Weekly Feminist Reader

Happy Mother’s Day!
Today is also the 50th anniversary of the birth control pill.
What deportation does to families.
The funny women of SNL.
Important facts on Arizona’s “problem” with illegal immigration.
On teenage girls identifying as feminist.
Two thoughtful blog posts on natural childbirth.
Catholic bishops are upset with a group of nuns who were openly pro-health reform.
Amnesty International calls for an office of maternal health.
Calling out racism in the debate over outsourcing.
The nation’s fastest-growing union is now headed by a woman.
Obama signs a bill to improve health care for female veterans.
Several feminists discuss “femivores.”
Esquire profiles Yahoo! CEO Carol Bartz, one of the few women to lead a Fortune 500 company.
Nearly half of all women obtaining an abortion have been in a relationship for a year or longer with the man who impregnated them.
What have you been reading/writing this week?

1. Brett K
    Posted May 9, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

I wrote An Open Letter to Stephen Harper, in which I ask Canada’s Prime Minister what he expects to achieve through his blatant disregard for women’s rights and opinions.
    Also, feminist webcomics continue to be awesome.

2. Becky
    Posted May 9, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Permalink
  3. RMJ
    Posted May 9, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

This week, at Deeply Problematic:
    For Music Monday, I posted some Laura Nyro tunes.
    The beginning of my narrative on disability and birth control.
    I continued to cover the Transgender Economic Empowerment Initiative and critique the Initiative’s coverage in the media.
    I post my thoughts on why Kristen Stewart of the Twilight Series is not under any obligation to smile.

4. Bridgette
    Posted May 9, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

Gyn/Ecology by Mary Daly and The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston. For those who might gasp, yes, they are paper books.
    As for what I have written…
    Mostly working on my packet work for my Masters in Arts. I’ve been doing a lot of research into feminism from the four decades of the last century, and several pieces regarding the current state of the LGBT Community.

5. Meg
    Posted May 9, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

It’s already Monday on this side of the world, but I hope those of you still celebrating Mother’s Day are having a lovely day!
    This week at Planning the Day, I pondered the usefulness and ethics of “fake it till you make it” as career advice, since I’m in a helping profession (women’s health education).
    I started a tumblr!
    And I rounded up my favorite recent food and food politics posts.
    Enjoy!

6. Jessica Lee
    Posted May 9, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

Speaking of SNL, I wrote a blog in the Feministing Community about how a recurring skit, called Scared Straight, which makes rape jokes multiple times in the sketch:

7. Bianca
    Posted May 9, 2010 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

I asked why people are ignoring the racial implications of Arizona’s new law and why it’s so easy for conservative and sometimes liberal Caucasians to ask “What’s so bad about this law, if you don’t do anything illegal you should be fine!”…. It’s so easy for somebody who more than likely won’t get asked for their papers to say things like this to a Latino…

8. FYouMudFlaps
    Posted May 9, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

Carol Bartz is awesome, I wanna be her best friend.

9. Suzann
    Posted May 9, 2010 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

The political ad article confused me a bit.
    Why is it a Republican matter when a Democrat runs an ad against another Democrat in a Democratic primary? (I won’t comment on the contents of the ad itself, which certainly seems iffy… but as I don’t know the specifics of the two politicians or their policies?) In the actual election that would be a two-party issue, but I always thought primaries were sort of ‘in house’ and outsiders should sort of keep out of it. (I mean, would you *trust* a Republican politician to give a Democrat any *good* advice??? I don’t think so.)

10. Posted May 9, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

This week at From Austin to A&M:
    I talked about race, gender, and disability in Doctor Who cosplay, in response to CaitieCat’s fantabulous discussion of raced cosplay at Shakesville.
    Also applauded Grey’s Anatomy, of all shows, for showing us that women who choose not to have babies aren’t broken.
    Finally, I complained about one of my campus newspapers, Maroon Weekly, for its consistently awful, judgmental, and sexist as all get-out love/sex advice column.

11. KP
    Posted May 9, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

Marquette University made an offer for the position of the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences to Dr. Jodi O’Brien, then retracted the offer because Dr. O’Brien is an out lesbian. The current statement by the university is that she was “not right” for the position due to writings inconsistent with Catholic teaching, but what most likely happened is that homophobic donors to the university threatened to pull their donations if Dr. O’Brien was hired.
    and

12. Dena
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 12:04 am | Permalink

I’ve been reading mainly about Elena Kagan and her credentials to possibly becoming the next Supreme Court justice once Steven officially retires.
    Also, I did a letter writing campaign at my school during my finals week to Obama about the discriminatory and racist action that Arizona decided to take with their new anti-immigration bill. So, it saddens me that so many states are deciding to follow in their footsteps. Damn shame.
    I find it extremely screwed that a man used an IPhone app to meet and have sex with a 14-Year-Old Girl.
    And, what is up with anti-gay activists being caught in seemingly compromising situations. Why must they go on a relentless crusade against queer people like this?

13. Gender Across Borders
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 9:14 am | Permalink

I hate to leave this comment here–but was wondering if you could clarify “what are you reading/writing this week”? In the past, GAB has left some links to posts in the comments of this weekly feature (like on Feministe’s Shameless Self-Promotion Sunday), but in the past months these comments have not been approved.
    We have tried to contact Feministing (both Emily and Kyle, bloggers from GAB) about this, but haven’t heard a response.
    Apologies for leaving this message in comments, but perhaps this might be the best way to communicate. If someone could clarify why these comments haven’t gone through, or what you mean by “what are you reading/writing this week” that would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Emily and editors from Gender Across Borders

14. Jessica
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 9:22 am | Permalink

Hey Emily and folks, I just looked back at your old comments on What We Missed and it looks like they’ve all been approved…you don’t have any pending comments in the queue so we’re certainly not holding them up. I’ve also searched our emails and don’t see any recent emails from you….when you have issues with comments in the future you should email Community Moderator Anna (anna at feministing dot com) Sorry for the inconvenience!

