Sexism? What sexism?

Picture of white dude, with the words "Did you just say misogynist? Your opinion is now invalid. Sweet tits."

"Did you just say misogynist? Your opinion is now invalid. Sweet tits."

Meet Privilege Denying Dude.

Look, I wasn’t around when all that bad stuff happened. All I know is I got to where I am solely by hard work. Discrimination? I’m not going to listen to this. You obviously can’t hear me: my reality is the only reality.

Privilege Denying Dude is a tumblr site, and an amazing representation of all arguments made in response to discussions of oppression, sexism, racism, transphobia, classism and misogyny on the internet.

Sometimes laughter is the only way to to deal.

1. Posted November 18, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

I was really Feministing wouldn’t post this.

The problem with these sites (and political humor in general) is that they de-humanize the opposition. Just like a sexist “joke” in Family Guy can make the viewer sexist in real life, so can repeated exposure this stereotype (and yes, it is a stereotype) damage your view of reality.

In real life, misogyny can comes from many demographics, including women, minorities, and the working class. But according to the PDD stereotype, misogynists are always white, upper-class males.

In real life, there are people on “the other side” who have intelligent opinions (even if I personally disagree with them). Christina Hoff Summers may be wrong, but she’s not a simpleton. On PDD, no anti-feminists have opinions worth critiquing.

In real life, the people who really hate women have either had a really bad experience with them, or were brainwashed as a kid (usually by a father who had a bad experience). Every woman hater I’ve known was, undearneath it all, a woman-fearer. You don’t hear that story on PDD.

Now I know that in your conscious mind, you know that PDD is not a representation of real life. But your subconscious isn’t that clever. When you ridicule people, your subconscious starts to dehumanize them. And feminists of all people should know that how damaging subconsious dehumanization can be.

• Posted November 18, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

“In real life, the people who really hate women have either had a really bad experience with them, or were brainwashed as a kid (usually by a father who had a bad experience). ”

So, what, ultimately misogyny is some woman’s fault somewhere down the line? Would you excuse a racist because “they had a bad experience with a black person once upon a time”? At what point do people like these become culpable for their own actions and attitudes?

• Posted November 18, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

It’s the height of arrogance to assume that your political views are simply a function of your moral fortitude. Most people come to their ideologies either by childhood socialization, or by random events that just happen to shake them up. All I’m saying is that anti-feminists are no different. This is true for feminist, anti-feminist, and yes, even racists.

If you ever want to see the “real enemy”, go spend some time reading men’s rights sites and actually LISTEN to what they are saying. You will find that fear is the dominant emotion. These men are scared that women will take their jobs, divorce them with 60% of their cash and throw them in jail on false rape charges. It’s difficult to see things clearly when you’re scared.

• Posted November 19, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

I’ve read MRA sites. I’ve yet to see anyone on them owning up to their own stuff, just looking to blame women and feminism for everything wrong in their lives. Meanwhile, I’m too busy being concerned about the rights of us women to spend time feeling sorry for a bunch of misogynists because some woman didn’t give them a date or whatever some time in the past and now they use that as a justification to hate ALL women. Hell, I’ve been raped and abused by certain INDIVIDUAL men in the past, but I don’t hate ALL men or think that they all behave that way. I know many men who are just as opposed to that kind of stuff as I am. So why should I give pats on the head to some anti-feminist who claims it’s ok to hate me (or any other woman) based on the actions of someone else?

• Posted November 19, 2010 at 8:18 am | Permalink

Summer didn’t use the words ‘fault’ or ‘excuse’ anywhere in there. Understanding your enemy is not the same as justifying your enemy – and it’s much easier to defeat an enemy that we understand.

• Posted November 19, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

It was inferred.

And as for “understanding” the enemy that way, I think the “my mother/ex-girlfriend/that cheerleader in high school was mean to me so now I hate all women” stuff is not the truth anyway, it’s just an excuse they make up to avoid responsibility and once again turn the blame onto their favorite targets, women. If you read up on the psychology of abusive men, this excuse comes up a lot, but their behavior actually stems a lot more from their own beliefs about what they’re entitled to, especially from partners.

• Posted November 19, 2010 at 4:50 am | Permalink

“In real life, misogyny can comes from many demographics, including women, minorities, and the working class.”

Feel free to make “internalized misogyny woman” or anything else you like. Unfortunately because the image is of a white man

In the grand tradition of this meme, perhaps a random animal should have been used (“Privilege Denying Penguin” or whatever) instead of a human image- like Advice Dog, Disgusting Bachelor Frog, etc., so that the penguin could have been used to represent anyone making these fallacious arguments, rather than it being limited by gender and race.

I don’t see how it is harmful to reduce common discredited phrases that most feminists/anti-racists/GLBT activists can recognize and at 50 paces into these memes, because that’s what we are already doing with things like Bingo cards. There are complex arguments like some of Hoff Summers’s, and there are simple overused fallacies like the ones represented in these memes. And they do have an actual use, which is so that productive discussions don’t get derailed by people bringing up these “arguments”. Sometimes it is a good thing to dismiss someone saying something dumb out of hand rather than derail an interesting post by pandering to them.

“In real life, the people who really hate women have either had a really bad experience with them, or were brainwashed as a kid (usually by a father who had a bad experience). Every woman hater I’ve known was, undearneath it all, a woman-fearer.”

Now you are contradicting yourself- you said above that misogny comes from all kinds of people, and now that the only true misogyny comes from bonafide “woman haters”. The purpose of the these memes is not to dehumanize people who display misogyny/racism/homophobia. We all have unexamined privilege and occasionally do these things. It’s to lampshade how ridiculous certain arguments are. Bingo cards and other memes like this have helped me, in the past, understand how some of the things I’ve said have been discredited before, and aren’t shiny new logical critiques.

I wasn’t offended when I recognised something I’d said then, and I am not going to look at every white man I see and think “a privilege denying dude!” because of this meme now.

• Posted November 19, 2010 at 4:53 am | Permalink

Ugh, sorry I didn’t complete my second sentence: “Unfortunately, because the image is of a white man, it can’t be used to make fun of oppressive arguments that come from people who aren’t white and male, but there are a few examples on the tumblr that show he’s not exactly the straight, white, cisgendered, upper-class able-bodied male stereotype; some of them portray him as a gay or trans man who doesn’t understand he still has some privilege, for instance.!

• Posted November 19, 2010 at 8:21 am | Permalink

You have a good and carefully thought out point.

On the other hand, sometimes people just need to blow off tension and laugh at jerks instead of exploding into fury some time down the line. It’s not like this is a regular Feministing feature, after all?

• Posted November 19, 2010 at 11:34 am | Permalink

If you actually read the ltext under the pic-Privlidge denying dude seems more a representation of the partriarchy and who it favours which is white middle class caucasian western males. the character is not just mysogynist, the meme covers all the “isms” like racism etc that the patriarchy has tried to pretend does not exist. so i think the white looking dude is apt.

• Posted November 19, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

It’s “dehumanizing” arguments that really aren’t worth the compliment of rational opposition. I have very little problem with this.

2. Posted November 18, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

For I have known them all already, known them all:—

3. Posted November 18, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

I don’t need a special Tumblr of this joker when I can find 20+ of him on any given message board, blog post with a comments section, or gender/race based Twitter topic!

But the smug yuppie image to accompany it is priceless, I’ll give it that!