Adam Corolla thinks we should change “LGBT” to “yuck”

Adam Corolla has made a career out of being a racist misogynist bully, so it is not much of a surprise that when given the opportunity he goes on hateful anti-gay and transphobic tirades. When faced with the discussion of sexual-orientation based bullying and suicide in schools and the case for why Bert and Ernie should get married on Sesame Street he laughed and made a series of violent comments.

(Trigger warning)

You can check out the clip here, the comments start at about 1:19.

A few comments that really stick out (not verbatim but pretty close):

“Can the gays shut up–please get married and shut up.”

“Yeah Bert and Ernie butt-fucking is going to save a lot of lives…”

“What’s with all the training going on. I don’t feel like I had any training and I ended up just fine. You know what teaches kids to share? You smack ‘em.”

“It’s important that I teach my kids about guys that want to have their cocks cut off and vaginas put in their place.”

In an apology he says, “I’m sorry my comments were hurtful. I’m a comedian, not a politician.”

That’s not really an apology or a really good explanation. Clearly, he didn’t get the memo–comedians are supposed to be funny.

Only an asshole would make fun of an already marginalized community in the face of statistics of depression and suicide. The one piece of this story that can give us some solace is that his has-been career has completely taken him to nowheresville, so clearly his hate-mongering is not really as effective or funny as he hopes it to be.

1. Posted August 16, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Gays in a lot of states still can’t get married. That’s precisely why they aren’t shutting up.

As for Bert and Ernie, I still think they’re living together to cope with the tremendous housing costs on Sesame Street. I mean, do you think people can afford single apartments when there’s a main character living in a trash can?

“I don’t feel like I had any training and I ended up fine.” Really? I think the point of training is so that people don’t become jerkwads like you.

2. Posted August 16, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Why even propagate Corolla’s message? Hadn’t heard of him until your post and will quickly forget him. He’s a self-proclaimed, albeit not funny, comedian. He depends on publicity to eat. Don’t give it to him and his voice of hatred will disappear. As it stands, I think the post is at best a waste of time and at worst counterproductive.

3. Posted August 16, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

When will these “edgy” comedians understand that hateful does not equal funny? Ugh.

4. Posted August 16, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

I think the dude is pretty funny. I don’t take him seriously and I don’t take the things he says seriously.

• Posted August 16, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Adam is talented, or used to be talented, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t a bigot. I think he’s very serious when he goes on these sorts of rants. You should take him seriously.

I used to listen to his Loveline show when I was a kid. He’s always been a bit racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. It’s gotten much worse over the years. Sad, really.

His “I don’t feel like I had any training and I ended up just fine” line is priceless.

5. Posted August 16, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Adam Corolla himself is just yuck! My uncle LOVES him, and listens to him daily on the radio, and even bought some of his books. The disturbing thing about all of this is that my uncle’s only child is his daughter. A woman. You think he’d have a little more respect for his only daughter’s sake instead of buying books called “In fifty years we’ll all be chicks” yes, that was the actual name of the AC book he got. Not to mention he grew up with four sisters. This is so sad indeed. I knew Corolla
    was sexist, so I should have figured he would say horrible crap like this as well.

6. Posted August 16, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

I’ve never heard of this guy until I read this post. I wish I could go back to that.

7. Posted August 16, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

What a hateful jerk! And really, this is hate speech, pure and simple. Sadly, a lot of the first amendment worshippers are going to bend over backwards to defend this ass’s right to make these disgusting statements.

Thankfully, I’m glad I can respond with “Adam who?.” I’ve never heard of this…comedian.

• Posted August 17, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

First amendment worshipers?? Are you implying that the first amendment isn’t one of the most important things in our society? Certainly much more important than people getting offended at some third rate comedians assholery.

Ristricting speech is not progressive. Its backwards thinking.

8. Posted August 17, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

Saying things like “Adam Who?” is petty, reductive, and ultimately harmful as just because YOU don’t know who someone is doesn’t mean they don’t have the attention of a significant portion of society. And as someone who has listened to too many AC podcasts secondhand, I can tell you he is WAY more popular than you think.

And the worst thing about his popularity? He gives an outlet to the most privileged groups in society…white, middle-to-upper class cis-gendered, heterosexual men. And yet he complains about how terrible his life is. He is racist, homophobic and a raging misogynist, he is literally a horrible person but hides behind the “I’m a comedian” facade to get away with it and soften the blow. He very subtly perpetrates all the awful aspects of the patriarchy to anyone that will listen, and he has a huge audience; he managed to get the Guinness record for most downloaded podcast just by word of mouth.

So for someone you may not have heard of, he’s someone to contend with, and just ignoring him will not make him go away.