The Wednesday Weigh-In: Your favorite memory

Here’s a video of a man with a camera asking 50 people on the street in Chicago what their favorite memory is. The results are predictably wonderful for a sap like me.

I think this is an impossible question, but, damn, it’s so sweet to see people try to think of their very favorite one on the spot. What’s your favorite memory?

Via The Hairpin. Transcript after the jump.

Transcript:

Oh my god. There are just so many. So many wonderful memories.

On man, I think you just made my day. They’re just flooding back and all these really great things.

My name is … and I live in Chicago with my daughter and I’m 74 years old.

My age is 32.

And I guess my favorite memory is probably Sunday morning when my dad would play his music with the huge sub-woofer. It would be like Billy Holiday of Supertram with the sun streaming in the windows.

My favorite memory was Christmas Day. I was 4 years old and I remember waking up to a brand-new bicycle.

Well…

One of my favorite memories is the first time I went skinny-dipping at night.

Uh, I got to play tug-o-war.

My English is not good, like I said. I watched with my little brother shooting stars.

My first kiss.

I’m from Chicago, I’m thirteen and my best memory was my first day of school.

Being on a rocky beach in Croatia with my husband on the Island of ….

The first day I moved to Chicago to be an actor.

Hi, I’m Nick and we’re from Connecticut and I’m 17 for about two more weeks or so.

I’m Andrea, I’m his mom and I’m gonnna be 60 very shortly. And we’re gonna share our favorite memory which was…

The time that we went to the Hartford Excel Center and saw Lady Gaga live. It was awesome.

Yes, Lady Gaga, she rocks!

Put your claws up!

Last summer I went to a water park with my friends…

Taking my first sailboat out.

And we went on this crazy ride were we flew like 20 feet in the air on an intertube.

It would probably be last summer when I went on vacation to Thailand and I met this girl.

That’s hard. I have a lot of memories.

Well, I used to play football and my best memory is winning the state championship.

Oh my god, that’s a real hard question.

My favorite memory is Toys R Us when I was a little kid right here on State Street. Jeffery the Giraffe–he was always there.

My favorite memory is going on a ship and then going to the science museum. I enjoy very much.

My favorite memory is all the hugs my mom gave me my whole life.

My mother flying across country and surprising me on my 21st birthday.

Growing up close to the city and just having the beach and the Cubs and the White Sox and everything accessible at my front door.

My favorite memory of all time is spending time on the lake, on Lake Michigan.

One of my favorite memories is actually I got to go on a high school choir trip to Ireland and one of my favorite parts of it was actually going to the Blarney Stone and kissed and then I got my Claddagh ring.

My favorite memory is my dad holding me as a child on the deck of a boat, as we were coming over from England, emigrating to the states, and showing me the whales.

My favorite memory of all time was when he was born. It was the greatest, absolute more wonderful moment of my life.

Mine’s becoming successful.

Being on the lake when I was a little kid.

My favorite is me picking Nola up here from the train station and stopping quite a bit of traffic in the process after not having seen her for several months.

My favorite memory of all time is adopting my Shitzu Pierre.

Wow, you just made my day. I’m gonna have a good walk home now.

1. Posted September 21, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Oh gosh! This is so heartwarming and wonderful. And what a great idea!

My favorite memory is all of my time spent as a camp counselor in the last couple of years.

2. Posted September 21, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Being in a Worship with several Quakers my own age, where every message given was meaningful and intense. I cried my eyes out for most of it, because it was so overwhelming, but I felt so connected to the Universe and to other people.

3. Posted September 21, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

A couple weeks after coming out to my parents as genderqueer, which was a rather dull moment surprisingly, I had just come home after my first podium finish in a bike race. As I was sitting in a chair drinking a smoothie and eating cold burritos, my parents told me that they were(are) incredibly proud of me and glad that I was their child. I excused myself to the my room and cried for a good hour and a half.

4. Posted September 21, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

I am pretty sure, not positive, but pretty sure that my favourite memory hasn’t happened yet.

5. Posted September 21, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

I feel like I’m trying to cast my patronus(which would definitely be an octopus)

I have so many fantastic memories, but there was one day where everything seemed to be going right. It was my junior year of high school.
    I was dating the girl of my dreams who I had a crush on for a year. And I finally got to kiss her, and it felt like universes of happiness were surging through my body.
    Then I went to my best friend’s house. Her dog had just had puppies and I got to basically run, and roll around and laugh in a field full of puppies.
    then I went to our school’s talent show and read some original poetry and I won third. Which didn’t stop anyone from treating me like a rockstar on my way out. I got hugs from strangers(One being a woman in her mid thirties who had tears in her eyes) and everyone told me I should’ve won. It was really special considering I was identified as lesbian at the time and the poem was a love poem to another young lady. And I live in a small town in Kentucky.

6. Posted September 22, 2011 at 4:41 am | Permalink

Oh wow. I remember a time a year or two ago, and me and this group of girls I was friends with were in the same house group in school, and we had this big house meeting or something and we had to answer these riddles.

Anyway, we basically just pissed around the whole time, we crawled under the table and read all the stickers underneath. I don’t think I even said anything, I was never the talkative one. There were these two girls in the group, and they were the loud and funny ones, they were the ones making all the jokes. I just laughed the whole time. I laughed and laughed, I remember how much it hurt.

But I can remember thinking: life can’t be that bad if I get to feel like this once in a while. I was so happy. I was nothing but happy.

7. Posted September 23, 2011 at 4:44 am | Permalink

When I was a kid my dad used to make us pancakes every Sunday morning. Sundays were our family days and I was not yet old enough to resent that. Both of my parents are doctors who worked hard, so those Sundays meant spending time with me and my sisters. My dad’s pancakes were a work of art. He could make shapes. Not just your average shapes, like hearts or stars. No, he played around with the batter, putting some on the griddle earlier to make it darker. He could make us butterflies with actual spots. One October he perfected a witch flying over a full moon. The pancakes themselves were made from Bisquick mix and were delicious enough, but the real excitement came from the artistry of eating a desert landscape.

Seriously those pancakes could not be believed. I took a food writing class where we were told to write about the food that had the most impact in our lives and my teacher flat out refused to believe it was possible.

8. Posted October 1, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

wow, this really got to me. loved it. and i happen to know someone in this video – incredible.
    - chicago local