File This Under: Seriously Messed Up

For $15, you too can “take a stand against monotonous travel” by making a joke about having a woman gagged and bound and stuffed into your suitcase. Funny! Except, it’s really, really not.

:-/

h/t to Ann.

via.

1. Posted July 27, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

I am so F–KING tired of them always using women and girls as victims of violence for advertising. It’s never OK, acceptable or funny. Get a clue, advertisers (aka: MORONS).

2. Posted July 27, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

How could anyone possibly think it’s a good idea to make an ad like this?

Sexism is often not so overt in our culture: it’s the fact that no one thinks twice at using a woman’s body to sell a product or as a prop that shows how sexism still pervades our society. The advertising industry seems to be one of the most obvious in terms of sexism.

3. Posted July 27, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

This is awful. The stickers are a cute idea (I guess, though I don’t know if airport security would find them very funny) but that sticker is horrendous. She’s crying, she has smeared makeup…this is disgusting. But hey, women are just “commodities,” like money, drugs and sex toys.

• Posted July 27, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Suitcase stickers could be a good idea. But the only one of those I would even consider buying would be the money one. I can’t imagine seeing someone carrying that around…
      Are they genuinely for sale? I feel like it has to be a joke. A rather tasteless, unfunny joke but you know…

4. Posted July 27, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

This is genuinely disturbing. The image and the fact that this was seen as a legitimate marketing idea.

5. Posted July 27, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Why don’t they try to make their travel more interesting by sticking a picture of a black man in chains on the suitcase? Or, starved looking person, wearing striped pajamas, with serious skin burns?
    I guess it would offend people who identigy themselves with them, right? Nobody wants that.
    God, I’m sad.

6. Posted July 27, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

I wish I was more disgusted, but I’m honestly not surprised. While I do find it horrifying, I’m almost used to it by now. How people even find this funny or OK is disturbing.

7. Posted July 27, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

I sent the website “the cheeky” that is selling this product an e-mail.
    “To whom it may concern:
    I find the “suitcase sticker” being sold on your website depicting a woman stuffed into a suitcase absolutely disgusting. I cannot understand how this is in any way funny or appropriate. Real world instances of human traffickng, often involving women, certainly are not. The woman’s smeared makeup, tearful expression, and bound wrists seem all too realistic and frankly make me sick to my stomach.
    I would appreciate if you were to reconsider selling this product. I cannot fathom how “taking a stand against monotonous travel” is worth taking a stand against women’s safety and well-being.
    Thank you for your time.
    Alicia”

I hope that maybe it will make a difference. If not at least they know people are angry about it!
    The e-mail address is info@thecheeky.com.

8. Posted July 27, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

That shit’s fucked up.

9. Posted July 30, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

I sent one, too:

Dear staff of The Cheeky,

Rape and human trafficking are real, not a joke. While I like the idea of your product, I do not like its execution. The sex-toy sticker is hilarious. The bound woman is not. One in three women will be sexually assaulted. That’s a huge chunk of people who won’t be buying your product, not to mention the fact that you’re doing quite a bit of damage to your company’s image, unless violence against women is part of your image. I thought it was about selling fun novelty items, but I could be wrong.

You have every legal right to sell and market this product, and I am not making any demands. I just want you to understand my point of view, and I hope that it will influence future decisions about the products that you market.

Regards,