Weekly Feminist Reader

A documentary about violence against Native women.
Alaska Gov. Sean Parnell vetoed a children and women’s health care bill because it includes funding for abortion — and Alaskans aren’t happy.
The US State Department changed its passport rules for transgender travelers.
A high-school senior shows how absurd Seventeen magazine’s advice is by attempting to follow it for one month.
Remebering artist Louise Bourgeois.
How online collective action got a sexist billboard taken down.
A ‘zine on women who aren’t married and don’t want to be.
What have you been reading/writing this week?

1. RMJ
    Posted June 13, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

This week at Deeply Problematic: Recently ordained trans rabbi Reuben Zellman. The danger and promise of first person in feminist discourse. A sexist ad for a beer/wine festival in my area. Positive portrayals of women with disabilities in the webcomic Questionable Content.

2. EvilSlutClique
    Posted June 13, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

This week in Evil Slutopia:
    We discovered a great way to legitimately hate Twilight without actually having to read it…
    Alex Reads Twilight So We Don’t Have To:
    We apologized to our readers for never writing about vajazzling…
    Alas, we have failed you:
    In anticipation of the True Blood season premiere…
    We took a look a some of our favorite
    Vampire Love Triangles:
    …and gave tips on How to Kill a Vampire:

3. IAmGopherrr
    Posted June 13, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

It says alot about the antis when governors dont think women should be able to have life/health saving abortions paid for by taxes. He chose a blastocyst over actual children and women.

4. MLEmac28
    Posted June 13, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

According to the blog for the high school student following the advice of Seventeen, she’s doing it for a month, not a year.

5. gwye
    Posted June 13, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

An interesting, if misleading, article about gender roles and parenting.
    This article claims that “there’s nothing objectively essential” about a father’s contribution. A better (but less provocative) way to say this is that fathers don’t have some magic manly touch that all kids need. However, men can still make important contributions to child rearing, especially if they are willing to embrace “women’s work”.

6. Courtney S.
    Posted June 13, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Permalink
  7. Comrade Kevin
    Posted June 13, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

Though I wrote this within a religious/spiritual context, I recognize now that it has application beyond my original intent.
    Query to the Faithful

8. Brittany-Ann
    Posted June 13, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

Period A post about periods. It’s a series of statements about having a menstrual cycle. (Potentially NSFW)
    How to be a feminist, generally good roommate.
    Don’t forget to follow me on Twitter!

9. Anonymous
    Posted June 13, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

The meaning of Debrahlee Lorenzana vs The Beauty Bias: “Ugly”? You’re fired. Too “hot”? You’re fired. Not you, sir: her over there.
    Don’t assume/how could you not know, in which you can’t possibly think you’re all that, but you should have known what he was thinking.
    Being a reward is not so rewarding: Women as the opiate of manhood

10. MandyV
    Posted June 13, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Permalink
  11. MandyV
    Posted June 13, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

The makers of The Killer Inside Me know their anti-hero is a personality void, so they accentuate violence, like real misogynists. This can’t hide the littleness of the man, or how empty the movie is.
    In Click: When We Knew We Were Feminists, editors Courtney E. Martin and J. Courtney Sullivan present twenty-nine essays by young feminists from all walks of life with the intention “to collage together a picture of contemporary young feminists…to discover what it is that still brings a diversity of young people to try on the feminist label despite the obvious risks.” The collection they’ve compiled is inspiring, insightful, and funny in all the right places, and I had to resist the urge to shout, “Preach on!” as I read it.
    I went to the launch event for Catherine Redfern and Kristin Aune’s book Reclaiming the F Word at The University Women’s Club…I discovered it is a private members club in Mayfair, and perhaps an unusual place to host a gathering of rowdy young feminists! Slightly pleased I’d worn a nice frock for the occasion, I set off from work to catch the tube to Green Park and finally meet a woman I’ve admired for a long time.

12. Bridgette
    Posted June 13, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

I am never sure about linking what I write here since, in a week, I can write up to 50 articles relating to the LGBT Community. I wrote seven today alone.
    This week I took a break from reading though. The semester is over, and I needed to wait to read anything new.
    I am writing personal stuff on the societal erasure of women and of the Goddess, but that is related to my MA. I have also been writing a lot about my own dreams and about the effects of child rape trauma.

13. Renee
    Posted June 14, 2010 at 12:25 am | Permalink

Too Disabled To See Your Children: A woman is denied visitation when her husband decides that her disability will harm her children.
    Erykah Badu Keeps It Real: Looking at the history of slut shaming that aimed at Badu.
    Dear White Feminists Stop Erasing my Womanism: A comparison of article of womanism and feminism.
    “Un bebé no se hace solita, or, You can’t make a baby by yourself”: Looking at the role of Men in child kidnapping in Bolivia and the different sentencing law.

14. April
    Posted June 14, 2010 at 12:29 am | Permalink

Me and Danny debunk some ridiculous gender-privilege-related nonsense barfed out by Cosmo and AskMen.

15. that girl
    Posted June 14, 2010 at 12:35 am | Permalink

The Alaska article reminds me of a quote whose author escapes me: “Conservatives believe a person is a person from conception until birth.”

16. AThoughtyThought
    Posted June 14, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

I’ve also heard that a girl has rights “from conception until menstruation.” I like yours better, though.