What We Missed

It’s Equal Pay Day and Obama’s got something to say.
The world’s best lady Elvis.

Eva Illouz: the next great public intellectual?

Men in Sweden get parental leave.
Rihanna gets airbrushed.
“It is the job of young men to make a concerted effort to expect better of themselves and one another.”
An “abuse contract?” I thought I’d heard it all.
Our girl Ann writes: “Maybe it’s just my feminist idealism talking, but I fail to see why these ‘nurturing professions,’ as Rosin dubs them, must forever be the province of women.” Keep it talkin’ sister.
Make your own short video describing your path to pride and self-respect and join the community at Stand Together–an LGBTQ youth activism project. Kiki sets it off:

1. gwye
    Posted June 10, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

I don’t celebrate Equal Pay Day. Yes, women are still discriminated against, but EPD uses most outrageous, misleading statistics available. The 77 cents on the dollar stat comes from comparing all men to all women. But the only relevant statistics come from comparing men and women with the same career and the same experience. There, women still don’t earn as much as men, but at least some of the difference is accounted for.

2. heidi
    Posted June 10, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

The abuse contract link has a html snafu – the site is just pasted twice. Thanks for keeping us updated.

3. ebsith
    Posted June 10, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Mayor Al Krieger of Yuma, AZ let loose some fantastically homophobic and sexist remarks on Memorial Day while speaking on the repeal of DADT:
    “I cannot believe that a bunch of lacy-drawered, limp-wristed people could do what those men have done in the past.”

4. that girl
    Posted June 10, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

The abuse contract link seems to be busted.

5. uberhausfrau
    Posted June 10, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

re: it is the job of young men…
    holy shit. something coming out of the mouth of a texan that is intelligent!

6. Cyndel
    Posted June 10, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Rihanna isn’t airbrushed, she just turned sideways. Everyone looks thinner in that position. Though expecting the Daily Mail commenters to accept that some people can be actually pretty without airbrush is too much of a wishful thinking. If you check the comments under any of the articles, they’re full of hate.

7. erissian.myopenid.com
    Posted June 11, 2010 at 12:41 am | Permalink
  8. MandyV
    Posted June 11, 2010 at 7:44 am | Permalink

Just Don’t Call Me Ma’am: How I Ditched the South, Forgot My Manners, and Managed to Survive My Twenties with (Most of) My Dignity Still Intact
    I laughed out loud as she put a Southerner in Yankee-ville. It took me back to the times when a Texan smiled at me like I was a complete moron when I said “you guys” instead of “y’all.” And when I had, without thinking, told a Southern lady that I was from New England and her response was, “Really? You don’t sound British.”

9. nurgetts
    Posted June 11, 2010 at 8:20 am | Permalink

uberhausfrau: I agree it is refreshing. However, I have just emailed the writer of the article asking him why the focus only on college-age men?
    I have pointed out that it seems he is doing what a lot of men do…..deflecting guilt for machsimo on another group in society to avoid facing his own and his peer’s misogyny. And who is it that is teaching this stuff to young men? Older men!!
    I have experienced violent misogyny from young men and older men….so I have set the writer a challenge: Look to your own peer group. Look to your own friends and write about the misogyny therein. The very same misogyny that then filters down into the college-age generation.
    I will let you know if I receive a reply…though I doubt it somehow!!
    I am not critisizing the author for the article as such…it’s a refreshing article. I am just questioning why he didn’t look at his own, and his friend’s, misogyny first.

10. konkonsn
    Posted June 11, 2010 at 9:02 am | Permalink

I think the across-the-board comparison is more honest. If we use the stats of men and women in the same career, it blinds us to the idea that “women’s” work is always paid less, which is something we really need to work on.