I am literally twiddling my f*&%ing thumbs

by John Waters, from jameswagner.com

November 2nd is fast approaching, and early voting is already available in a bunch of states. So I have a question for you: What’s your fucking excuse for not voting?

You know that enthusiasm gap you’ve been hearing so much about? Don’t fall into it! And if you’re in a state with an candidate on the ballot who believes that a woman who gets pregnant as the result of rape or incest should be forced to carry that pregnancy to term – I’m looking at you, Kentucky, Arizona, Colorado – well, you know what to do.

Twiddling your thumbs is not an acceptable excuse. Also unacceptable: “I’m fucking looking at paparazzi photos of Kim Kardashian’s cellulite” and “I’m getting a fucking ill-advised tattoo.”

You can find a complete list of totally unacceptable excuses for not voting, learn where your nearest polling place is, and figure out whether or not you’re even fucking registered to vote, at this totally NSFW site.

1. Posted October 26, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Or in Georgia where Nathan Deal, the rape shield law-attacking misogynist himself wants to be Governor.

2. Posted October 26, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

Kentuckian here. I’m a sometimes clinic escort, and sometimes blogger. I generally am in some sort of agreement w/ the posts on Feministing, but I really don’t being guilted into voting for someone. I wanted to vote for Conway and was excited when he announced his campaign. I’ve grown more and more disappointed with him since. Quite obviously I will not vote for St. Paul II, but I won’t guarantee that means that I will vote for Conway. Only very recently has Conway shown any sort of interest in courting the “women’s vote,” and I don’t like my repro. rights being used as an afterthought bargaining chip.

3. Posted October 26, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

Too young! And although I’m an anarchist who does not believe that voting democrat will save the world, I do believe we must work with the world as it is in order to turn it into what we want it to be. Voting is one way to do that. However I’d rather vote for a third party candidate despite their odds of winning (zero percent) than give more power to the two-party system.

4. Posted October 27, 2010 at 9:06 am | Permalink

I’m not so sure this is the best site for people who don’t know much about the candidates.

Yesterday, I saw that the anti-choice Republican candidate running against the pro-choice Democratic incumbent in my district was listed as pro-choice. I did contact the site to ask them about this – they contacted his campaign, which said they’d made a mistake and did not mean to check pro-choice. Project Vote Smart now shows him as “inferred” instead of “official,” but still pro-choice. I would argue that when your campaign website states that you support a human life begins at conception amendment to the constitution, and you are endorsed by Texas Right to Life, you can pretty safely say it is official that a candidate is NOT pro-choice.

I looked at some other congresssional races around the country in which I’m familiar with the position of candidates, and others, like Charlie Bass in NH who has a 30% rating form NARAL (which makes him pro-life – according to Project Vote Smart’s own info) is still an “inferred pro-choice” candidate. He is running against a Democratic woman endorsed by Emily’s List – i.e. someone who is clearly pro-choice. But because she didn’t answer the questionnaire from Vote Smart, she, too, is simply “inferred pro-choice.”

The questions on their survey are odd, too, phrased so that pro-choice people would end up answering NO, but a NO would mean they are more pro-choice.

I’m not going to recommend this resource, even though at first I loved it for the punchy & easy design.

5. Posted October 27, 2010 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Voting is a civic duty. It’s not a fun thing to do, but it is a way for each of us to send a message of who we want to represent us. If you are a progressive disaffected by some of the Democrats, then by all means vote for the Green Party candidate or whoever you think is more qualified (do a write-in if you have to) instead of those Democrats, but let the voting records show that discontent, and support the ones that you think will serve (or have served) you well.

6. Posted October 27, 2010 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Every candidate that I could vote for gets campaign funding from right-wing “family-oriented” groups. Even the democrats. Gotta love the dirty south.

7. Posted October 27, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

I feel your pain Sadie. I live in Mississippi and there is literally not a single candidate in my congressional district I feel comfortable voting for. The Republican voted against women in the military being able to obtain abortions overseas with their own money. The Democrat/Incumbent voted to criminally penalize abortion doctors. The third party’s stances on other issues are just too crazy for me to want to vote for them. I’m moderately pro-life (I support programs to prevent unwanted pregnancies/help moms and do not support repealing Roe v. Wade/denying medical care to women who need it) so abortion isn’t usually a huge issue for me, but it is when these idiots want to make things worse. My husband and I decided to do a write-in vote for one of our friends. We don’t expect our friend to win (I don’t think he’s old enough to be eligible anyway), but we figure that by taking votes away from the candidates in question we can make our point.

8. Posted October 27, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Living in Colorado and working to beat Ken Buck, I’m totally on board with you!
    Even made this fun video to help motivate women to vote….and save sex in Colorado!
    Love some help getting it shared around.