Is this the softer side of Sears?

Screen shot of Sears' Girlfriend Pillow, pink with fake breasts
I mean…really?! I mean, here at Feministing we’re no strangers to bizarre dismembered women’s body pillows – but Sears?
But the best part is really the product description, though:

Do your wife’s business trips make you unease at bed time? Perhaps the fact that you don’t have her around to shares your dreams makes it harder for you to fall sleep. This comfortable pillow recreates the comfort of having your beloved partner. Thinking about the fact of sleeping alone produce a isolated feeling, especially if you are used to have a soft and comfortable arm or maybe you are enjoy a better sleep when you locate your neck in your girlfriend or wife’s breast. This hug pillow has an extension that replicates the soft arm of your partner and also adds a breast-like sensation on the pillow, giving all the contour of your love one. Your days of uncomfortable nights are over. Whether your wife is away working or you broke up with your girlfriend, this hug pillow will maintain the comfort of your sleep. The Girlfriend Pillow imitates the contour of your loved one at your side while you sleep.

Ew.

1. Anonymous
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Gee. I can’t wait to see the boyfriend pillow. (Not).

2. ronia
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

You know I could almost get over these as a ‘partner comfort’ kind of pillow, if it wasn’t for the breasts sticking out of them.

3. LLLyns
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

I kind of like it–maybe because it makes men sound all warm, snuggley and sentimental–which is kind of cool considering masculine norms as they are.

4. mls312
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Permalink
  5. Lilith Luffles
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

When I’m lonely at night and miss sleeping with my boyfriend, I hold onto a normal pillow. He does the same. It works just fine, even without the fake arm and breasts.
    Plus… C’mon, Sears, is that really your best quality? It looks like it was made during a frat boy hazing ritual.

6. shana
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Oh, but there IS a boyfriend pillow:
    Sadly, they don’t advertise any kind of “penis-like sensation,” and it costs about $30 more… bummer.

7. Tara K.
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

How the fuck does this work?
    “maybe you are enjoy a better sleep when you locate your neck in your girlfriend or wife’s breast.”
    How is that comfortable? Or possible? Do you sleep on top of her with her tits around your neck like a travel pillow??

8. elite user
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Permalink
  9. IkaTaii
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

In response to the first comment, that already exists http://bit.ly/9FXdxb
    For some reason, the really lazily made breasts make the girlfriend pillow a lot creepier. Like whoever designed it didn’t bother looking at an actual woman ever, or even an actual human being because shoulders don’t work that way.
    But, really, creepy pillows for men to ‘hug’ aren’t exactly a new phenomenon. Japan perfected the art like a decade ago.

10. syndella
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Already exists
    omg, dismembered males. or whatever.

11. caeron
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Actually, the boyfriend pillow came first and has been around for a number of years. You can google ‘boyfriend pillow’ and you’ll see.
    This is the first time I’ve seen a female version though. I think they’re both silly.

12. nate thomas
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

i think it is just weird. a one armed torso is not comforting to me!!!

13. pokemontaco.wordpress.com
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

That thing is so ridiculous looking I almost want one.
    Why is the hand yellow? Are those meant to look like rubber gloves or something? Could have been done a lot better.

14. jstein
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

This weirds me out. Obviously, the dismemberment part is weird but (as has already been mentioned) this looks like it was created by someone who saw a woman when he was six and now (in his fifties) is trying to remember. Just so far off the mark.

15. zes
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

On the plus side, it is apparently designed for men whose wives are “away working” or go on business trips! And the men are encouraged to miss their wife and be OK with acknowledging that emotion.
    Whatever else this is, it is at least selling the idea that it is OK to be the supportive, emotionally un-stunted husband of a woman with a career. A small step forward.

16. IAmGopherrr
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

his is just weird and creepy. Because it has breasts I can see this being used for other things. This is also incredibly infantile.

17. Lisa_G
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

I find it really degrading, I mean its not as bad as plastic vaginas, those are real creepy, those should be taken off the market along with dildos, who wants dismemberment body parts, who buys these things?

