What We Missed

Apparently the New York Times thinks transgender issues, on par with jeggings and thigh-high boots, are a trend and belong in the Style section. Ugh.

Lisa Ling talks about her miscarriage, still so invisibilized in mainstream media, in an upcoming episode of The View.

The amazing Connie Schultz on the amazing Elizabeth Edwards.

Our very own Chloe writes about the one-third of  women who report feeling pain during sex.

Aurora Levins Morales on the shock of “coming back to capitalism.”

And don’t forget to come out to our panel at The Sackler Center for Feminist Art tomorrow if you’re in the NYC-area and want to chat it up about–what else?!–feminism.

1. Posted December 10, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

SO happy to see Chloe writing about vulvar/vaginal pain. I have had Vaginismus all my life, and while some treatment has helped, I still struggle with it. It’s ALWAYS nice to see statistics indicate that it’s more common than people think. It makes me feel less like, as she herself put it, ”an evolutionary failure.”

I started a Vaginismus Support group on Facebook some time ago. I don’t mean to promote something of my own, but at the time of creating this, there were only ”humorous” (read: offensive) vaginismus groups on Facebook. Now, we have over 100 members, and it’s nice to be part of a group that understands.

Once again, THANK YOU, CHLOE!!

• Posted December 10, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

Whoops…link wasn’t parsed correctly. Ah, well.

2. Posted December 10, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

YES the NYTimes does think that transgender issues belong in the Style section. BUT that article, in particular, wasn’t exactly about transgender issues so much as it was about the presence of blurred gender presentation or drag or trans-identified models in mainstream fashion. So I guess just this once I feel OK about it.

3. Posted December 11, 2010 at 2:29 am | Permalink

Thank you Chloe for writing an insightful article about painful intercourse. I’m currently having this problem called vaginismus, which causes involuntary spasms that make your vaginal muscles tighten. I’ve always known I had this issue for a while but everyone said it’s because I’m a virgin and it’s normal to experience pain. But I can’t even get through a pelvic exam or insert a finger there let alone a toy. I’ve seen a psychologist who was useless and have been to physical therapy which was also useless. Right now I’m in virgin territory and I’m trying to save up money to undergo botox injections, which I’ve read has been an effective treatment for vaginismus.

4. Posted December 11, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

To be fair the nytimes article is mostly about trans representation in fashion magazines and pop culture.

5. Posted December 12, 2010 at 11:33 am | Permalink

About the NY Times article, it’s specifically talking about a trend in fashion of featuring trans people. I think it belongs in the section about fashion. It’s not talking about trans rights (until the end as a little connection to the world outside of magazines and runways). It’s talking about models who are trans or designers who are using trans people as inspiration.

The history of the fashion industry’s cyclical obsession with trans models is actually pretty interesting, and not something I knew.

This quote from the article summarizes I think why it belongs in the Style section and not some other section: “Gay magazines talk about the rights of gay people and the achievements of the gay movement. I didn’t want Candy to be like that. I wanted it to be like Vogue.”