Chew it over, you dicks

Did you get busted calling your friend a slut? Do you now need time to think up an excuse to feed to her father, who is creepily invested in his daughters’ sex lives? Here, have a Twix!

Mmmm, sexism. De-lish!

Transcript below the jump

Guy 1: Great party!
Guy 2: Yeah, don’t know about Tiffany wearing a white dress, though!
Tiffany’s dad: Excuse me, why shouldn’t my daughter be wearing white?
Voiceover: Need a moment? Try the chocolate, caramel and fresh cookie crunch of Twix.
Guy 2: Well sir, Tiffany has such a warm personality. She should be wearing a warm color.
Tiffany’s dad: You know, Tiffany is the sunshine of my life. I’ve got another daughter, want to meet her?
Guy 1: I do.
Tiffany’s dad: No, not you. She’s right over here.
Voiceover: When you need a moment, chew it over with Twix.

1. johninbuffalo
    Posted June 7, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

They’ve been running that ad campaign for awhile, and a lot of the ads were sexist, or creepy in some way. like the one where the guy is going through his girlfriend’s laundry, or the one where the two guys are reading a book called “How to Score a Hottie”, until one of them sees a girl he knows, and says “dude, how can you read this…”. Basically, the whole ad campaign has been sexist.

2. Brittany
    Posted June 7, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Ugh, I was waiting for this commercial to be covered.
    The Twix and Snicker’s commercials both made me stop buying their products.
    Remember the Quiznos commercial that came on recently, too?
    “I’m staring at your choose two,” was very very unsettling to me and not at all witty.

3. TabloidScully
    Posted June 7, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

You know, I think the dialogue is problematic because it smacks of sexism, as does the underpinning rhetoric of the white dress as being symbolic of sexual purity, as well as the father’s immediate defense of “Oh noe they din’t.” I actually find the father’s reaction as problematic, if not more so, than the implied slut-shaming. Imagine if the dialogue had instead been penned by a Third Waver:
    Guy 1: Great party!
    Guy 2: Yeah, don’t know about Tiffany wearing a white dress, though!
    Tiffany’s dad: Excuse me, why shouldn’t my daughter be wearing white?
    Guy 2: Well sir, Tiffany is an impressive, articulate, and intelligent woman. Her graduate thesis for women’s studies primarily opined that the greatest gateway to freedom would be shucking off antiquated notions of virtue, such as white globally translating into the symbol for virginal experiences that simply aren’t consistent with the idea that women can be and are sexually independent and empowered, provided they don’t have ignorant neanderthals like us exploiting their long history of oppression in the interest of selling chocolate bars. So without commenting on your daughter’s own sexual history because it isn’t relevant to the discussion or my business anyway, I am merely suggesting that Tiffany’s place as an advocate for other women in society make white an interesting color choice when someone of her perspective would be better-served in a color without the sexist associations of being chattel to the men in her life.
    Tiffany’s dad: You know, Tiffany is one of the most articulate associates of my life. I’ve got another daughter who is thinking about attending Penn majoring in queer theory. Would you like to share your opinions with her? She’s right over here.

4. Comrade Kevin
    Posted June 7, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Very difficult for me to watch.

5. cattrack2
    Posted June 7, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Frankly I’m not sure if the commercial isn’t panning sexism by way of making fun of the guys’ boorish behavior. Clearly the guy has made a sexist joke & clearly he’s in trouble for having done so. Its kind of like Archie Bunker’s role in All in the Family. Sure Archie made all manner of sexist, racist, etc jokes, but ultimately the joke was on him.

6. Michelle J
    Posted June 7, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Oh… my… god. That was the most awesomely hilariously perfect rewrite that could possibly exist. Thank you so much for that.

7. Kim C.
    Posted June 7, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

…and ultimately he was lovable ol’ Archie.
    Sure, people laugh at boorish behavior, but in doing so they are excusing and allowing it, even making it “cute” instead of offensive.

8. sukiwoyaxul
    Posted June 7, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

Not for nothing, but white isn’t even representative of purity. The actual color used to represent virginity is blue.
    The white wedding dress represents opulence — the idea being that you can afford to buy a white dress that you’ll only wear once.

9. dark_morgaine
    Posted June 8, 2010 at 1:02 am | Permalink

All the twix commercials of this ad campaign are sexist. I remember seeing the first one and wondering how exactly the candy bar related to the stupid thing the guy said. In real life one can’t exactly stuff a chocolate bar in one’s mouth to buy time to explain away the sexist remarks.
    When I first saw this one, I wasn’t exactly watching it, since I hate commercials in general, and I just heard the dialogue. I thought it was the groom who commented on Tiffany, but then I saw the father go introduce him to the other daughter, and realized that made little sense. This makes me even madder, because in addition to slut-shaming, it implies that Tiffany’s, or any woman’s, sexuality is up for discussion and scrutiny of the community.

10. LurkinMerkin
    Posted June 8, 2010 at 1:34 am | Permalink

I didn’t think Twix could do worse than the commercial about the female blogger and the dude who just wants to get her into his apartment. Then I saw this. It’s actually so much worse. Amazing. Thankfully I don’t watch a lot of TV, because every time on of these comes on I worry that I might sprain an eye rolling muscle.
    Also, I will never again eat Twix (or Snickers, as someone already mentioned), because sexism doesn’t taste good even if it IS coated in a layer of crappy chocolate.

11. moodygirl
    Posted June 8, 2010 at 7:38 am | Permalink

Eh… but he isn’t in trouble for making a sexist joke; he’s in trouble for impugning the virtue of the dude’s daughter within earshot. The dad’s response reflects just as much sexism as the joke.

12. heyitsmartine
    Posted June 8, 2010 at 8:41 am | Permalink

I think he’s less in trouble for making a sexist comment, and more in trouble for making a comment within earshot of the woman’s father. It’d be something else if the subject of the comment had some kind of witty reply — then I might buy this reading of it. But as it were, he makes a comment that is problematic to the father because it is about his daughter.
    Also, for coming up with an excuse, the sexist gets rewarded, with an offer of the other man’s daughter. He hardly seems like the butt of the joke.

13. tanglethis.wordpress.com
    Posted June 8, 2010 at 10:47 am | Permalink

You’re not wrong about the classed significance of white, but I don’t think it’s really useful to say a color means THIS and doesn’t mean THAT. Sure, blue is the Virgin Mary’s color, and may have been associated with virginity further back in history than white (and that, too, is a class thing; the deep blue of the Virgin’s robes in old paintings was difficult to acquire and produce). But the virginal associations of white are deeply entrenched, particularly in American culture.
    That matters for this commercial because its “humor” wouldn’t be legible to us if there weren’t still standing expectations that a bride should somehow visually embody purity via the white dress, and that her sexual status is open for comment.

14. Emily
    Posted June 8, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

I love you for that so much!

15. ryang
    Posted June 9, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Shorter Twix commercial: “Straight men who eat Twix will each be provided a woman to have sex with.”
    Looks like we can all go home; sexism has ended.