Weekly Feminist Reader

cartoon showing couple asking the GOP about their plan to get American back to work and GOP responding that they are against gay marriage and abortion
No but seriously–what the fuck is your plan to get America back to work? [Via Political Wire]

Oh, Phyllis Schlafly. Here she is making the case for shotgun weddings.

Ann says Huma should run for her husband Anthony Weiner’s seat. Agreed times one million.

8 Ways Men and Boys Are Helping to End Gender-Based Violence

Members of Iraq’s leading feminist organization were assaulted during a pro-democracy rally in Tahrir Square.

Quote of the week: Republican Sen. Roy McDonald is now supporting marriage equality in New York:

“You get to the point where you evolve in your life where everything isn’t black and white, good and bad, and you try to do the right thing. You might not like that. You might be very cynical about that. Well, fuck it, I don’t care what you think. I’m trying to do the right thing. I’m tired of Republican-Democrat politics. They can take the job and shove it. I come from a blue-collar background. I’m trying to do the right thing, and that’s where I’m going with this.”

Find out how many households look like yours with this super fun interactive infographic!

Julie Klausner laments the trend of grown women adopting girlish personas. Tami wonders: Who is the black Zoey Deschanel?

Boxing legend Sugar Ray Lenard tells of being sexual assaulted by a coach.

North Carolina is confronting the ugly history of its old eugenics law.

Is there a War on Women? Apparently that’s not a question the White House is comfortable answering.

The International Criminal Court has accused Libyan dictator Gaddafi of ordering the mass rape of hundreds of women. Hillary Clinton calls for an investigation. Gender Across Borders considers how effective international law is in combating rape as as a weapon of war.

Worst. Political. Ad. Ever.

“Far from seeming “manly,” aggressive sexuality was associated with women.”

Reminder: 1 in 15 black men over age 18 are incarcerated in the U.S. Plus some other terrible stats in this infographic on mass incarceration.

Some videos of women driving.

What have you been reading/writing this week?

1. Posted June 19, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

I wrote two blog posts this week.

1) Why you should never post/write/tweet while steaming mad.

2) Why “meaning well” is never enough.

2. Posted June 19, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

(All the posts below discuss body size and related issues.)

I read two great pieces this week about how we perceive body size and wrote reactions to both.

The first is Autumn Whitefield-Madrano’s The Word “Plus-Size” and how it impacts shopping and fashion. My reaction as an often plus-size shopper.

Also The Trouble with Proving It over at Dances With Fat, which talks about trying to prove to fat shamers that fit, active fat people do exist. The chain of photo and video links in the post and comments are incredible. I also included my reaction — complete with videos of my own — over at my blog.

3. Posted June 19, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

that infographic on incarceration is very powerfully revealing, however it leaves out native americans, which i have heard have the highest percentage of men behind bars.

4. Posted June 19, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

“is there a black Zoey Deschanel?”

Maybe Zoe Kravitz. Maybe.

5. Posted June 19, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

Am I the only one who feels like these periodic articles we see about how men and women are so childish these days really all boil down to “people are making choices about what they enjoy or how to live their lives that aren’t the same as mine, and I want to shame them for that”?

• Posted June 20, 2011 at 1:06 am | Permalink

Sam, you’re not the only one. As long as someone is responsible for themselves and not hurting anyone else, what does it matter if they like milkshakes better than single malt scotch?

If a guy only respects women when they project a “hard” image, I posit he doesn’t truly espect *any* women, because we all have our soft sides. (And, needless to say, the same can be said about any combination of genders. If we can only accept men as REAL men if they never cry, we’re doing them a disservice too. God, just let people be people!)

• Posted June 20, 2011 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Seriously. Especially since she implies wearing high heels with a skirt instead of converse, or going on a traditional date instead of a walk is somehow way more empowering (if you like heels and dates, good for you, but you’d think she would choose examples that didn’t have a history of being criticized by feminists).

And in my opinion it boils down to: “damn it, I had to pretend to be the embodiment of the manly powerful breadwinner/sophisticated femme fatale when I reached adulthood, and now these kids are throwing that all away and having FUN instead? I shall not stand for this!”

• Posted June 20, 2011 at 10:54 am | Permalink

pretty much this. her website is covered in pink and flowers, but she takes issue with the trends of birds and rainbows.

• Posted June 20, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

I agree. I also felt like the article was sort of classist/materialistic … I mean, really, does wearing jewelry that’s not sold on etsy make me more of a “real grown-up”? The article was also pretty condescending.

• Posted June 22, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

I agree fully. Especially when I see the things critiqued in this article. I’m all for responsibility and self-reliance, but what kind of cold, joyless adulthood is she advocating where you can’t love animals, appreciate the beauty of a rainbow, or enjoy a cupcake once in a while? (Especially since a lot of feminism seems to support women getting past media-induced body hangups. C’mon! Have the cupcake!!)

As for what I’m reading/writing this week: Working through Camus’s “The Rebel” (see Klausner? I read things written before I was born! And I still wear Converse and love our kitten Frankie! NYAAH!), and also a new graphic novel from Feminist Press on the life of feminist artist Ana Mendieta. I’ve been writing the final hammered out versions of a bunch of performance pieces that we’re scheduled to perform Friday night and again Saturday afternoon.

6. Posted June 19, 2011 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

This week I blogged about:
    1. the pop-culture disconnect between attractiveness and geekiness

and

2. One of my favorite female MCs, Shadia Mansour, who is a great rapper and advocate for Palestine. http://our-turn-feminism.blogspot.com/2011/06/feminist-rapper-friday-shadia-mansour.html

7. Posted June 20, 2011 at 1:28 am | Permalink

Here’s my points: awesome cartoon, eeeewwwww Phyllis Schafly, let’s hear it for the boys (for trying to end misogynistic violence), and thanks Roy for cutting off the B.S. and standing up for the right to marry