Friday Feminist Fuck Yeah: Our young feminist readers! Who exist!

Even if USA Today says they don’t!

Yesterday, USA Today ran an article about how young women don’t identify as feminists anymore. Feminism, the article claims, is “over the hill.”

As Jos wrote in response to that article, there’s nothing new about the “feminism is dead” trend piece: people have been announcing the death of feminism pretty much since the day after feminism was born. The numerous and frequent announcements that feminism is dead or irrelevant are, in my opinion, part wishful thinking, part backlash, part laziness and all stupid. They’re also demonstrably wrong.

And while it’s incredibly annoying, as a young feminist woman, to be told over and over again that I don’t exist, I take comfort in the fact that, as evidenced by the movement of my fingers over my keyboard as I write this, I do exist. And you know what? So do hundreds of thousands of other young feminists out there.

How do I know that? Well, a bunch of you come to our blog every month and read feminist analysis of news, current events, politics and pop culture. You comment on that analysis and contribute your own at the Community blog. You come to our happy hours and bring us to your college campuses. You write us emails to tell us when we’re doing a good job – and when we’re not.

So unless this has all been one giant, incredibly elaborate, painstakingly orchestrated hoax, or unless we’re all a figment of Christopher Nolan’s imagination, I’m pretty sure we all exist. We, the young feminist writers of Feministing, exist. You, the passionate, engaged, committed, readers of Feministing, exist. And we all care about gender equality. We might not all call ourselves by the f-word, but we do all agree that sexism sucks, and that the fight to end it is ongoing, and that it’s a fight we care deeply about and want to be a part of.

So here’s to you, dear readers. Thanks for proving USA Today wrong, today and every day. To you, to your existence, and to ours, and to our feminism – I’d like to give a hearty and heartfelt fuck yeah!

1. Posted October 28, 2011 at 11:02 am | Permalink

I am so happy this article was written- obviously feminism isn’t dead! I’ve been so lucky to be in a school where feminism is much more wide spread than most other places. I recently started a a feminism club and look forward to getting gender equality out there!

2. Posted October 28, 2011 at 11:53 am | Permalink

As a 40-year-old feminist (and NOW activist), I find these kinds of articles incredibly insulting–not only to the MANY feminists I meet on college campuses, but to my feminist foremothers, whose incredible accomplishments are consistently diminished by stubborn myths about what they wore or didn’t shave.

3. Posted October 28, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Word to the first two posters! Feminism is not dead, they (USA today) is just asking the wrong people. Typical. But true. We need to make our voices more heard!

4. Posted October 28, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Word, word, word! Young feminist here (well, 27, is that still young? But my sisters 23 and 14 are guilty as charged, also.) I have met young ladies who say they “don’t like” feminism, but I ask them, “Do you like that you can have a job? Do you like that you can vote and own property? Then you like feminism.”
    also… I read the comments on the original article, and wanted to jump in.. but if I feel like battling trolls.. I will just go play Dragon Age or something.

5. Posted October 28, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

16 year old feminist over here! I read this blog religiously. I’ve always been confused when people dismiss feminism as “unnecessary” or “irrelevant”. It’s this dismissal that makes it even more important for us to be heard. Feminism is dead? Certainly not!

6. Posted October 28, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

As a 16 year old feminist, I LOVE this. I hear a lot of my classmates saying that feminism is obsolete, or something along those lines, and it pisses me off so much. I’m thinking about starting a feminist club at my school to hopefully inform those dopes or, at the very least, tune them out.

7. Posted October 29, 2011 at 10:15 am | Permalink

I’m 14, I’m a feminist, I EXIST!

8. Posted October 29, 2011 at 10:19 am | Permalink

As a 24 year old feminist, seeing articles like USA Today’s make me pissed off, then they make me laugh. I like how they’re so eager to tell me and the dozens of people I know who identify as feminists that we don’t exist. This website, and websites like Feministe and Tiger Beatdown, disprove their thesis with a few clicks of a mouse. What lazy, willfully ignorant journalism.

9. Posted October 29, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

young feminist here! hope to grow to be an old feminist some day! i EXIST!