18. decleyre!
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Oh, I see it’s got some pretty good reviews:
    “So, when my pick-up lines prove unsuccessful at the bar, it’s nice to know that I’ll always have someone to snuggle up with when I get home. It won’t complain about being unsatisfied, or question why her memory of the last six hours is so foggy, and it doesn’t threaten to call the cops if I don’t give her cab fare for the ride home.
    The Boyfriend Pillow is, quite simply, perfect.”
    -Chatchi, Chicago

19. Lydia
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

I agree. It’s kind of gruesome and macabre.
    I guess it’s like a security blanket or teddy bear. For grown men. And it’s a teddy…woman. With no head, legs, or left arm. Weirdly infantilizing and creepy.

20. Lydia
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Yeah, Freud would have had a field day with this thing.

21. paperispatient
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

I’ve seen this before, and like others have said, I’d heard of the “boyfriend” pillow before I’d heard of this one. Not that that means we can’t do a gendered analysis of the products, of the dismemberment of bodies, and of the ways our culture commodifies relationships, but it’s worth keeping in mind.
    Also, it’s almost nice that the product description keeps referring to the absent girlfriend as “beloved partner” and “loved one.” That’s a whole lot better than some other terms used to refer to girlfriends specifically and women in general in advertising, even if it is a bit cheesy.

22. Sex Toy James
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

I feel sorry for people who would want that pillow. If they’re lonely and uncomfortable, and it helps, then I wouldn’t begrudge them their comfort. If they want it enough to risk the ridicule of others, then I wouldn’t pile any more judgment on them.
    Is this product in all it’s crudeness and wearing a dish glove really a threat to feminism? How?

23. arielmorgan.livejournal.com
    Posted May 1, 2010 at 12:40 am | Permalink

I’m just disturbed by the anatomical inaccuracies more than anything. I mean, they make body pillows– I keep like five pillows in bed with me to make up for sometimes feeling lonely. (Sometimes I luxuriate in my monopoly of the bed space also.) …But the weird boobs, shoulder angle and yellow hand is by far the worst part of the whole mess. Also, what’s up with the grammar in the description? That might be a clue as to it’s origins.

24. lunacydress
    Posted May 1, 2010 at 3:30 am | Permalink

I knew this existed, but Sears selling it is weird. And who the hell wrote that description…creepy and grammatically incorrect.
    This is even creepier, though:

25. Jennifer
    Posted May 1, 2010 at 8:49 am | Permalink

They have a boyfriend pillow just like that and I don’t see the big deal. It’s nice when you’re loney and have no one to cuddle. Not everything related in any way to genders or relationships is biggoted or sexist… sheesh! Bet so much money this post won’t even make it through the moderators just because it doesn’t agree with your opinion. This place is becoming Fox News… :-/

26. kelin
    Posted May 1, 2010 at 11:42 am | Permalink

So weird. Am I the only one who thought it was sarcastically mocking the annoying “boyfriend pillow” concept? Maybe I’m just bitter but it seems like the reference to the wife’s business trips is sort of a winky joke. And I find it bizarre that Sears apparently failed to have a native English speaker vet the copy.

27. sunshinefeminist
    Posted May 1, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

just sayin…this isn’t sold by sears per se…it’s just available through the sears website which pulls in products from different websites. sears does, however, have displays for the sexist dockers “wear the pants” campaign.
    i only know this because i am a soon to be ex-employee of sears. (thank goodness)

28. Martine Votvik
    Posted May 2, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

damn, the yellow hand makes it look like somebody killed and hacked up Marge Simpson… Who would do such a thing?

29. LLLyns
    Posted May 2, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

And also, maybe I like it because I am super queer and I sort of want one. ;)

30. Toongrrl
    Posted May 3, 2010 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Eeeee……

31. Sloppy Sandwich
    Posted May 3, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

I like it because my wife has giant shoulders and one yellow hand. Don’t judge me!

32. judassong
    Posted May 4, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

I fail to see how this is creepy…its weird looking, but it provides someone with something to hold onto in bed. It’s not marketed as a replacement for real human contact- its purpose is to help someone sleep better. I could happily deal with my partner having one- it would give her something to hold onto for physical comfort (she likes cuddly sleep) while I have my space. Of course, she could use a normal pillow if she liked… but this kind of looks comfy (if weird) and it’s about the same price as a normal pillow.