Thank You Thursdays: Father’s day edition

Thank you for resigning from the male-only business club in town when I was just a little girl. I remember reading your resignation letter and feeling very special when you mentioned that you wouldn’t be a part of an institution that would one day accept your son, but not your daughter.
Thank you for braiding my hair before I went to bed every night so it wouldn’t get snarly.
Thank you for having the loudest laugh in the universe.
Thank you for telling me the truth about your childhood and our family legacy of mental illness.
Thank you for bravely going to therapy and dealing with your shit so you could be an amazing father.
Thank you for all of our long talks about Buddhism, suffering, and liberation.
Thank you for convincing Jere that she’d be an incredible mom, which she is.
Thank you for teaching me about goal-setting and financial literacy from the time I was very young.
Thank you for modeling non-toxic masculinity for my brother all of these years. He turned out awesome, didn’t he?
Thank you for exaggerating whenever you tell people about me, even if it’s totally embarrassing.
Thank you for raising me with the expectation of absolute respect and brave vulnerability and honesty within my relationships with men.
Thank you for being my pops.

1. Sara B
    Posted June 17, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Awwwww…

2. M Dubz
    Posted June 17, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

This was the sweetest thing.

3. Marc
    Posted June 17, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

How wonderful a tribute that is to your father.
    My father never claimed feminism. In fact, he is quite conservative. But as a father, his two greatest contributions to my life is that he never raised a hand at my mother, and he worked two jobs to give all three of his kids – including my two sisters – the opportunity for education and everything else, regardless of their gender.
    My dad lived – and still does, his gender equality. He didn’t need to scream it. And I observed and learned.

4. NoJoy
    Posted June 17, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Wow. I hope my daughters someday say something that sweet about me.

5. Toongrrl
    Posted June 17, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

That’s beautiful Courtney

6. Comrade Kevin
    Posted June 17, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

You have spoken fondly about your father many times before. I must say I envy the close-knit relationship the two of you share.
    My father I think wanted a son he could understand and I wasn’t exactly that. Though we fought like cats and dogs for years, it is his already declining health that has ushered in a spirit of live and let live never present before.
    When he dies, which will be much sooner than I’d like to think about, I will mourn and forget the bickering.

7. Krystie
    Posted June 17, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

I’d love to meet this Ron someday–sounds like a fantastic chap.

8. Siu
    Posted June 17, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Thanks for posting this, Courtney – and while things have been tense here and there between my father and I, he’s still my Dad and I can’t wait to see him on Father’s Day.
    Kevin, I, too, envy her relationship! My father also wanted a son – he believed that a son would carry his name on, understand him and follow in his steps “as a man.” Ironically, he ended up with a daughter who possessed qualities he wanted in a son, which strained our relationship greatly. Nonetheless, it scares me to think of him not being there one day..

9. Av0gadro
    Posted June 17, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

I was talking to my own newborn daughter today, babbling endearments the way parent do, and thinking not genderizing her too much and the ways it would be harder with her than with my son.
    And it occurred to me that my own late father never once, in all the years I had him, called me Princess. And I’m really, really grateful for that.

10. Tabs
    Posted June 18, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

This is wonderful. I have goosebumps and I’m not even your dad.
    Thanks for this.