Conservative columnist whines about “bullying” of homophobic Christians by gay activists

Thanks to Shakesville, I ended up reading this article called “Eight Straight Suicides” by conservative writer Mike Adams at Townhall. I kind of wish I hadn’t. Adams begins:

“Officials on college campuses across the nation are alarmed at a wave of recent suicides involving Christians who have been harassed by homosexual activists. The main stream media isn’t covering the story so, as usual, I have taken it upon myself to do their jobs for them.”

He mentions a community college student who was shouted at for giving a speech about the impact of Jesus Christ in his life that cited the traditional Biblical definition of marriage. An administrator who was fired after writing an article letting “homosexuals know that there are ways to escape the lifestyle that ends their lives prematurely.” A counseling student who was expelled after refusing to help a gay client because of “her beliefs about homosexuality.”

The list goes on. And apparently all these homophobic Christians felt so attacked for their beliefs that they committed suicide…except—SURPRISE—not really! It turns out Adams was just kidding about that last part to make some sort of stupid, offensive point. (In fact, these folks are actually doing just fine.) Adams concludes:

“These eight cases are all true except for one thing: The Christians who were bullied by gays and gay activists are all still alive. Not a single one has committed suicide. That is because they have centered their lives around Jesus Christ, rather than their sexual identity. And no amount of bullying can change my mind about that.”

It’s amazing that such a short paragraph can pack such a hateful punch.

First, it takes a special kind of monster to suggest, in the wake of so many tragic suicides by LGBT youth, that these kids ended their lives because they were weak—unlike their Christian counterparts who, as Melissa says, are apparently “inherently better people, stronger, blessed.”

Second, it’s incredible that Adams implies these LGBT youth have been driven to suicide because they “centered their lives around…their sexual identity.” As if it isn’t the gay bashers and bullies who obsess over other people’s sexual orientation, who are so weirdly preoccupied with policing sexuality, who harass not only the kids who are gay but also the ones who seem gay. It’s people like Mike Adams—folks whose lives seem to be centered not around Jesus Christ or around their own sexuality but around the sexuality of others—who robbed 13-year-olds like Asher Brown and Seth Walsh of the chance to grow up and explore their identities–sexual and otherwise–themselves.

Finally, equating the so-called “bullying” that homophobic, straight, Christians sometimes experience when they say ignorant shit and other people tell them to shut up with the bullying that LGBT kids face every day in this homophobic culture because of who they are is just laughable. Sure, homophobes get to voice their views, but that doesn’t mean they have a right to have those views respected. And it certainly doesn’t mean there’s some moral equivalence between the pain of being harassed, bullied, and shamed by bigots and the pain of being called a bigot. Cry me a fucking river, Mike Adams.

And now if you need some cheering up (I know I do) go watch President Obama’s “It Gets Better” message.

1. Posted October 22, 2010 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Ugh. I’m not sure where to begin. First, these hateful comments assume that somehow homosexuality or being LGBT is a religion in and of itself, and some kind of idol worship. It’s not. It’s who a person is, period. It doesn’t seek to displace faith, as this argument believes that it does. Nor do I see see Christians being killed for being Christians, except maybe in other parts of the world.

Second, it presumes that belief in Jesus Christ is the only way by which a person can be fully whole and satisfied. I believe what I do, but I’d never insist the same for anyone else. It isn’t just weakness that is being implied here, it’s a lack of genuine belief and trust in a divine plan. I believe that we should trust and believe, too, but being LGBT is not a deficit of belief. You can’t just pray it away, nor should you even try.

Belief should not be used a means of shaming other people for not adhering to your own short-sighted views about religion. Read the Bible if you wish, and see how many interpretations and paradoxes exist in the words themselves. You may not be so sure of what you think it means after all.

2. Posted October 22, 2010 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Oh joy… so i’m *still* not Christian enough! Newsflash, even people who do have Jesus can be suicidal– we’re not immune to problems. /sigh

On another note, could we please stop calling it “bullying” and call it for what it is: harassment and assault.

3. Posted October 22, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Man, as frustrating as the Obama administration can be sometimes, that’s a pretty great video. When I think about all the Republican bullshit that Obama is continuing and enabling – when I’m starting to despair – I’m reminded that no Republican could or would ever could or would record that message. It’s just not who they are. Got just a little bit of that ‘hope’ stuff back that I remember from 2008, watching that. The whole ‘It Gets Better’ campaign is awesome, and I love that Obama has personally gotten on board.

4. Posted October 22, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Mike Adams’ comment isn’t homophobic. It’s heterosexist, which — in my view — is even worse, because he believes those “Christians” who suffered abuse are better than the gay teens who killed themselves because: 1) they’re straight, and 2) they’re “Christians”.

Meanwhile, what is “Christian” about bullying and abuse? Nothing. What is “Christian” about tolerating bullying and abuse? Nothing.

5. Posted October 22, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

This is just despicable. I’m a religious person, and this is exactly why I don’t attend any local churches, I can’t find one where I feel safe with a fellowship of love and a lack of judgment for others. It makes me really sad to see people be so hateful while claiming a moral superiority. This drips of the privilege this guy has to actually imply that these people are being harassed on the same level of LGBTQ teenagers, to just mock these suicides is so cruel and disgusting. The people who are activists for equality and ending the harassment that lead to these suicides are painted as if they are just attempting to oppress religion. Will they ever see the hate they dish out and the pain they cause? Will they ever see how wrong they are? Not even the deaths of young people cause them to step back. And what about gay people who are religious, would they be immune to suicide in his opinion? Well, he probably doesn’t believe religious LGBTQ people even exist.

6. Posted October 22, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

This reminds me of when right-wingers tried to play the “tolerance” card when you call them out on their shit like “WAAAH! You’re not tolerating my intolerance!” Um, you’re right. I’m not. No free rides here.

7. Posted October 22, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

Mike Adams wasn’t “whining” about anything.

He was baiting people like yourselves.

And by giving him the attention he desires you have handed him a victory.

8. Posted October 31, 2010 at 1:34 am | Permalink

I have launched a new website that is designed to stop bullying and abuse.

http://www.haltnow.ca/ – Humanity Against Local Terrorism – HALT.

The more of our voices that say HALT; the more of our children we can save. This new website offers education, prevention, support and services to abused and bullied victims as well as hopefully finding a solution to stop this local terrorism of bullying, abuse and domestic violence within our communities. Please help us stop these senseless acts. Please take time to visit this site, become a member and add your voice.

9. Posted November 1, 2010 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Article such as these can be frustrating.
    As a Christian Feminist, I also receive a lot of lovely intolerance, as I find that some individuals assume that because I identify as Christian, I am homophobic, that I am asexual, that I am against equality. None of these things are true – in fact, quite the opposite.

Christians are prejudiced against too.

In this article you prejudice against Christians as an entire group by making a few generalizations.
    And isn’t that what Feminists strive against? Aren’t we for open-mindedness, respect, and sensitivity? Aren’t we against generalizations, bigotry, and unfair systemic social and cultural stereotypes and assumptions?