Michele Bachmann’s daughters aren’t allowed to ask boys out

Michele Bachmann didn’t go to her senior prom and she’s determined to ensure that her daughters won’t either. Or, at least, that’s what I gathered from this interview with Sean Hannity about Bachman’s new book. (Listen to the audio here.)

BACHMANN: People do find out [in my book] that I did not get asked to my senior prom.

HANNITY: Well, neither did I. And nobody would go with me.

BACHMANN: Well, in my time, girls didn’t ask boys to prom. If you didn’t get asked, you didn’t go.

HANNITY: Yeah, well let me tell you, I have a 13-year-old son. Those days have changed big time.

BACHMANN: And our girls are not allowed to do that in our house. They have to wait for the boys to call.

Let me get this straight. Strict traditional gender roles meant that the young Michele sat at home, no doubt sadly imagining the awkward slow dances she wasn’t having, instead of enjoying a fun rite of passage with her peers? And now, instead of dreaming of a better, freer world for her daughters, Bachmann wears her rejection as a badge of honor, clings to an out-dated mentality that never worked for anyone (including, um, her), and hopes her daughters will be just as restricted as she was? Got it.

With her recent endorsement by our favorite anti-feminist has-been Phylis Schlafly it’s perhaps unsurprising that Michele Bachmann is proudly embracing such antiquated gender roles. It may be too late for her, but there’s hope yet for her daughters. To Elisa, Caroline, and Sophia (and assorted foster children): Don’t listen to your mother.

1. Posted December 8, 2011 at 11:04 am | Permalink

I wonder if there is an exception to that rule if they want to ask out another girl ;)

2. Posted December 8, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

It may be a cliche, but I guess in this case misery does love company.

3. Posted December 8, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Hannity says those days have changed big time. I’m not sure. Women still pretty much don’t seem to ask men out.

• Posted December 11, 2011 at 4:57 am | Permalink

Exactly what I was thinking. I graduated last decade and it was still like that, if a girl didn’t get asked out then she didn’t go. It takes a very brave woman to ask a man out because it’s not in their nature.

• Posted December 12, 2011 at 1:05 am | Permalink

Maybe it’s not in their socialization. Or maybe like men some of them are shyer and some of them are more outgoing because people’s personalities differ. One nature does not fit all.

4. Posted December 9, 2011 at 12:28 am | Permalink

Damn, Bachmann, I thought parents want better for their kids

5. Posted December 12, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

This is insane. Although I’m kinda with Robert in that a lot of girls would still refuse to ask a guy to prom this day in age, I would never support enforcing this choice in obeying outdated gender role restrictions on the daughters of our society. Looks like bachmann needs to read Full Frontal Feminism if you ask me.