15. mamram
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Regarding femivores: As somebody with experience in this area, keeping enough chickens to provide eggs for three or four people absolutely does not require a person to stay home. I seriously doubt that there are very many women who choose to stay home to raise chickens who would not have stayed home anyway. That article was kind of silly.

16. EvilSlutClique
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 11:36 am | Permalink

That keeps happening to us too. Must be some weird kinda glitch that is eating the comments.

17. Posted May 10, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Sometimes a T-Shirt Isn’t Just a T-Shirt: I grew up in the town next to Morgan Hill, where a group of students decided to wear American flag t-shirts on Cinco de Mayo. This is about much more than t-shirts and “patriotism.”
    I also thought Deeply Problematic’s discussion of the requirement that celebrities enjoy the paparazzi was really interesting. And it even made me like Kristin Stewart a little bit.

18. EvilSlutClique
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

See, lol… it just happened right now. We posted 2 comments in this thread. One with links to our recent blog posts and one in response to Gender Across Borders. Only one of them made it past moderation. Weirdness.

19. Bridgette
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

*grimaces* I actually have never wanted to mention my own blog on these forums, but our blog is having a lot of comment problems as well. Even for the administrators, not everything is getting through. We’re not sure what is causing it. I am not sure what Feministing is using for their dashboard, but ours is having some major issues. They may be having the same problems as we are.

20. Jessica
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Think I’ve figured it out – embedded links are seen as “spam” by our system, so they’re not under our normal pending comments folder. Now that we know, it shouldn’t be a prob anymore!

21. MandyV
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

I’m not convinced we need another fairytale-meets-real-life movie. Especially one that follows the formula of a woman being put in danger because of a man and then said woman is saved by a man. This type of plot line puts the title character into a passive role that depends on the actions of the male characters. Ondine continues to perpetuate the illusion that if a woman finds the right man everything will work out for the best.
    King Kong Theory: A Manifesto For Women Who Can’t Or Won’t Obey The Rules is most easily my favourite read so far this year; it packs a punch and voices everything I feel about our oppressive patriarchal society. This work is completely free of any hesitation to say what is really going on in the Western world today. Virginie Despentes blew me away with her fresh and honest analysis of what women (and men) struggle within their half-baked, destructive gender roles.

22. Toongrrl
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Love you SNL and Betty White
    Julie Z is so right on and Hillary Clinton is only a bitch in the words of the fabulous and just-as-bitchy Tina Fey. “Bitches get stuff done!”
    Why can’t a woman be the farmer? Why the farmwife?

23. April
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

I wrote about my recent lack of interest in identifying with the online feminist community:

24. EvilSlutClique
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Ah, that makes sense. We always use html for our links. (Although the first few comments in this thread had that and those were approved.) But it’s good to know it’s nothing personal, haha!

25. uberhausfrau
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

i would be interested to hear more about how you do this. i currently stay home, but will probably be going back to work in the next year or two and want chickens and guinea hens worse than any case of baby rabies ive ever had.
    i hope i dont hijack your comment too much but:
    “I’m sorry. Women who stay home to raise chickens are out of their minds. It’s like homeschooling, but with farm animals.”
    fuck you. fuck you. fuck you. katha pollitt. in the recent mother’s day posting there have been a few comments about people not getting or not believing in the animosity between feminists/work outside the home mothers and stay at home-ers. it’s shit like this that is at the least extremely dismissive and at the worst ableist bullshit, that causes and perpetuates it. or again why “highly educated” women would want to stay home/urban farm. like there’s something better we should be doing. or it’s not something you consider a worthy job unless someone else is cutting you a check.
    i shouldnt quit my day job? fuck you katha pollitt. my 5yo know not to say “you dont work/have a job.” he knows that just because i dont leave to go somewhere to my job doesnt mean i dont work. what’s your fucking excuse?
    *gets of soapbox*

26. Gender Across Borders
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Jessica; we appreciate the response–Kyle and I had emailed Anna but hadn’t heard anything. Good to hear it was just a glitch in the system. Thanks again!

27. uberhausfrau
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

of course ms. pollitt would probably say i should just go out and get a realy job so i can buy my own stuff or that my hobby is only one step up from pooping in a hole in the ground, but i wrote a post about dumpster-diving.  and below that is my month old post about angie jackson’s abortion.

28. Anna
    Posted May 11, 2010 at 2:18 am | Permalink

hi emily and gender across borders. i definitely have NOT intentionally left comments you posted un-published. i also just checked my inbox and it doesn’t look like ive received any emails from you or kyle? make sure you are emailing anna [at] feministing [dot] com
    sorry about the tech glitch!

29. Bridgette
    Posted May 11, 2010 at 7:58 am | Permalink

My cousin and her husband use to raise chickens as well as a lot of other farm animals, and both still worked outside the home. So long as you were not talking a whole heard of cows or a whole flock of sheep, etc, the work was never that much. They raised chickens, and had a few sheep. She was a school teacher and he worked in the city courts. They lived out in the country.
    So, I have to say that, no, raising a few chickens does not mean you have to stay home all day. I live in Vermont where raising your own chickens is not considered abnormal.