Yankees fans taunt Red Sox fans with homophobic chant

Trigger warning: This video contains footage of homophobic bullying and will make you dislike Yankees fans even more than you might already.

From Sociological Images, here is video footage of Yankees fans taunting Red Sox fans with a homophobic chant, ironically (unintentional, I’m sure) set to the tune of “YMCA” by the Village People. The new lyrics went a little something like this:

Why are you gay!
I saw you suckin’ it, D-I-C-K.
They have every size, you’re about to enjoy.
You can hang out with all the boys!
Why are you gay!
I saw you suckin’ some D-I-C-K.

Seriously, dudes? You’re sitting with a bunch of men, watching a bunch of other men get sweaty and dirty, getting excited and yelling and hugging your brodudebuds when your team is on top. Sounds like a recipe for a case of insecure masculinity. You know what’ll make you look and feel really manly, though? Calling someone else a faggot. It makes you feel good and it never, ever has negative consequences.

Lisa at Sociological Images puts it beautifully when she concludes:  “This is what it’s like to be a man under patriarchy: moments of inhumanity in which men accept and reproduce hatred against others and moments of victimization when other men aim that hatred at you.”

1. Posted October 28, 2010 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Lifelong Yankees fan here. This is very disappointing but not altogether surprising. But please don’t blame one team of one sport. This is pervasive throughout the sports world. Going to a professional sports game (which is too expensive for most people) is really not an attractive option due to this type of behavior. It is usually not a safe place for anyone who isn’t a hetero, cis-gendered, abled male. The players, management, journalists, and everyone who cares about sports needs to speak up against this type of behavior. Even if they don’t care for ethical reasons, it would make good business sense to make professional sports into something that is more welcoming for all people. That said, it is also good to support the “un-professional” sports teams out there where this type of bigotry seems to be less rampant.

Not to derail the thread, but I am also a huge hockey fan, but all during my teenager years numerous male fans at games would “insult” players on the ice by screaming, “You play like a girl!” To which my friend and fellow female hockey fan would retort, “That’s a compliment!”

• Posted October 28, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

As a huge sports fan, I just want to respond to a couple of points in this comment. I agree that it would be a mistake to paint the fans of one team in a single sport as a unique problem. Certainly it is also true that there is a very pervasive culture of exaggerated, even sometimes pathological, masculinity attached to professional sports.

However, some places are much, much worse to watch a game than others for folks who don’t fit in to this paradigm. Yankee stadium is one of those places. Fenway is another.

Anecdotally , I’ve never seen this kind of behavior at Dodgers stadium and I know that the organization is doing their best to keep things that way. Same with the Carolina Panthers.

I guess my point is this: It would be fantastic to change the culture of American professional sports (or at least a vocal and hurtful subsection of it) but that is a rather vague goal. On the other hand, the vast majority of people who attend games don’t want to witness a scene like the one on this video – regardless of their political persuasion, their beliefs regarding homosexuality, their awareness or lack thereof about gender policing. It is good business for stadiums to do what the Dodgers have done: There is a number that anyone in the stadium can call from their cell phone to report abusive, violent or disruptive fan behavior. Security takes these calls seriously and warns and then removes unruly (usually drunk) fans.
      This is less ideal than educating drunk twenty-something bros about their hurtful words, but it is a practical solution to the kind of harassment shown here.

• Posted October 28, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

That’s really cool about the Dodgers. I think that’s an excellent idea. I hope that both Yankee and Shea stadiums (among others) implement something like that. If they already do have something like that then they need to publicize it more, because I have attended games in both stadiums within the last year and never knew of anything I could do to deal with obnoxious fans.

And we miss the Dodgers in Brooklyn! :)

2. Posted October 28, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

What this group of men are doing is obviously homophobic and wrong. I personally think it’s despicable to personally attack fans of opposing teams – and this is coming from a Red Sox fan! I am in no way judging these men for being Yankees fans – I’m sure similar behavior goes on among fans of most major sports teams. I think it’s immature, childish, and inappropriate to treat anyone with such disrespect on the basis of their sports team preference. Seriously? Watch the game and cheer on your team, don’t attack spectators! I’d love for the league to speak out against this kind of behavior – maybe if men’s sports teams, often seen as the epitome of manliness, speak out against homophobia, they can reach their fans. It’s worth a shot.

3. Posted October 28, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Banter among fans is common, and if you’re with a visiting team, you can expect to get heckled a bit. But this is too much. It’s no secret that Yankees fans can be pretty douchey (as can Phillies “phans”, notably when some guy gagged himself and threw up on a little girl and her father because they were cheering for the other team). I can imagine that there are some kinds of stadium rules about harassing other fans, at the very least because it could easily get physical. Hopefully security will be a bit more vigilant now that this video is making the rounds.

4. Posted October 28, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Since they’re generally such homophobes, why is it that every time I’d pass by a tv showing a sports event, or be stuck in a bar with it on, all the jocks invariably begin stomping their feet along with “We Will Rock You” by Queen, and then they turn around and yell stuff like this?

5. Posted October 28, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

It seems like there’s a cultural acceptance of this sort of behavior based on city or region. Where I’m from, in Alabama, conduct like this can be found, but it is considered low class and offensive. Southerners are often highly critical of rude, obnoxious Yankees because of things like this. When I was a child into my teens I routinely attended Alabama football home games, and while I certainly heard jeers, profanity, and objectionable talk, it never degenerated into anything quite this awful.