexists site doesn’t seem to like those cupcakes very much. Does the simple acknowledgment of vaginas somehow negate transgendered women? What might be a good image to make a cupcake of that would celebrate transgendered women as well? I think there should be celebration of both cis and transgendered bodies and beings.

8. Posted December 17, 2011 at 12:16 am | Permalink

Somehow I’ve passed over this post about five times and didn’t register that the cupcakes were vuvlas until a passing monk (I go to a Catholic university) stopped, stared, then harumphed at me as he passed me at my computer and set me off wondering what I’d done… good times with Feministing.

9. Posted December 17, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

So, women who have vulvas aren’t allowed to celebrate them, even in silly cupcake form, lest trans women feel left out? Let’s not be ridiculous.

• Posted December 19, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

You’re assuming only women have vulvas. Let’s not be transphobic.

• Posted December 20, 2011 at 11:15 am | Permalink

No she isn’t – she said “women who have vulvas”.

Your hysteria [Comment Moderators note: seriously? Hysteria? I'm not even redacting it because seriously?] hurts all of us.