Dr. Laura finds a new home o’ hate with Sirius XM

PhotobucketAin’t that a peach. As I predicted, just three months after Dr. Laura Schlessinger ended her show after saying the n-word multiple times on air (and being a racist asshole in general), she’s found a new home on Sirius XM satellite radio. This isn’t too surprising considering this is a venue that also allows the gem personalities of Glenn Beck and Howard Stern.

As AP (apparently prematurely) reported,Schlessinger says she’s looking forward to spewing more racist bullshit under her right to free speech:

“The first and most important thing that appealed to me was the freedom to speak my mind without advertisers and affiliates being attacked by activist groups that just love to censor anything they don’t agree with [...] That just about made my heart and head explode.”

Yes, so tragic and heart-wrenching to be criticized for chastising one of your listeners with such racist contempt. Naturally she’s the victim here. But luckily for her, Sirius XM apparently condones such language — which says something larger about white privilege and the normalization of racism within conservative punditry (and the media in general). The Grio aptly says:

[N]ot to say that people can’t make mistakes or that they can’t be given second chances. The point here is that there is clearly a double standard that connects directly to the long held American precept that black people are the perpetual underclass of our society. Insulting black people won’t get you fired from a job, especially if you’ve designated yourself to be conservative.

1. Posted November 29, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

The only good news is that satellite radio came out way too late to ever really be that successful (thanks to iPhones etc which are basically way more awesome) so the whole thing can’t be that long-lived.

2. Posted November 29, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

I grew up with such talk, I go home to it when I visit, and otherwise I try to block it out of my head whenever possible.

3. Posted November 29, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Oh man, I was hoping she’d banish from public life. But you can’t kill evil easily

4. Posted November 29, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

I don’t suppose there’s any point in mentioning the First Amendment, is there?

• Posted November 30, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

No, there isn’t, because no one is violating her first amendment rights. Everyone is entitled to express their opinions, but no one is entitled to a national platform for it. Criticism is not a violation of free speech, but an exercise of it. There’s nothing unconstitutional about protesting Dr. Laura’s new opportunity to spread racist garbage. The government can’t try to stop her, but everybody else sure as hell can.

• Posted November 30, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

You are right. Up until the last phrase: Jessica Carillo certainly sure comes close to calling for a ban.

Maybe this is not the forum, but I am decidedly uncomfortable when I see “… everybody else sure as hell can [try to stop her].” Much too close to mob rule to my ears.

If everyone has the right to express their opinions, then it follows that they actually should be allowed to. Without having to fear being shut down.