What We Missed: “Real” beauty, c-sections and discrimination

Dove’s casting call for their “Real Beauty” ads calls for women with “flawless skin” who are “not too curvy.” Charming.
Speaking of real beauty, Nominate a “beautiful girl” at New Moon.
From Christine at Our Bodies, Ourselves: The Rising Rate of C-Sections Exemplifies What’s Wrong With U.S. Healthcare
Wisconsin appeals court says gay parents do not have equal rights.

1. Toongrrl
    Posted June 28, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Waaaaiiiittt….what’s “too curvy?”

2. Surfin3rdWave
    Posted June 28, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

The “real beauty” Craigslist ad is an obvious fake. I really doubt that Dove would look for models on Craigslist and then ask people to send photos to a gmail address.

3. anon
    Posted June 28, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

Ugh. THe c-section article makes me CRAZY!!! As a new mom, surrounded by other new moms, it’s something I hear and talk about often. It’s the sort of thing that once you are around this issue often, you start to realize the permeating problem it presents.
    My OB is also a good friend of mine and her csection rate is around 15% (about 1/2 of the average national rate) and shockingly enough, she also handles a TON of high risk patients. In other words, she really only does them when they are medically necessary.
    There is a doc in my town that everyone knows will give ANYONE a csection for ANY reason. A casual acquaintence of mine admits she demanded a c-section in her 37th week of pregnancy because (1) she didn’t want to stretch her girl parts and (2) she didn’t want to get as fat as her other friends did in their last month of pregnancy. And “Dr CSection” was happy to step up, charge her $20K and do it for her. (Never mind the early delivery was a risk to the baby, the surgery a risk to mom, etc.)
    It’s a cultural problem, it’s a medicine problem, it’s a feminist problem, it’s a legal problem and it’s a problem that as women we need to address head on.

4. syndella
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 12:02 am | Permalink

Yeah, how dare a woman making her own decisions regarding giving birth.
    I just don’t understand why people around here only value women’s choices when they make the “right” ones.

5. Surfin3rdWave
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 12:37 am | Permalink

It is interesting to look at C-sections from a feminist perspective. Many women plan C-sections because they perceive it as easier (the recovery is actually much more difficult) or because they have fears regarding vaginal birth.
    Unnecessary C-sections are harmful to the health of the mother and the baby, but is it fair to draw the line on a mother’s right to choose? Can she rightfully choose an unnecessary C-section because she has a phobia of vaginal birth? Because she doesn’t want her vagina to be stretched? Because she wants to be asleep so she doesn’t have to “work” at giving birth?
    It’s a tough question, and I don’t know the answer to it.

6. dark_morgaine
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 1:20 am | Permalink

Now that you say it, I think you’re right. It’s probably some teenage guy like you’d find on Omegle and the like, who just wants to ogle pictures of “hott” girls. Since when do major companies use Craigslist? Maybe they do, but somehow, I think this is the sort of thing that would be posted on their own website.

7. katemoore
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 6:47 am | Permalink

I don’t think it’s fake, actually. If Dove is looking for non-models, what are they going to do — go through a professional?
    And from commenter Moretta at Jezebel: “The gmail address is urbanproddovecasting. I did a little research and there is an Urban Productions casting agency in New York that lists Dove as one of its clients.”

8. genericjanedoe
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 10:04 am | Permalink

It definitely *could* be a fake, but the email address isn’t the end all be all of the discussion. My husband works inn local film and the email addresses on postings can often seem super fishy for legit projects. They create email addresses for just the 1 time call out purpose, as to not have their personal email addressed inundated.

9. Jack
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Well, what if the doctor didn’t perform the surgery? How many times have we made the argument that a woman should be entitled to decisions over her own body? You don’t get to change your mind about that just because you think her reasoning may be shallow and silly. If she’s aware of the risk, it’s her choice.

10. intense-kinetic
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

I know we are always concerned about giving women choices when it comes to all aspects of their health. But “choice” is not actually a choice when it is not fully informed.
    Personally I can’t imagine many choosing a c-section at 37 weeks are actually fully informed. The extra risk to the baby alone is ridiculous. How many would honestly state, “Yes I would like to double my child’s chances of ending up in the NICU for my own convenience.”
    Add to that fact that so many “elective” c-sections are not actually elective at all. If you end up having a medically indicated c-section good luck trying to find an ob who will even let you attempt to have a vaginal birth. “Had a c-section? Obviously you suck at giving birth; let’s just sign you up for another one.”
    Unfortunately “informed” is not a word I would use when it comes to giving birth these days.

11. Honeybee
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Exactly! I find the outrage strange, since it’s completely contradictory with pretty much all feminist positions.
    Usually we are on here railing against doctors for refusing to perform procedures that women want. Seems strange to now chide them for agreeing to do a procedure that a woman requests and consents to.

12. Suffering Sappho
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

If a woman wants a c-section, even if you think the reasons are silly, she should be able to make that choice herself. My high school biology teacher wasted an entire day telling us that mommies that REALLY love their babies will have a natural birth without any painkillers. Because, as she explained, women who use drugs and surgery are horrible selfish people who don’t really love their babies. I’m all for being informed about your options, but I can’t stand the “I’m a better mommy because I made sure it hurt like hell” stance. I even see it on TV, if they want a pregnant woman to appear selfish they say she wants to plan the birth as a c-section. THE HORROR. Instead of shaming women who choose a c-section, maybe we should address the causes of the things they fear: stop devaluing women who have stretched out vaginas, stop devaluing women who aren’t thin supermodels, stop using labor pains as a cheap joke about unbearable pain on sitcoms.

13. Suffering Sappho
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

I should also probably mention that my Grandmother was one of the first women in our county to get a c-section (she had to go through over 70 hours of labor before they finally did it), and afterwards a nun (it was a Catholic hospital) chided her for not being a good enough mother to give birth properly. My mother also needed a c-section, and it’s likely if I ever get pregnant I will need one too. I’d rather not be judged for it.

14. Brianna G
    Posted June 29, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

Oh, that’s lovely. “I can’t imagine that I would have made the same decision as another woman despite not knowing anything about her unique situation and the psychological problems she may have had that rendered vaginal birth terrifying! Thus, because I assume that I would decide one way and I must be 100% correct, let’s make it harder for women to get C-sections and punish doctors who actually listen to their patients!”
    Can’t we ban these misogynist pricks already?

15. Emily H.
    Posted July 2, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

As far as I know, there’s such a thing as “character models” that get work in ads & such as “likeable,” regular people. They’re valued for being memorable and interesting-looking rather than model-perfect. I don’t know too much about this but I’m sure there are agencies a company can go to to find “regular people” models.