Weekly Feminist Reader

Photo of woman at Occupy Wall Street protest in Times Square
The sign reads: “13% of the population (Black people) have always known how fucked up the system is, 86% just learned this… together we are the 99%” [Photo via]

Rick Santorum would defund contraception because all sex should be procreative: “It’s not okay. It’s a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be.”

Holly at the Pervocracy takes on some criticisms of sex-positive feminism.

Dr. Pepper’s sexist ad campaign seems to have hurt the brand with both women and men. Maybe sexism doesn’t sell.

True Blood producer Alan Ball is creating a new drama called “Wichita” about the late Dr. Tiller.

Check out this video by Parents Against MS 26 of mothers explaining why they oppose Mississippi’s “Personhood” amendment.

British schools ban girls from wearing skirts out of fears that they are “putting themselves at risk.”

10 very awesome black women teaching us about sex.

The greatest number of women incumbents up for re-election in the Senate in 2012.

“Women, you increase your odds of keeping your men by being faithful, a lady in the living room and a whore in the bedroom.” So tweeted New Jersey state senate candidate Phil Mitsch.

Women told to go to the back of the bus on the B110 line in Brooklyn.

Conservative website cheers for a woman who refused chemotherapy that would save her life in order to not endanger her pregnancy and hopes that “her story might help all mothers see nothing is worth the sacrifice of their own child.”

Donate to help get this documentary about Alice Walker made.

The douchebag behind the Hot Chicks of Occupy Wall Street tumblr and video continues to show his misogynist colors by making rape jokes. Charming.

Recent sexual assaults by off-duty U.S. servicemen have sparked outrage in South Korea.

Flavia on call-out culture and blogging as performance.

The Women, War and Peace series aired on PBS this week. Read a review of the first part, I Came to Testify, which explores women’s experiences in rape camps during the Bosnian genocide.

Are anti-choice laws in the states increasingly focused on the supply-side of abortion?

What have you been reading/writing/watching/learning this week?

St. Paul, MN

Maya Dusenbery is executive director in charge of editorial at Feministing. She is the author of the forthcoming book Doing Harm: The Truth About How Bad Medicine and Lazy Science Leave Women Dismissed, Misdiagnosed, and Sick (HarperOne, March 2018). She has been a fellow at Mother Jones magazine and a columnist at Pacific Standard magazine. Her work has appeared in publications like Cosmopolitan.com, TheAtlantic.com, Bitch Magazine, as well as the anthology The Feminist Utopia Project. Before become a full-time journalist, she worked at the National Institute for Reproductive Health. A Minnesota native, she received her B.A. from Carleton College in 2008. After living in Brooklyn, Oakland, and Atlanta, she is currently based in the Twin Cities.

Maya Dusenbery is an executive director of Feministing and author of the forthcoming book Doing Harm on sexism in medicine.

Read more about Maya

Join the Conversation