Weekly Feminist Reader

sign saying This Concerns Everybody
From the Occupy Wall Street protest in Times Square yesterday. (Via @BigMigs) More photos from Occupy protests from around the world here and here and here. This video from Madrid is pretty amazing too.

Sarah Jaffe on the symbolic power of the infrastructure at Occupy Wall Street: “Inside that space the protesters built a model for the communities they’d like to see.”

Domestic terrorist organization Operation Rescue outs an anonymous abortion provider.

Check out this film from Population Action International about how climate change disproportionately affects women.

A Catholic school decides to give students credit for praying outside an abortion clinic and then quickly rethinks that terrible idea.

The new “Fight Back” app will allow women in New Delhi to send an SOS if they’re assaulted on the street.

Jessica Grose laments the fact that so many high-profile articles by women are about sex/marriage/babies. Matthew Yglesias adds that it’s a shame more men aren’t covering these issues since family life is actually really important to everyone.

A new study finds that teens are actually pretty responsible about safe sex.

Jennifer Scott offers some thoughts on SlutWalk from a wheelchair.

Kjerstin at Bitch reviews Inside This Place, Not of It, which offers thirteen narratives from people who’ve been incarcerated in women’s prisons in the U.S.

Jill objects to “the health editor of a major women’s site suggesting that all birth control except Plan B sucks, and so the women of New York should collectively have dudes come on our tits.” SECONDED.

You guys know that Heather Corinna has a new advice column at Ms. Magazine, right?

“If you really want to know what the future of insurance coverage for abortion looks like, you should be keeping an eye on the states.” And it is not pretty, folks.

A powerful piece by s.e. smith on blogging, threats, and silence.

What have you been reading/writing/watching/learning this week?

1. Posted October 16, 2011 at 11:44 am | Permalink

re: The Catholic school and community service for abortion vigils:

It’s not your fault that Rh Reality check did not do any kind of journalism on this story so that it would provide the proper context, but in Canada the Catholic schools are all publicly funded and *because of that* are not allowed to sponsor (by giving community service credits) any political activities, not even if it is part of their religious or political beliefs. In fact, in the US where we have a better respect for religious belief this kind of activity, sponsored or at least supported by the Catholic school, takes place quite often.

It is not that this was decided to be “a terrible idea.” People praying quietly in front of an abortion clinic may seem tacky but it is absolutely not illegal or even offensive to most people.

2. Posted October 16, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

WRITING (and Drawing) :I did this blog post on making art and music at Occupy Wall Street, and ways I see the movement growing and diversifying:

Unfortunately since then my husband has taken very ill & we haven’t been able to make the “standoff” or the events of yesterday. :(

LEARNING: This morning sadly I awoke to learn that Citibank had people arrested for attempting to close their accounts, and a viral video that includes a woman in a business suit being forced into the bank screaming by cops who arrest her. This link is from Firedog Lake, but I’ve seen the video on other sources.

• Posted October 16, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

It seems pretty ridiculous that they dragged that woman back into the bank to arrest her.

That being said, it is worth noting that no one was being arrested for closing their accounts; they were being arrested for staging a demonstration inside the bank and not leaving when asked. That’s a pretty critical distinction.

That doesn’t necessarily make it acceptable, but it certainly changes the tone of the act. As a business owner, I can say that if clients tried to stage a protest of my business inside my business, and refused to leave when asked, I would also probably call the police.

Freedom of assembly doesn’t really extend to the interior of private businesses.

Titling the linked article “Closing Your CitiBank Account Can Get You Arrested” is akin to stating “Writing a Letter to the Editor of the New York Times Can Get You Arrested” and omitting the part about how the person who did so was arrested because they broke into the paper’s offices after hours to deliver the letter in person, at knife point. Technically somewhat accurate, but really lacking in the most relevant of details.

• Posted October 17, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

A)I didn’t write the article or it’s title.

B) Like virtually everything else concerning Occupy Wall Street, all news sources, left, right, and mainstream, conflict as to what actually happened. For example, I’ve also heard news stories stating that they were NOT asked to leave first.

But one thing that does occur in this video is that a woman is pounced on by police and dragged away screaming. Prior to them moving in on her, she states “I’m a Citibank customer.” It’s not even clear whether she was participating in the protest or closing her account, or simply making a deposit. It seems a flimsy pretext to handle this woman so violently. Just heard today that the Center For Constitutional Rights in tandem with the National Lawyer’s Guild will be taking on unjust arrests in regards to OWS, hopefully they have less of an obsession with excusing the status quo than I’ve encountered in some Feministing posters (but not staff writers).

Of course, like I said, this video is viral and on several sources, if Firedog Lake is too hardcore for people, they can always look at it on Gawker or whatever.

• Posted October 17, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Yeah, my criticisms weren’t directed at you, but rather at the article (that may not have been clear). And I totally agree that dragging the woman inside was totally out of line.

If the “maintaining the status quo” dig was directed at me, I should clarify that I don’t have any interest in doing so; it just bugs me when things that are bad enough on their own are misleadingly reframed when it isn’t necessary.

“Peacefully Protesting CitiBank Can Get You Arrested” still makes CitiBank look like a bunch of douches, and is less misleading.

• Posted October 19, 2011 at 12:03 am | Permalink

“maintaining the status quo” is something I’ve noticed in various comment threads on this blog. Issues for a while back with a poster who seemed intent on jumping down my throat over any remotely dissident thing I said, or there was that one “Male Bag” where a staff writer forwarded some harassing/threatening emails a guy had sent her from work to his superior–a number of posters jumped on HER for “threatening his job”?!? Other things I could cite. Sorry if I get jumpy over it at this point.

3. Posted October 16, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Book Review: Romeo’s Ex — This YA novel is a retelling of Romeo and Juliet from Rosaline’s perspective. It tries to do good things in making Rosaline intelligent, independent, and outspoken — but there are also some areas where it falls short.

Thoughts on a Chakra: Manipura — The core, will and assertiveness, and… parent-teacher conferences.

Fart Pose in Chairs — A modification of wind-relieving pose for people who might need extra support or have limited mobility.

And a bump — I’m still hoping to find more writers for my Domestic Violence Awareness Month blog carnival.

4. Posted October 16, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

My partner and I are currently in Berlin, so we were able to attend the Occupy Wall Street (Occupy Berlin?) protest held here yesterday.

I wrote about our experience (and shared a bunch of our photos) here: http://technosyncratic.com/travel/occupy-wall-street-berlin-protests/

It was intense (particularly our too-close-for-comfort pepper spray incident!), but very awesome overall.

5. Posted October 16, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Permalink