A Feministing congratulations

Photobucket
I wanted to take a second to properly congratulate (properly as in, on Feministing) my dear sister and fellow co-founder and editor Jessica on some very exciting news: She’s having a baby!
This not only is a ridiculously happy time for me because I’ll get to be an auntie, but really exciting for all of us at Feministing. We know Jessica and Andrew will be amazing parents to what I like to call one bad-ass blogger baby, and we couldn’t be more thrilled for them. The kicker? Of course two political bloggers would have a baby due on election day. No joke.
So a big congrats to Jessica and Andrew on the incredible news! Leave well wishes in comments!

1. Comrade Kevin
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

I smile when I think about the product of two Feminist parents.

2. Dawn.
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Yay feminist babies! Congratulations Jessica and Andrew. :)

3. Thomas
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Congratulations. I usually deflect from mushiness about parenting with snark, but I won’t do that now. Jessica, you and Andrew will be amazing parents.
    I look at my children and think, “when they asked me what I did to make the world better for them, I need to have an answer.” They are my ever-present moral compass, and being a parent makes me a better person.

4. Dana
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Congratulations Jessica and Andrew :)

5. Marc
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

1) Congratulations. It makes me smile thinking about how smart and beautiful that child will be. Will there be Monday Morning Baby blogging?
    2) I can see the “anti-misandry” jackasses gearing up for another round of attacks already. But such is the life of a public figure, eh?
    3) Does this mean the end of, at least for a while, Feministing Happy Hour?
    4) Congratulations again!

6. genericjanedoe
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Yay fourth wave baby :)

7. LurkinMerkin
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

*gasp!* I thought Feminists hated children!
    Congratulations!

8. SaraLaffs
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Yay! Congrats to you both!
    And, Vanessa, being an aunt *rocks*!

9. MikeT
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Congrats! Tell Andrew to cut back on caffeine now, because he’s going to want his tolerance to be low once the kid gets here.
    (Is it cheap to say that I guessed you were pregnant when you mentioned taking out your navel ring?)

10. EvilSlutClique
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Congratulations!

11. Thomas
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

No, we love them, sauteed, and sometimes smoked. In fact, it’s the only form of animal protein many feminists get.

12. Mollie
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

WOWOWOW eyes popped when I read this. Congrats!!! Your kid is gonna be awesome.

13. jacqueline.allain
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Yay! Congratulations Jessica!!

14. ElleStar
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

What happy news for your family! Congrats!

15. Tragic Magic
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Hooray for progressive kids! Congrats to J and A!

16. Jessica
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks to everyone for all of the lovely congratulations! (And thanks especially to my sis)
    Now…does anyone have any anti-morning sickness tips?!

17. danilina
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

before you rise from bed eat some saltine crackers. Apparently that works.
    BTW- for some reason, I had an inkling that a baby was coming soon.

18. Rachel
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

WOO! Congratulation, I’m so excited for you both =)

19. Furiousfemale
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

For some reason eating cereal with generous amounts of milk seemed to help my stomach settle during those fist few nausea filled weeks, it was one of the few things I could tolerate eating. Ginger tea also helps :) Congratulations.

20. Chelsa
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Non-drowsy gravol is made from ginger, so there’s no drugs-which-are-bad-for-baby in there. My morning sickness was 24-hour sickness, so I’ll give you all of my desperate methods. :P
    Of course:
    -Eat even if you think you aren’t really hungry or are too queasy to eat. Having food in your stomach settles your stomach.
    -Ginger-ale (I like it flat, myself)
    -High protein foods before bed
    -Crackers before getting out of bed
    -Peppermint aromatherapy stuff
    -Sleep as MUCH as you can
    -I had the SO give me tummy rubs when it got too intense.
    Hope it helps!

21. Dena
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

OMG! Congrats, Jessica! I’m so happy for the two of y’all! Your baby’s going to be one kickass feminist! Congrats again!!! =D

22. Nyah
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

YAY! That is such amazing news! Congrats! awwww feminist babies :) You guys are going to be such great parents!

23. rebekah
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

hey jessica,
    congrats on the soon-to-be baby (how far along are Second, I haven’t ever been pregnant but I went through radiation treatment and I was also older when my mom was pregnant with my brother and sister. She would keep saltines with her at all times, and eat a few whenever she started to feel nauseous. I too used this when the drugs were kicking my butt and it seemed to help a little for me too. My mom and my aunts all swear by ginger. A few of my aunts have also started using mylanta, and they say that that helps too. I’m also a biology student and one of the interesting things that we are learning about right now is the biological process behind morning sickness during pregnancy. The theory that biologists have come up with is that you get morning sickness because your body is trying to keep things out of your system that while are not harmful to you, could potentially be harmful to the embryo. This is why most womens’ morning sickness goes away after the first trimester, when the majority of development that could be harmed by such things occurs. I don’t know if I necessarily buy into that, but it’s food for thought. Congrats again.

24. lemur
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

Anything with ginger is supposed to help.If you’re a lollipop person they make ginger lollipops. Peppermints are supposed to help too. Though, this is coming from a motion sickness veteran, so YMMV.
    Congratulations!

25. Athenia
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

A feministing baby! Congrats!
    Can we see big belly pictures??? Big belly pictures are the best!

26. doahleigh
    Posted April 29, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

So incredibly exciting! Glad you shared the news here. Yay!

27. Toongrrl
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Congrats! Jessica! Whatever
    you do, don’t tell the child
    that “high school is the time of your life.” Aaaaahhhhhhh!!!!

28. ChoirGrrl
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Nibble on saltine crackers throughout the day – especially right before you go to bed at night, and first thing in the morning.

29. Jessica Lee
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Congratulations, Jessica! I’m hopeful of a future with more feminists. :)

30. allegra
    Posted April 30, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

Ooo. I got a little giddy reading it! :o ) Jessica, you’re a truly great person (and a personal inspiration to me) and I wish you all the best and am sure you’ll be a great mom.

31. Bee
    Posted May 2, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Peppermint Tea.
    Olives.

32. uberhausfrau
    Posted May 2, 2010 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

congrats on starting one of the awe-somest and humbling exeperiences out there.
    just a few pointers (and i’ll leave it at that)- everyone and their second cousin’s neighbour is going to be giving you advice. it is your pregnant-lady-privilege to tell them to shove it. it is also your pregnant-lady-privilege to not be topic of conversation. damn skippy pregnant women are smug!
    second and third trimester sex and sex dreams are the shiz-nit! enjoy!

33. Pencils
    Posted May 3, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Congratulations, Jessica! Raising a little feminist is a wonderful thing. I’m having a blast.
    I liked the Preggie Pops a lot, they also come in drops. They also come in “non” preggie version called Queasy pops (or drops) that have slightly different flavors. Both are good. And as others have said, eating helps, you’ll feel less sick if you have food in your stomach already, so don’t skip meals or snacks. A friend of mine used to keep crackers and water by her bed so she could have some before even getting up and feeling queasy. I tried the wrist bands when I was going on a plane; I didn’t feel bad, so I’m not sure if they worked or if I would have felt OK anyway.

34. FeministDK
    Posted May 3, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Congratulations Jessica. This is awesome news. :-) I am a feminist living in Denmark. I ordered your book “full frontal feminism”. I am receiving it very soon, can’t wait. I am very excited.
    I wish you and your partner the very best :-)