Man crashes into sex toy shop for $900 dollar vagina

I feel like this should be a knock-knock joke–but that’s what actually happened. A dude stole a semi in Lorraine County, Ohio and crashed it into a local store sex shop, Adultmart, to steal a life like size sex toy. The news report is pretty hilarious.

Joking aside, this guy is either so overcome by his serious appetite for fake vagina sex toys that it leads him to engage in destructive behavior to get his desires met–which is more then having a sex kink, but shows a desperation that is not reflective of healthy sexuality. Or he was stealing it to resell, who knows.

But the news story was pretty big on calling him a sex-crazed pervert, a deviant, “crazy,” etc and their only evidence, outside of stealing a semi, is that he wanted this sex toy. What about people that just want the $900 dollar toy? Dare I ask, is anyone that wants a fake vagina a “sex-crazed perverted deviant?” Seems a little harsh to me.

1. Posted August 24, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Let’s observe: If it were a $900 TV or computer or something, media would probably assume it was being stolen for resale value in order to purchase drugs, or something.

But steal a sex toy? You’re a pervert. …Note that if it WAS stolen for personal use, would we prefer stealing of inanimate objects over raping of living womenz? Yeah.

2. Posted August 24, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

I’d guess from the price that this is a doll they’re talking about.

3. Posted August 24, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

People spend money on much sillier things, but is the real injustice here how much people in Lorraine County pay for sex toys? You can get that same toy for $49o easy: http://www.healthyandactive.com/the-fuck-me-silly-3.html

4. Posted August 24, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

Wow. I own a vibrator shaped like a penis. Am I a deviant, too? $900 is a bit steep, though. I thin I only paid about $30 for mine. There’s clearly a market for an affordable, high-quality vagina-shaped sex toy!

5. Posted August 24, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

Um, what’s with the title? You address it in the article, but it’s problematic to refer to a sex toy, even in the title, as a “$900 vagina”. Aside from the obvious inaccuracy, it also creates issues in that it falls into the notion that sex toys for male-bodied individuals are substitutes for heteronormative sex, and only ever that, creating a sexual narrative that shames individual masturbatory practices.

6. Posted August 24, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

There’s also possibly a bit of wordplay with “major sex drive” – considering that he crashed into the place with a semi. I might be giving the writers more credit than they deserve, but I’m not sure.

7. Posted August 24, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

Sorry to be picky here, but it is actually spelled “Lorain” county.

And unfortunately, you stumbled upon the most sensationalistic of our news sources out here in northern Ohio. They have a history of using this kind of language, unfortunately. A lot of the other news stations/newspapers who reported on this were able to refrain from being *as* judgemental.

I find it very telling, though, that the vagina was labeled with a price tag and that the man was called a deviant for stealing it. Cause don’t you know, women don’t have any say in whether their bodies are used for sexual purposes FOR FREE without any consequences for men because they are in a perpetual state of consent, so why steal a fake one? (Rolls eyes.)

8. Posted August 24, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Permalink

I’d also like to be picky and comment on the weird grammar in the phrase “life like size sex toy.” I’m guessing someone accidentally wrote “life size” when they meant “life like” and then accidentally left both in?

9. Posted August 25, 2011 at 9:20 am | Permalink

I don’t think it’s much of a stretch, frankly.

People own sex toys for sexual gratification. No one is arguing that that, in and of itself, marks a person as a sexual deviant. But the end result of owning a sex toy is in service to a person’s sex drive.

This person committed a crime. A crime that:
    a) had a victim (the owner of the semi, who makes his or her livelihood off of that vehicle)
    b) could have hurt someone
    c) had a second victim (the owner of the store, hopefully whose insurance will cover the losses both to the storefront and to the merchandise).

So this man’s decision to steal a truck and drive it into a storefront was certainly not a rational, balanced decision. And since the point was that he wanted sexual gratification, I think “sex-crazed” (apart from being a little on the ablist side) is not far off the mark. Had he simply shoplifted? Well, obviously he’s still committing a crime. But by degrees it’s a lot less severe (and let’s face it: irrational) than what he did.

10. Posted August 25, 2011 at 10:28 am | Permalink

LOL @ the black newscaster saying “Drop a dime on this fool!”