Quick Hit: French Parliament approves burqa ban

Via Salon.
RELATED:
Sarkozy supports burqa ban
Designers in Paris Veil Models in Protest of Proposed Burka Ban.
Breaking News: France imposes a fine on full-face Islamic veils in public

1. gothicguera
    Posted July 14, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

So much for Liberté, égalité, fraternité, eh?

2. Gina
    Posted July 14, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

I can’t wait to hear what the European Court of Human Rights has to say about this – it’s pretty hard to justify such a general ban on an expression of religious beliefs.

3. Comrade Kevin
    Posted July 14, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

I’m not surprised a bit. In an effort to preserve something distinct to a culture, historically lots of liberties have been infringed upon, and sometimes that which was being preserved was offensive in and of itself.

4. Tiffanie
    Posted July 14, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Does anyone have any statistics that discuss the prevalence of the Burqa in France?
    I’m only wondering because I live in a community, in the US, with a large Muslim presence and I’ve never seen one. I’ve seen very few niqabs. The Khimar and Hijab are much, much more prevalent.
    It has no bearing on the scope of the debate at hand I’m just wondering how wide the impact will be.

5. Xeginy
    Posted July 14, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

I can’t see where any good can come of this. At the very least, won’t it do nothing but prevent women who do wear a veil from leaving their houses? Cause I’m pretty sure a French law isn’t going to change Islamic culture.

6. daveNYC
    Posted July 14, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

I’m sorry, I don’t get your point. Are you saying the burqa is offensive, or that France is attempting to preserve their culture which has led to infringing on Muslim women’s rights?
    Personally, I don’t see much behind this other than ‘oh noes, teh brown peoples is scary’.

7. dzuunmod
    Posted July 14, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

The reports I’ve read have suggested that around 2,000 women will be affected.