Daniel Radcliffe’s Trevor Project PSA: “Be proud of who you are”

I’m very happy to see the the PSA Daniel Radcliffe filmed for The Trevor Project released. The Trevor Project operates a crisis and suicide prevention helpline for for LGBTQ youth. Radcliffe has a lot of cultural cachet with young people who have grown up with him as Harry Potter, so I think it’s incredibly valuable for him to publicize Trevor’s work. Radcliffe also gave the organization a major donation. The PSA has now debuted online:

Transcript after the jump.
For free and confidential support you can call The Trevor Project 24 hours a day at (866) 4-U-TREVOR.
Related: Suicide ends transgender lives too.

The Trevor Project is the leading national organization focused crisis and suicide prevention efforts among lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth. If you’re feeling helpless or hopeless there’s always a safe place to turn. Call the Trevor Helpline at (866) 4-U-TREVOR. It’s free, confidential, and you can talk to someone 24 hours a day. Or visit the website at TheTrevorProject.org. Be proud of who you are.

1. Toongrrl
    Posted May 17, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Harry Potter would be proud of this video.

2. getfighted
    Posted May 17, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Go DanRad! I’ve been a fan of the HP movies for most of my youth, and I know Daniel has been a vocal supporter of the LGBT community for a long time. This isn’t the first time he’s spoken about being comfortable and happy with yourself. Harry Potter would indeed be proud.
    He’s also a big fan of drag shows and has always wanted to do one himself.

3. Jessica Lee
    Posted May 18, 2010 at 2:02 am | Permalink

Oh Daniel Radcliffe. So dreamy, and so awesomely progressive!

4. Nicole
    Posted May 18, 2010 at 9:28 am | Permalink

As would Hermione Granger!
    Sorry, I’m totally nerding out over this. :) This is awesome. Radcliffe is a major LGBTQ supporter and is one of the few celebs who doesn’t freak out about “malicious” rumours when he’s (often) been mistaken for gay; he thinks it’s funny but not insulting at all. He really truly seems to have a healthy, open attitude about sexuality and it’s just so refreshing to see, especially in someone so young. I hope the current, younger generation is budding with other like-minded celebrities, and I think his constant campaigning is really inspiring.
    *end swoonage*

5. OKathyS
    Posted May 18, 2010 at 9:34 am | Permalink

This is great! It’s a breath of fresh air.

6. Toongrrl
    Posted May 19, 2010 at 1:33 am | Permalink

Nerding out is permissable (at least in my presence)!!!!!! There is a “Big Gay Sketch Show” sketch where Fitzwilliam goes to Hogwarts. Sweet…….http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsEbNPP8Edo

7. ArtOfMe
    Posted May 20, 2010 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Aww, what a great guy! It makes me happy to see that some young actors are using their fame/money to help others. Sometimes I get annoyed when rich white actors just stand around in an African school or something and that is called “helping others,” but I think Dan Radcliffe really is doing something to truly help people.