Stamps these days: “Polar bears, lots of women and blacks no one has ever heard of”

Uh oh. Someone has a case of the privileged white male sads! Alan Fraser at the conservative website American Thinker wants to know why postage stamps these days feature “polar bears, lots of women and blacks no one has ever heard of.”

Since Fraser is apparently too lazy to google the ones he doesn’t know, I helped him out by adding some hyperlinks to the list he finds so objectionable:

“There’s Julia de Burgos (who?), Mother Teresa (an Albanian saint), Oscar Micheaux (a black guy I never heard of), Kate Smith, Katharine Hepburn, Love, Pansies in a Basket, the Year of the Rabbit (Forever, a Navajo necklace, Anna Julia Cooper (a black woman I never heard of), Adopt a Shelter Pet, Butterfly, Tiffany lamps, Chinese bracelets, KwanzaaMary Lasker (who?), Richard Wright (another black guy), playing cards, balloons, daisies, cherries, all the NFL Teams, Hollywood personalities, the Simpsons, and don’t forget…you guessed it…the all-important-never-thing-that-one-cannot-know-too-much-about…wait for it… Negro Baseball Leagues.”

Fraser concludes: “It’s almost as though a law had been enacted to prevent the intelligent representation of American History through its postage stamps.” Yep, that must be it. Or maybe Alan Fraser just doesn’t know all that much about history.

It’s ok to just admit it, Fraser! But here’s an idea. Instead of dealing with the reality that your days in the majority in this country are numbered by clinging like a scared baby to the last vestiges of your rank sense of entitlement, maybe you should think of this as an opportunity. Maybe you’ll find that Julia de Burgos’ poetry moves you, Kate Smith has the most beautiful voice you’ve ever heard, and reading Richard Wright’s work becomes the first important step on what is sure to be a very long journey to no longer being a racist asshole.

Also, everyone loves polar bears, dude.

1. Posted April 6, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Seriously, Fraser?

Oh noes! Representation of non-whites and women on stamps! Surely, the reckoning has come- oh, curse this white skin wrapping this prostate-totin’ body! Lord, the trouble I’ve seen! We shall overcome!

Dude. Gimme a break. If people are making stamps of people other than white men, it’s because we’ve already made stamps for all the important white men (I know, Alan- you’re sad you ain’t one of them). Let the exemplary Americans from the rest of the population be recognized, too.

2. Posted April 6, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Whenever white men go on the whole “woe is me, life sucks for a white male” rant, I just politely remind people that they aren’t losing power. Rather, we are just making society more fair for everyone.

At the very least, I try to make these guys realize that they aren’t being overthrown but (hopefully) are sharing in the privileges that we enjoyed.

Perhaps it is my Canadian sensibilities, but how can he get mad at polar bears? You can only have so many Regan stamps.

• Posted April 6, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

I will fight to defend our right to right to (polar) bear arms! :)

• Posted April 6, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

…and the right to premature post-clickulation. Pardon typos. XD

3. Posted April 6, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

It’s cool that all of the commenters on that blog are totally into what he is saying…

4. Posted April 6, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Exsqueeze me Fraser, but Richard Wright is the writer of such works like “Black Boy” and “Native Son.” You’d know that if you took High School english!

5. Posted April 6, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

I don’t know anything about Alan Fraser, so I won’t comment on whether he’s a racist sexist who also hates polar bears or a polar bear-hating sexist racist. It seems clear, though, that this is just another case of a white male conservative expressing his desire to lick other white male conservatives. I think he should be praised for his courage in that respect.

6. Posted April 6, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

1- Wonder what he would think of the stamps supporting breast cancer research that I always buy in honor of my grandmother. Is everything related to women or femininity automatically “childish” and “silly”? In the words of Madonna — “You think that being a girl is degrading.”

2- Mother Teresa was/is not an “Albanian saint.” She is “The Blessed Teresa of Calcutta” (not “of Albania”), beatified, not canonized (yet). How is her commemoration possibly, even for Mr. Fraser, described as “childish, silly, and racist”? Is Mr. Fraser opposed to Catholic social work? or just, again, to being female in public?

3- Other stamps sold online at the USPS store and conveniently not mentioned by Fraser include Scouting, Flags of our nation (4 sets), Washington and Jackson, Purple Heart, George Washington, The Civil War, Patriotic Quill and Inkwell, several national parks, “early TV memories,” Gregory Peck, and Kansas statehood. Really losing our heteronormative white male militarized American history with all those.

7. Posted April 7, 2011 at 10:27 am | Permalink

I have the hardest time grasping the concept that someone doesn’t know who Richard Wright is. Did this white man I’ve never heard of not go to high school? I graduated from a tiny private school in a class with only 7 black girls and we did an entire unit on black writers, including Mr. Wright. I’m flabbergasted.
    And as someone who grew up with Buck O’Neil in her church congregation and was there when he helped to open the Negro Leagues museum, I’m amazed at how dismissive this white guy I’ve never heard of seems to be of an aspect of what I thought was this nation’s past time.

And yeah, dude. Everybody loves polar bears. If only because if you don’t, they’ll knock your jaw off. Or didn’t you see the Golden Compass?

8. Posted April 7, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

You’d think this guy would at least be happy about the polar bear, since they’re white.

Or was it a depiction of a female polar bear that nobody ever heard of?