Go ahead and JUMP!

Around the time of the 2010 Winter Olympics, I blogged about the exclusion of women from one particular sport: ski jumping. Ski jumping was one of the two sports at the Winter Games that was open to men but not to women.

Many people have voiced the opinion that sexism was at the root of this exclusion, since women like America’s Lindsey Van had proved themselves more than capable of jumping and jumping well – in some cases, better than the men. Oh, and we also suspected that sexism was at play because one member of the International Ski Federation explained why women were unfit to jump by saying, “Don’t forget, it’s like jumping down from, let’s say, about two meters on the ground about a thousand times a year, which seems not to be appropriate for ladies from a medical point of view.”

Well, it’s a sad day for that ISF member and everyone else who is Very Concerned About Ovaries, because the International Olympic Committee just decided that beginning in 2014, women’s ski jumping will be an event at the Winter Games!

Lindsey Van says she’s relieved at the decision. “We worked really hard for this,” she told the Associated Press. “It feels really good to finally finish it. It’s just a big relief for me and I’m really excited for the future of the sport.”

Photo: CBC

1. Posted April 7, 2011 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Amazing what happens when you let women make their own decision about their own bodies.

2. Posted April 7, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

I linked to a story on this yesterday on Facebook. I am overjoyed! I wish it had happened for the 2010 games, but at least it has finally happened.

I wonder what the medical qualifications of that ISF member are. My guess is none.

3. Posted April 7, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

So what’s the last remaining hold-out sport that’s still closed to women?

4. Posted April 8, 2011 at 4:02 am | Permalink

Great post, and I definitely agree, but I’m pretty sure you mean Lindsey Vonn, not Van (the story you linked to got it wrong, too).

• Posted April 8, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

No, they’re right. Lindsey Vonn is a downhill skier, while Van is a champion ski jumper. Just very similar names.

• Posted April 8, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Permalink

Ah, my mistake! Thanks, Sarah.