What We Missed

An Algerian soccer player slapped a female reporter (who responded by hitting him back) after losing to the USA.
The Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund set a new record by endorsing 123 openly gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender candidates for public office in 2010.
Lousiana Senator David Vitter’s aide assigned to oversee women’s issues has pleaded guilty to domestic violence charges from 2008 that included threatening to kill his girlfriend.

1. Brittany
    Posted June 23, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Is it wrong that I cheered when I read that she struck him back? I was hoping reading the article that she didn’t recoil and hold her face.
    What a piece of shit.

2. sorcha
    Posted June 23, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

I was going to ask the same thing because, esp. after reading the story, my response was, “Damn right she hit his ass back!” And her nail caught his lip.

3. kandela
    Posted June 23, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

Agreed. But how is a public assault a feminist story? Because it was initiated by a man striking a woman? Or because she hit him back? What is the feminist angle?

4. kandela
    Posted June 23, 2010 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

In other news, Australia has its first female Prime Minister: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/24/2935500.htm?section=justin

5. Mike Crichton
    Posted June 23, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

I wondered that too. There’s absolutely no indication from the article that the assault was motivated by sex. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t, but why do we assume it was?

6. sorcha
    Posted June 24, 2010 at 8:24 am | Permalink

It’s possible that I am getting burned out from my job or watching the news but it is a pleasant change to read a story about violence against a woman that doesn’t end with, “Police are still looking for the body.”

7. IAmGopherrr
    Posted June 24, 2010 at 11:32 am | Permalink

How about because she gave what she got in self defense. She didnt allow him to think he could do that withoutgetting something back for it! Seriously, you didnt get it?

8. konkonsn
    Posted June 25, 2010 at 1:51 am | Permalink

Does someone need to shout a racist slur during a crime for us to understand the crime is motivated by racism?
    I feel like this is Feminism 101…

9. kandela
    Posted June 26, 2010 at 6:12 am | Permalink

Are you saying the crime was racially motivated? I didn’t get any indication of that in the story.