Weekly Feminist Reader

More than 40,000 women fill the stands at a women-only Turkish soccer match.

Some more on the murder of Troy Davis.

6 Obnoxious Assumptions Hollywood Makes About Women

A profile of “Mother Robin,” a midwife who runs free birth clinics serving poor women in Indonesia.

Dominique Strauss-Kahn and Julian Assange both continue to claim the rapes they’re accused of were consensual. But while Assange allows that he “may be a chauvinist pig,” DSK insists: “I respect women.”

In just days, online gamers cracked a puzzle in AIDS research that has stumped scientists for years.

“What did I opt for—my dignity or decent coverage?” On getting health insurance while fat.

10 historic female scientists you should know (besides Marie Curie)

According to a new report, 41% of black trans people in the U.S. have been homeless.

One woman’s terrible tale of accidentally visiting a crisis pregnancy center.

The New York Times talks to Niobe Way about her research on boys’ friendships. Read my review of her book Deep Secrets here.

If you’re in NYC, check out these three plays by black women playwrights debuting on Broadway.

When can I vote for Elizabeth Warren for President?

What have you been reading/writing/watching/learning this week?

1. Posted September 25, 2011 at 11:28 am | Permalink

At re:Cycling this week, Laura wrote about the possible connection between vitamin D deficiency and early menstruation and I wrote about the menopause episode of Roseanne’s Nuts (it’s awesome). We’ve also got some great stuff in our weekend links.

2. Posted September 25, 2011 at 11:42 am | Permalink

I find it really really interesting to see that feminists are willing to believe the innocence of a man (Davis) based on flimsy evidence yet on quite willing to believe the guilt of others based on the same concept (Assange & DSK).

Put it bluntly, if you believe Troy Davis to be innocent then you also believe that Assange and DSK are as well.

• Posted September 25, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

It is a bit odd. Anyone who advocated Troy Davis going free for the doubts raised by his attorneys and advocates could not in good conscience call Julian Assange or Dominique Strauss-Kahn guilty without exposing themselves as inconsistent in their application of justice.

• Posted September 25, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

If DSK or Assange were on death row and the majority of the witnesses recanted their story after the trial, I would advocate for a stay and retrial for them too. The fact is that neither has been tried, due, I believe, to the fact that it is often difficult to convict for rape and sexual assault because it is a witnessless crime and juries are liable to think the worst of women who have been sexually assaulted. I hope this clears up your confusion.

• Posted September 25, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Yeah, that makes tons of sense. Obviously there are no fundamental differences between the cases of Davis and Assange/DSK.

And if there were fundamental differences between these cases, one of those differences would certainly *not* be the fact that in the case of Davis, the argument is “sufficient doubt regarding innocence to warrant not killing him” and in the case of Assange and DSK the argument is “sufficient possibility of guilt to warrant prosecution.”

Yep, totally the same. Thanks for your awesome insight!

• Posted September 25, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

…no. Have you actually read anything about these cases? How do you conflate outrage against the government’s execution of a black man based on a botched trial and recanted testimonies with skepticism about the assumed innocence of two extremely powerful white men, whose alleged victims came forward and were automatically disbelieved?

Personally, I’m not making any judgments about the guilt or innocence of Davis, or of Assange & DSK. I’m angered by our government’s ability to murder anyone, and by the ongoing shaming/silencing of survivors of sexual abuse anywhere.

• Posted September 26, 2011 at 9:44 am | Permalink

Um, no. Firstly, the evidence that Troy Davis was GUILTY was flimsy, not the evidence that he was innocent.

Secondly, there is evidence that DSK and Assange are guilty, and it’s definitely stronger than the evidence suggesting Troy Davis was guilty.

Thirdly, “if you believe Troy Davis to be innocent then you also believe that Assange and DSK are as well” doesn’t make sense. Obviously, we don’t. And those three cases are very different. Judging two of the cases by the other case is simply ridiculous.

3. Posted September 25, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Banned Books Week, Masturbation, and Deenie — My experience reading Judy Blume’s Deenie at a conservative parochial school.

Aesthetics — How our concepts of fitness, beauty, and tone affect which muscles we exercise and how.

Thoughts on a Word: Fetching — What I think when I hear this synonym for “pretty.”

And 24 — When it comes to living with endo, these are the actions I appreciate from other people.

Psoas… So What? — On the structure and function of the posas muscle and its relationship to pelvic pain.

4. Posted September 25, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Watched the Parks & Recreation premiere and got psyched for the Knope 2012 campaign! I hope to see her advertising on Feministing soon!

• Posted September 25, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

I just watched it too and I think you can definitely expect a lot of Knope love around these parts!

• Posted September 25, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

I agree,Amy is HILARIOUS!-Parks & Rec was easily the best show on t.v. last season-lets hope 4 it 2 be that good or better this season,and Amy is great in the lead(the whole cast is awesome!)-lets hope that she can get an emmy next year since she lost this past time.—the knope campaign looks AWESOME!-Amy is easily the funniest woman on television,-i sure wish there was more of that on t.v. these days,but times are changing-GO KNOPE 2012!!!!

5. Posted September 25, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Reading:”An Open Letter From Black Women To Slutwalk” A friend of mine just re-tweeted this essay regarding the name “Slutwalk” & black women’s struggles with charactarizations/being defined by other factions of society as “sluts” “jezebels” etc. http://newblackman.blogspot.com/2011/09/open-letter-from-black-women-to.html

Some of this resonates to me given hypersexualized portrayals of “spicy” Latinas, though I also recognize the name as a response to the Canadian police officer’s remarks. Anyway, this essay was certainly something to think about.

Writing:”Moloch Over Georgia” This is something I just wrote out in the early hours immediately following the execution of Troy Davis, I guess, attempting to process it. I didn’t process it. http://jennydevildoll.wordpress.com/2011/09/22/919/

6. Posted September 25, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

A soccer match where only only women were allowed through the gates?

Sounds to me like a restaurant where only white people were allowed through the door.

7. Posted September 25, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

This week the bi-annual anti-choice protest 40 Days for Life begins – and I will be posting updates from the front lines of the protest in Bryan-College Station, Texas.

8. Posted September 25, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

I have no interest in defending Assange against these particular allegations.

However, I AM deeply disappointed that Feministing has thus far failed to cover the WikiLeaks developments, when the site covers so many other political issues. The other major player in the case, PFC Bradley Manning, experienced severe homophobia in the military, and is now being persecuted for making a conscientious decision to reveal evidence of war crimes and other human rights violations around the world. You have claimed in the past that issues like homophobia, racism, and imperialism all relate to feminism. Please, this issue is at the center at all of these, and the people who are being affected include innocent women and children around the world, not just Assange.

More information can be found here: http://www.bradleymanning.org

9. Posted September 26, 2011 at 6:20 am | Permalink

Saudi Arabian women got the vote!